Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 03:19 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times

Advertisements

I'm really not one to complain, but job applications in general are just getting annoying. Tedious questions on unstable web platforms and odd quirks-- it gets to me after a while. I absolutely love the job applications where you just apply with your LinkedIn profile and attach a resume and cover letter.

This one took the cake for worst application, though:

First I used my LinkedIn to apply, but also had to attach a resume/cover letter. So far, so good. Then I had to manually enter each job on the application (no auto-population). I had to answer detailed questions on each job, such as started salary, ending salary, reason for leaving, managers name/number (you're not allowed to ask the company not to contact them), job duties, etc. It was long and tedious to fill it out, but that's just life. At any rate, the recruiter emailed me the next day asking for a phone interview. We decide on Thursday. This morning I wake up to an email from the recruiter that I need to fill out a form before the phone interview tomorrow. This form is the SAME thing I did online, except it asks even more questions! I then have to print it out to sign and then scan/fax it over.

To make matters worse, it's a PDF with horribly cramped spaces to write in. Luckily, I have Acrobat Pro, so I figure I'd just copy and paste from my online application. To my surprise, unlike most other jobs I applied to, you cannot view an application you've submitted!

I'm sitting here fussing around with Acrobat to add text (it's not a form PDF, which is stupid), but it's just taking way too long.

I'm of two minds about the situation-- yes, I'm annoyed that there's a lot of redundancy on the application, but this would be an awesome opportunity to work at a firm that's been making headlines in my field of work. I guess I have to chalk it up and do it, but I just wanted to vent a little

What are some annoying applications you folks have had to fill out?

ETA: I emailed the recruiter to see if the form was a mistake-- she never emailed me back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 03:22 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
You know those from Taleo where you have to select you school from their list?

Well, I encountered one where you had to select the company from their list in order to add it to your experience. And if the company you worked at isn't on their list, you couldn't add your experience there to your application!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

Well, I encountered one where you had to select the company from their list in order to add it to your experience. And if the company you worked at isn't on their list, you couldn't add your experience there to your application!
That's terrible!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:33 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
It has to be some kind of screening system, surely? If you make thro all that nonsense the interview should be a breeze!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
It has to be some kind of screening system, surely? If you make thro all that nonsense the interview should be a breeze!
I sure hope so! The manager I'd be working for viewed my LinkedIn profile yesterday, then I got the email from the recruiter a few hours later inviting me for a phone interview. I know it'll be worth it, I'm just annoyed-- so much going on in and out of work this past week.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:06 PM

11,248 posts, read 11,022,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I sure hope so! The manager I'd be working for viewed my LinkedIn profile yesterday, then I got the email from the recruiter a few hours later inviting me for a phone interview. I know it'll be worth it, I'm just annoyed-- so much going on in and out of work this past week.
You're actually talking to real live human beings and you even have a phone interview lined up. Well, you must be doing something right, 'cause you're already a lot further than many people get.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:42 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

Theater of the absurd, these stupid forms get more retentive on each new release.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
You're actually talking to real live human beings and you even have a phone interview lined up. Well, you must be doing something right, 'cause you're already a lot further than many people get.
You're right-- right at the end of the phone interview, she scheduled me for in-person interviews! The job is about 200 miles away, so I'm going down next week

Old 01-30-2014, 08:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Regardless of how annoying an application process is, you are looking for a job and they have one, so you just have to accept it and play the game their way. Sometimes it can be a test of how the applicant follows directions, making the application process itself a pre-screening test, or they are making it difficult just to limit the numbers to those that really want a job there. Other times it's just a poorly designed system.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Regardless of how annoying an application process is, you are looking for a job and they have one, so you just have to accept it and play the game their way. Sometimes it can be a test of how the applicant follows directions, making the application process itself a pre-screening test, or they are making it difficult just to limit the numbers to those that really want a job there. Other times it's just a poorly designed system.
Exactly. I always intended to apply, and it got me an in person interview, so I'm happy-- at the time I was just irritated with (what felt like) a runaround. Like you said, it's pay to play.

I personally think that, since many of the questions were redundant, it's probably also a screening to see if people are lying (only the really good liars can duplicate the same story again and again without changing details).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search