Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 04:35 AM

219 posts, read 430,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
Please stop mentioning Military people. Absolutely not. Not a suggestion. Just please don't mention it at all.
Gotta ask. Why is it not an option for you? I ask because when young people I know make statements like this, their reasons are often very telling as to why they can't find a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 06:20 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Go list at every "temp" agency in your city, they have many jobs that are Temp to hire.

Something not mentioned, be ready to PASS a drug screening, they are very common now.

We lose some very good workers because they can't pass a drug screening they KNOW about 45 days beforehand - new employees get a quickie physical and drug screening 45 days into their probation period.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:20 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
Gotta ask. Why is it not an option for you? I ask because when young people I know make statements like this, their reasons are often very telling as to why they can't find a job.
There are many reasons why a person might not be able to join the military. Physical requirements not met, psych eval not passed, etc. In my case my dad put it very frankly. Since the last 3 generations were all in the military and in a war of some kind, our family has done plenty to serve our countries.
So, if I join the military, they will disown me. Of course I had no inclination to join the military anyway.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:40 AM

595 posts, read 2,702,508 times
Joining the military in and of itself is NOT a guarantee of gaining transferable skills and getting you a job in the civilian world.

Just ask the many, many unemployed veterans in this country.

Join the military because you want to serve your country. NOT because you think it will solve all your problems.

(general you, not necessarily referring to the OP)

Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
I would not want to hold a job where part of my duties involved killing people, or directly supporting anybody whose job included killing people.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:03 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
Quote:
I'm really confused about why you think not wanting death to be an occupational hazard is "telling" as to why someone can't find a job.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:32 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhayatox View Post
Please stop mentioning Military people. Absolutely not. Not a suggestion. Just please don't mention it at all.
If military isn't an option, try for the apprenticeship or find a way to fund school. Either way, not having any sort of training is going to greatly increase your chances of landing a dead end job. While I acknowledge it is possible to find a job without some sort of training or college education, the odds are likely going to be against you.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:52 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,746 times
Plus if you were diagnosed with any kind of mental disorder or any kind of disability you are pretty much disqualified from all service. Coming from someone with AS.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:10 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,553 times
By the time I was 20 I had worked in an amusement park, fast food, a flower shop, a veterinary clinic, as an accounts receivible clerk, moved fro CA to HI on my own and worked in sales, the tourist industry, and then landed my dream job. What is holding you back?
You think I had training and experience at 16? What I DID have was drive and work ethic. I was open to try anything and usually worked several jobs at a time.
Something you said sticks out to me. It was the way the way you dismissed people suggesting the Military. You didn't dismiss the idea of joining the military as much as you did the people trying to help you. If you're taking that same dismissives attitude with you to an interview or if it shows on your resume that could be part of your problem.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Mowing lawns, plowing snow, day laborer, military, temping, restaurant kitchen help, car wash towel person, apprentice in a trade (plumber, builder, mason), gas station attendant, stock boy in warehouse, town road crew, marina dock boy, recycle center sorter, copy center clerk/operator, ....

You just need to think outside the box a little bit. Hustle. Sell yourself. Grovel. Do what you have to do. One contact an hour is 20 contacts a day is 600 contacts a month. That ought to put you in touch with someone who knows somebody who will get you started.
Exactly right!

It's interesting how young able-bodied types think they're qualified for only one thing and accept large periods of unemployment, yet people coming here without documents and unable to speak a word of English have a job the moment they arrive.

In the past before unemployment and welfare, Americans did all kinds of work. It was called having a work ethic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search