Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:02 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,422 times

Advertisements

That's silly. Five interviews? Are they pumping you for information (probably been asked)? If they are this bad now and can't make decisions, imagine working for them. I recently had a friend go through the same thing. They used him (imagine that) and then told him they "changed their mind".

Do you know anyone who works there? Maybe they can shed some light on their corporate culture.

I know many here would never dare to question "the master" and believe you should just do anything they ask but I would politely tell them that this is excessive and that if they want to hire you, get back to you when they are ready. Turn the tables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:15 AM

333 posts, read 386,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
That's silly. Five interviews? Are they pumping you for information (probably been asked)? If they are this bad now and can't make decisions, imagine working for them. I recently had a friend go through the same thing. They used him (imagine that) and then told him they "changed their mind".

Do you know anyone who works there? Maybe they can shed some light on their corporate culture.

I know many here would never dare to question "the master" and believe you should just do anything they ask but I would politely tell them that this is excessive and that if they want to hire you, get back to you when they are ready. Turn the tables.
I love the idea of turning the tables, but the unemployment numbers show that employers have an upper hand right now. I've seen people try that, and basically they told them to screw off and find someone who is more obedient. I've seen people get fired for disagreeing with managers ideas. All they had to do was set him up to fail on purpose and create context to get rid of him.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:20 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
None of these responses shouting, "Ridiculous!" sound like they come from anyone in a hiring position.

The multiple-interview process has nothing to do with indecision and everything to do with the fact that it's a "hirer's market." It can cost several thousand dollars in staff time, training and supplies to hire a new employee. I can't afford to to do that every 3 months and stay profitable.

Be glad you aren't interviewing with Dave Ramsey. You'd have twice as many.
Well you would be wrong, I have been on both sides of the desk.

And I am sure others who have done hiring also find it overkill.

It is "RIDICULOUS" to have 5 interviews for a position at this level. We're not talking the CFO of major corporation, this is your average office job.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:21 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KicktheCan View Post
I've done an in-office "mock strategy plan," on which I was presented with a real-life scenario they are facing and had 2 hours to develop a total strategic plan. I've had a panel interview with 6 mid-level managers, a 5-hour series of round-robin interviews with higher-ups (VPs, EVPs), a one-on-one with the highest-level person, phone and e-mail follow-ups/clarifications and now this request for an additional three-hour interview with people I've talked to previously.
After this information I think they are using you for free labor. I would move on.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:34 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
what most people aren't realizing is that a lot of times, you're dealing with a person who already has a job--so that person has to not only take time off, but look and act 110% the part for which they are interviewing. Five is excessive, and yes, ridiculous!

To the OP: if you're ready to walk away from the position at this point, I'd pen a letter to not just the last person with whom you interviewed, but the HR Manager too, as to why you don't want the job. I'd do just what another poster mentioned--turn the tables. Inconsiderate companies like this need feedback or else they just continue the culture.

My husband had to do this recently with a company that interviewed him three times, always during the day, and a two hour drive away. After completely leading him on, they actually rejected him for the position 5 days later via an automated email! WTH!?! Oh, he just looked at me and said, "I never, ever, ever want to work for this company. I have half a mind to tell them just what I think." I told him to go for it, and my conservative, professional husband did! I was impressed! He not only spoke to the hiring manager, he spoke to the department director. He was very professional, but he let them know how disappointed he was in the way they handled his rejection, and his interviews (he had to do a lot of group stuff/testing, etc that took several hours over the three interviews). The thing is, you have to know you're burning a potential bridge. If you know that, and you're good with it, then torch away, I say!

Old 01-16-2014, 10:47 AM

400 posts, read 1,509,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
what most people aren't realizing is that a lot of times, you're dealing with a person who already has a job--so that person has to not only take time off, but look and act 110% the part for which they are interviewing. Five is excessive, and yes, ridiculous!

To the OP: if you're ready to walk away from the position at this point, I'd pen a letter to not just the last person with whom you interviewed, but the HR Manager too, as to why you don't want the job. I'd do just what another poster mentioned--turn the tables. Inconsiderate companies like this need feedback or else they just continue the culture.

My husband had to do this recently with a company that interviewed him three times, always during the day, and a two hour drive away. After completely leading him on, they actually rejected him for the position 5 days later via an automated email! WTH!?! Oh, he just looked at me and said, "I never, ever, ever want to work for this company. I have half a mind to tell them just what I think." I told him to go for it, and my conservative, professional husband did! I was impressed! He not only spoke to the hiring manager, he spoke to the department director. He was very professional, but he let them know how disappointed he was in the way they handled his rejection, and his interviews (he had to do a lot of group stuff/testing, etc that took several hours over the three interviews). The thing is, you have to know you're burning a potential bridge. If you know that, and you're good with it, then torch away, I say!

Don't burn a bridge especially if your not in large town i.e. - NYC, LA, San Fran..... Take it as a lesson learned....

Also your husband should use glassdoor to vent his interview experiences instead....

OP - Youve already given it 4 rounds a 5th and final wont hurt.....

Old 01-16-2014, 11:07 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
People you really need to learn when to walk away from a company when they are jerking you arround. It can be difficult when you really want a job but this should seriously tell you what the company is like, they cannot make decisions, they have no respect nor consideration for others, they absolutely love BS and are incapable of logical analysis nor even common sense. At this point it is unlikely you will get the job as they will continue to suck you into their out of control and dysfunctional hiring process until it all finally colapses under its own weight.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panderson1988 View Post
I love the idea of turning the tables, but the unemployment numbers show that employers have an upper hand right now. I've seen people try that, and basically they told them to screw off and find someone who is more obedient. I've seen people get fired for disagreeing with managers ideas. All they had to do was set him up to fail on purpose and create context to get rid of him.
Just think if more people did turn the tables, I bet you would see a change in this behavior. The reason why employers behave this way is because they can and know they have the upper hand and most will not resist. Even in good economies I have seen this behavior.

The most interviews for a single job that I have had is three. And usually the third was to say hello to the CEO before I started.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:22 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
If a company needs more than 3 interviews to get you through the door. It's usually a sign, I've been on both sides so I know it can be frustrating but on the other side it can be frustrating also.

I've started interviewing candidates for an internal position, because of a company policy we needed approval from 2 other depts in order for our director to sign off. This is obviously setup to scrutinize the process in case there is some abuse. This made it difficult because of scheduling and different depts have different priorities they don't care about your hire they will work with you at their terms. Things can break down that required multiple interviews to get someone through.

So, I can see it from both side but the company should give you a reason why you have to come so often to earn your trust and respect.

Old 01-16-2014, 11:32 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,196,028 times
If I remember reading one of the posts here correctly, this "interviewing process" has been going on since September?

No.

That is not an "interviewing process", that is - as noted by ANOTHER post somewhere in this thread - probably the hiring of someone else, their removal, and a reattempt to hire someone else.

Maybe many someone elses.

If the OP is inclined to interview again it would be useful to find out if someone had been hired for the position since September.

Frankly, any "interviewing process", regardless the NUMBER of interviews, that takes more than a week would be really suspect in my eyes, ESPECIALLY if the interviewing personnel didn't mention there were delays due to inability to meet scheduling.

But not 3+ months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search