Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 11:51 AM

62 posts, read 79,804 times

Advertisements

I was finally offered a job today and because I have interviews tomorrow and Wednesday , I said If I could have a few days to think about it so I could still explore those jobs(the job I was offered was not in my field or something I really want to do). She didn't seem like she minded what soever but would it have been better to just accept and then if something else happens , tell them no or did I do the right thing.

Just worried they could now hire someone else.

Also , is it OK to still look for jobs while getting a new job. I don't want to start a job and then leave right away If I'm offered something better so it worries me to even accept this one where I know the first time a better job is offered , Ill leave.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 01:22 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Unless you expect those other places to offer you a job on the spot, you need to decide if you want job #1 or not.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:28 PM

so then what about my other question , is it ok to accept and then still look considering its not really what I want to do.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:01 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
do you have a job that you are leaving to start this position?

Old 01-13-2014, 02:17 PM

420 posts, read 768,392 times
There are two schools of thought:

1: Follow through with what you say you're going to do. If you accept a job you show up for it. if you are offered a position they can't just call you up and say, "nevermind we found someone better" so you should never do this. Even going to other interviews may ruin your chances of keeping your offer secured.

2: You play their game and play your options because employers have so many ways to make your life a living hell. (Excessive testing followed by rejection, 4 in-person interviews followed by no call no record, Interviewer offers you a job and then goes on maternity leave and there is no record of you, or even causing you to buy a plane ticket and expensive clothing only to reject you. All of these have happened (most of them to me).

You have to decide which side of the fence you fall.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:54 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,026 times
Don't ask me why, but some employers actually get offended if you tell them you're considering alternatives. I know someone who got 2 job offers, one was close to home and the other slightly higher pay. He was given the offer letter after his final interview. He told the company owner he had gotten accepted with another company and he was asking for some time to decide. The owner took back his offer letter and tore it up. So my friend was down to 1 choice.

Everyone I know and me think this was unprofessional, but there are some that get offended like that.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
so then what about my other question , is it ok to accept and then still look considering its not really what I want to do.

Yes.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:35 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
What do you mean by "ok"?

Old 01-14-2014, 11:36 AM

well its not like its retail , this job is a corporate job , just not what I want to do career wise or what I can afford to work for salary wise. MY other problem is that I told them I would make a decision by Wednesday but I have gotten so many interviews the last few days that it makes me nervous to accept. Not only that but I have sent out so many apps so I could get more interviews as well.

Also , how do you do interviews when you have a job?

Old 01-14-2014, 12:11 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Yes it's okay, why wouldn't it be okay to better your situation?

Ask the other two when you might hear something.

If they will take a while take the first job and start it, if they call and say you got the job, find out the salary and what not, and if they are offering more and it's what you really wanted, take it.

You can also probably delay your start date by a week or two.

Once you accept a job that doesn't mean you have to stay for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search