Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:39 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,575,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
If I couldn't make the interview, I'd actually call ASAP and let them know of that fact. If the interview time came and went, I'd want to call them and explain why I couldn't be there at the allotted time. Moreover, I would expect them to demand not just any explanation of my absence, but a valid one at that. I expect the same in return. Employees are not doing themselves any favors by communicating during the interview process that they are willing to tolerate bullsh*t. That's how employees end up being miserable - it can even end up derailing a promising career track. Taking a job at a dysfunctional company can be just as bad as having a gap in employment. Don't do it, OP. Not unless there is a really good reason.
I've got bitter news for you. To the OP, that company is still a possible employer. Keep in mind that we work for other people. Employers can get away with poor communication, but we can't. Yes, life is unfair.

I've had potential employers waited for half a year before dropping a simple "you are no longer being considered...", months after the position has been filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 05:26 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,327,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
I've got bitter news for you. To the OP, that company is still a possible employer. Keep in mind that we work for other people. Employers can get away with poor communication, but we can't. Yes, life is unfair.

I've had potential employers waited for half a year before dropping a simple "you are no longer being considered...", months after the position has been filled.
Employers get away with whatever people let them get away with. It's not as if I'm suggesting that the OP take the company to court; I'm only suggesting that the OP not put up with this, and look for a company that won't treat them in such a manner. I really feel sorry for anyone who accepts the notion that employers have the upper hand and that they have no control over their individual situation. There's a lot an individual doesn't control - I get that. But you can definitely control your own outlook and how you respond to it, and you can "make a statement" of your own self worth by associating with people who won't waste your time, be they employees, partners, friends, you name it. Yes, we have to practical, and there are times when it is more practical to just accept the imperfections of the people we work for and with. But I think what I'm really getting at here is that people need to know what their boundaries are in terms of acceptable and unacceptable treatment, and don't let anyone cross them. Otherwise, that person is always going to be someone else's b*tch in life.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 36,809 times
Thanks everyone for the replies. Employer finally replied with a new time but never offered any apologies or made reference to the missed interview. Definitely makes you think twice about it but I'll give them a chance and then go from there. No point burning bridges, could have had a good reason for missing the call. I spoke with someone working at that company and by all accounts they seem like a pretty decent place to work for. Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2014, 01:15 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,657,286 times
Thanks for the update! Hopefully you get the job, the company turns out to be a good employer and this rude twit is just an anomaly. Good luck!

Old 01-18-2014, 02:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,617,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Any number of things could happen to anyone of us. You want a company to give you another chance if you couldn't make it to an interview, right? Why not afford them the same chance?

Please, if you're mother had been a man she would have been your father. Why make excuses for incredibly rude behavior? Unless there was some major emergency like the interviewer was in a car accident or in the hospital, even then someone from the company should have notified the OP.

OP, you need to really think is the company I want to work for, if this is how they treat you as a perspective employee. The fact that no one got back to you is a huge red flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Employers get away with whatever people let them get away with. It's not as if I'm suggesting that the OP take the company to court; I'm only suggesting that the OP not put up with this, and look for a company that won't treat them in such a manner. I really feel sorry for anyone who accepts the notion that employers have the upper hand and that they have no control over their individual situation. There's a lot an individual doesn't control - I get that. But you can definitely control your own outlook and how you respond to it, and you can "make a statement" of your own self worth by associating with people who won't waste your time, be they employees, partners, friends, you name it. Yes, we have to practical, and there are times when it is more practical to just accept the imperfections of the people we work for and with. But I think what I'm really getting at here is that people need to know what their boundaries are in terms of acceptable and unacceptable treatment, and don't let anyone cross them. Otherwise, that person is always going to be someone else's b*tch in life.

Exactly, you don't need to be a doormat just because you're looking for a job.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:50 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,470,470 times
You've already sent a follow up email inquiring about the interviewer no-show. I'd say wait a day or 2 and see if you can call the HR rep as another avenue.

I myself had a phone interview over a week ago, and no one has gotten back to me yet about whether if they'd like for me to proceed. I suppose there's always that slim chance that some timing thing meant they couldn't reject me outright, but it's a similar case here... I'm counting it as a lost cause and moving on.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 PM

3,949 posts, read 5,069,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Please, if you're mother had been a man she would have been your father. Why make excuses for incredibly rude behavior? Unless there was some major emergency like the interviewer was in a car accident or in the hospital, even then someone from the company should have notified the OP.

OP, you need to really think is the company I want to work for, if this is how they treat you as a perspective employee. The fact that no one got back to you is a huge red flag.

Exactly, you don't need to be a doormat just because you're looking for a job.
Unfortunately, when someone NEEDS a job, this is what they have to put up with.
It absolutely is unprofessional, but with many industries holding 50+ resumes for a single job, one has to play quite a bit of simon says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search