Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 12:38 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times

Advertisements

There is no point in ever sending a letter like that in today's world. I'm not sure if there was much of a point in the past, either. It doesn't accomplish anything and will likely be posted on the web to be made fun of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 12:42 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
I agree I shouldn't have made the thread. I just wanted to see if others have written emails like I wanted to before. BTW , another poor reasoning response. The way someone acts on a forum is no indication of how they act in real life. I'm sure if someone came up to you and called you a name or was disrespectful , would you respond like I did or walk away?And no , I dont mean fighting physically , but you would almost certainly respond verbally , correct?

The only ones who are not the same in person as they are online are those with something to hide or habitual liars.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
Quote:
I went on an interview and had two guys interview me. The one guy barely spoke and the other guy made some really rude and unprofessional comments throughout the interview.

Should I even bother writing him an email or is there anything else I can do? They didnt say no to me yet but I still think I should write the email because if this is how he treats interviews , I can only imagine how he treats the employees.
No, don't write an email to the guy. Is there anything else you can do? You could call HR and tell them that you feel the interviewer said things that crossed the line. But if you are to do that make sure you don't call out of anger or mouth off, or act combative. If you can't do that, I would just let it go. Bad interviews happen.

Quote:
He wasn't testing me because it was at the end. I basically asked my last question whether he thought I could be successful there and whether he thought I was a good candidate. I asked for honesty , but theirs a difference between honesty and being unprofessional and disrespectful , without going into what he said. He was just an ass throughout the whole interview and then did that at the end.

While answering that question , he basically said that he liked some things and worried about some others and said I would have an answer by tomorrow , but like I said , I doubt hell even call.

BTW I am not a sensitive person whatsoever and I could honestly care less what he thought about me , I just think he crossed the line.
From what you wrote here, you asked for honesty, and he told you he was not sure you would be able to handle stressful days. Considering the way you are reacting to the comments on here, I would say he may have had his finger on something.

Quote:
he basically tried to trivialize my financial situation and tried to make inferences based off my hardships that he didn't think I could handle tough or stressful days. That was the jist of what he said.

Maybe it wasnt the worst thing someone has said . Not that I don't expect this though . Its usually the ones making alot of money and who have good jobs who feel the need to do act like money is nothing.
How exactly did he do this? What specifically did he say?

Old 01-17-2014, 01:01 PM

62 posts, read 79,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Popping off in this forum whenever you disagree with someone is actually indicative of your personality. It's not necessarily indicative that you're unprofessional, but it does indicate you are combative.

You may think you don't show you have a combative attitude outside of this audience, but I'm suggesting you very well may. As long as you know that and are willing to live with the consequences, well, it's your life to live as you choose.

Rip on me if it makes you feel better, but I didn't come here looking for advice and then start attacking those who provided it. Sometimes good advice doesn't come packaged in the neat way you'd like it to be. My initial comment was serious: your messages here indicate an attitude.
for everyone else who is actually responding to the point of the forum , I appreciate it and I guess I wont write an email.

Again , where am I disagreeing.Am I not allowed to respond when someone makes a comment?..like isn't that the point of a forum?. He made a comment that because I sent an email , I was a bad decision maker. I responded that I never sent the email and so wouldn't that make me a good decision maker. What about that is combative? or argumentative.Like seriously , people need to grow up and stop being so sensitive about everything. I guess here is the bottom line , if you make a comment that isn't nice , you should be able to take a comment that isn't nice and not have to then say o well your being combative. No , its called responding to someone who made a comment , I didn't say I wanted to kill them.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
No, don't write an email to the guy. Is there anything else you can do? You could call HR and tell them that you feel the interviewer said things that crossed the line. But if you are to do that make sure you don't call out of anger or mouth off, or act combative. If you can't do that, I would just let it go. Bad interviews happen.

From what you wrote here, you asked for honesty, and he told you he was not sure you would be able to handle stressful days. Considering the way you are reacting to the comments on here, I would say he may have had his finger on something.

How exactly did he do this? What specifically did he say?

