Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 12:08 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times

Advertisements

I would think most would consider the source.

I am often surprised at how many acquaintances of mine have good respectable jobs despite their numerous drink-chug-a-luga pictures posted on twitter and rants and uses of colorful language on other social media sites. People who are searchable for links to the police log, working for some of the biggest corporations. So much for background checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,024 times
As I stated last time, have your friend use her middle name as her first name. This is the simplest and most effective method that you are going to find.

Google will come up with different results.

In the meantime have a lawyer send a nasty gram to the owner of the site.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:25 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Frankly, I think it depends on the employer. Many would be impressed that she managed to attract that much attention at all.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:33 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianR1984 View Post
I wrote 2 threads on defamation previously because a friend of mines had a blog post written about her which calls her a man hating feminist and a few other names that aren't so pleasant. The only good thing about all of this is that the post was written by a blog known for being controversial and misogynistic. The bad thing is that it shows up on the 1st page when you google her name and since the blog gets a lot of traffic it is hard to push it down. There are also a couple of posts on forums about her which also show up on the first page.

From what I concluded in the past 2 threads, most employers won't look at the validity of the gossip and will simply accept it as fact if it shows up on the first page of google. With that being said, could you say that having a bad reputation on google is the same as having a felony when it comes to getting a job?
What kind of job is she trying to get and with what kind of company?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
As I stated last time, have your friend use her middle name as her first name. This is the simplest and most effective method that you are going to find.

Google will come up with different results.

In the meantime have a lawyer send a nasty gram to the owner of the site.
Agreed. Try to use a middle name, would work great! or a shortened, or lengthened version of the name. i.e. shorter "Christy instead of Christina", or longer "Amanda instead of Mandy".
Then only after being hired do you use the correct name. If the hiring manager is in the same room she works in, then she may be stuck using the nick name or middle name long term or at least for a little while, in which case, use the correct name only on the W4.
If the hiring manager works elsewhere, she's pretty much all set after she gets hired on and completes all her forms.

Another idea, is to create a "linkedin", get a lot of connections so it hopefully gets bumped to the top.

And another idea is to create multiple online profiles with the same name as on the blog. Such as the original "good" linkedin mentioned, and 3-4 other linkedins that are fake like from other parts of the country or world, get connections to be placed higher. Create a few facebook profiles. Easy way to get friends on facebook is companies or people from the same College. (again, this is a "fake", so not the real college they went to).

Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
That is a badge of honor from a misogynistic website. Seems like she is doing something right.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:35 PM

17 posts, read 15,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Frankly, I think it depends on the employer. Many would be impressed that she managed to attract that much attention at all.
I have been thinking that too, if a site has a reputation of posting some of the most offensive material out there has taken the time to call her a man hating feminist and focus that much energy on her, wouldn't that have the opposite effect?

Old 01-29-2014, 12:48 PM

16 posts, read 27,619 times
Just have her delete the thread or lock it and it will drop down with time.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:16 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,419,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macaw1us View Post
Just have her delete the thread or lock it and it will drop down with time.
The person in question didn't write it or post it. Someone else wrote it.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:51 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianR1984 View Post
I have been thinking that too, if a site has a reputation of posting some of the most offensive material out there has taken the time to call her a man hating feminist and focus that much energy on her, wouldn't that have the opposite effect?
Well, I'm not a hiring manager, but I'd probably want to interview her just based on that alone.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:57 PM

17 posts, read 15,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Well, I'm not a hiring manager, but I'd probably want to interview her just based on that alone.
how many hiring managers do you think share that view with you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search