He asked me what my biggest failure was and since I really don't believe in failure if you don't give up , which is something Ive always lived by , I simply didn't want to say that I don't fail as to come off as arrogant or perfect, so I said my biggest failure in my eyes was that i didn't get a job yet being out of college by making connections and doing internships like I should of. So at the end , he basically said to his other guy that o ya hes only been out five months , that's not bad at all , I think your feeling sorry for yourself , but he like made a face to his friend and in a dismissive way. He then said that o ya I had such a tough day yesterday and so he drew the inference that because Ive had a tough time since graduating , I couldn't handle a tough day in the office. But its not like I said I was a loser or my life was over , I just gave an honest answer that I was disappointed in not landing a job yet. It just irritates me that someone making a lot of money would say something like that when hes not in my financial situation .

Now I know a lot of people are going to say that omg that wasn't bad at all , but I guess it was just the way he said it.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:17 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
He asked me what my biggest failure was and since I really don't believe in failure if you don't give up , which is something Ive always lived by , I simply didn't want to say that I don't fail as to come off as arrogant or perfect, so I said my biggest failure in my eyes was that i didn't get a job yet being out of college by making connections and doing internships like I should of. So at the end , he basically said to his other guy that o ya hes only been out five months , that's not bad at all , I think your feeling sorry for yourself , but he like made a face to his friend and in a dismissive way. He then said that o ya I had such a tough day yesterday and so he drew the inference that because Ive had a tough time since graduating , I couldn't handle a tough day in the office. But its not like I said I was a loser or my life was over , I just gave an honest answer that I was disappointed in not landing a job yet. It just irritates me that someone making a lot of money would say something like that when hes not in my financial situation .

Now I know a lot of people are going to say that omg that wasn't bad at all , but I guess it was just the way he said it.

I think you're overreacting.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:41 PM

Figured I would get that , I guess you had to be there.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:58 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
Well 1) You have no way of knowing that he is "making a lot of money. It is totally stretching it to say he was making light of your financial situation (aka not having a job yet)
2) You are making a big deal and getting offended way way to easily.
3) There could be lots of other things you said during the interview that led him to believe that you could not handle a hard day in the office
4) Based on your over-reaction here, I too would wonder how you would handle stressful days in the office, or how you would be able to handle minor conflicts that might come up.
5) I would have probably answered the question the way you did here (I don't really believe in failure) even though its kind of an annoying answer (i.e. not really answering the question) but its an annoying/stupid question too.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:

He asked a stupid canned "interview question" so what does he expect? He's not the "master interviewer of the year" either. He sounds like a smug moron. I agree with all the others who say do NOT send him a nasty email, as it could come back to haunt you and there's the internet to worry about too ... people post stuff like this and mock it. Just go on other interviews and keep trying.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
Well 1) You have no way of knowing that he is "making a lot of money. It is totally stretching it to say he was making light of your financial situation (aka not having a job yet)
2) You are making a big deal and getting offended way way to easily.
3) There could be lots of other things you said during the interview that led him to believe that you could not handle a hard day in the office
4) Based on your over-reaction here, I too would wonder how you would handle stressful days in the office, or how you would be able to handle minor conflicts that might come up.
5) I would have probably answered the question the way you did here (I don't really believe in failure) even though its kind of an annoying answer (i.e. not really answering the question) but its an annoying/stupid question too.
This is the last time I will comment on this thread because its obviously gotten way out of hand. Being out 5 months , I have a car payment and insurance , alot of student loans and various other expenses that I pay by MYSELF. Not to mention my single mother supports me , who is not rich. For him to dismissively say that 5 months is no big deal when he doesn't understand my financial situation to ME is disrespectful. And he wasnt saying it to be positive like hey , dont worry about it , its only 5 months. He was basically saying that your whining when its only been 5 months , which I wasn't whining anyways , but like I said , he doesnt understand my financial situation , so he shouldn't say something like that. He also asked me when my student loans were due , which I didn't think was his business either.

Also I know hes rich because the entry level position I applied for there was 40k plus commission. He was the director of operations of the entire place or the entire region(Its a big cooperate place) , hes not just a recruiter or human resource guy.

Regardless , this is why I didn't want to post what was said , it wasn't about that. The title clearly states for opinions on whether to write an email , not whether what he said was or was not offensive ,so that part is really irrelevant.

Once again ,I appreciate everyone who is answering the actual question being posed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search