Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 PM

6,600 posts, read 5,843,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Yeah thats a pretty effed up comment. Im a firm believer in working for the amount of pay received. If theyre gonna pay 9 an hour, do 9 an hour worth of work.
Not me. I try to do my best, whether getting $9 or $50 or working as a volunteer for nothing. You never know when someone you impress, be they a coworker, manager, or customer, may remember you and refer you up to something much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 09:06 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,999,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Not me. I try to do my best, whether getting $9 or $50 or working as a volunteer for nothing. You never know when someone you impress, be they a coworker, manager, or customer, may remember you and refer you up to something much better.
Good luck with that approach.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:15 PM

35,370 posts, read 20,743,230 times
Quote:
I have always had that approach and not all times where perfect but I always managed to leave others in the dust for having a great attitude and good work ethic... Fixing to move this month to reap higher rewards, some in the office not too happy-

Old 02-01-2014, 01:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,005,852 times
I don't think it was a joke (and if it was... a very bad one).

This isn't representative of how employers talk to employees across the board... or was that a bad joke as well, OP?

Old 02-01-2014, 07:29 AM

6,600 posts, read 5,843,394 times
Quote:
The thing is, I have to live with myself every day, look at myself in the mirror every morning. Doing a half-assed job just isn't in my nature.

Not only that, but people can tell when you're only putting out 25%. Isn't it a little embarrassing?

Just my opinion; others can live their lives the way they want. But if Joe Slacker sitting next to me expects me to let him know when my brother is looking for an office manager, he can forget about that. Never in a million years. The guy two desks over who shows up early and leaves late and works hard and cheerfully is the one I'll refer.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:36 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,378,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I actually stewed over the arrogance of what was said for a while before replying back.. But.. End of the day.. Not worth getting too torn up about. put a little faith in karma.
I'm confused with your reply. Are you the OP?

Old 02-01-2014, 08:08 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,445,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
When someone shows you the type of person they are, believe them the first time.

Don't work for a person who is a jerk during the interview, because they will be a jerk of a boss too!
At a seminar, the speaker mentioned a woman had to turn down a high level position because the CEO asked her during a lunch interview "I know I'm not supposed to ask this, but are you married, and how many children do you have?"

Old 02-01-2014, 08:58 AM

35,370 posts, read 20,743,230 times
that's against the law,at lunch? but the answer could have been- if I get the job I will be glad to share more of my personal life, and smile,, get dat money honey!!people are always going to be people.. and just because they are in that level -doesn't always make them good speakers. I'd be terrible at structured interviews,,, too cold and indifferent and I just want to get to know you, see if your personality with background and work ethics make a good fit. yes! tell me about your kids family and life. Won't make a diff to me about hiring you- just like to know you better. but its not allowed, jokes not allowed, political incorrect statements not allowed, - just TEXT the darn interview

Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,806,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Absolutely true. People who don't realize this are either short sighted, have no experience in life, or never had many jobs - paid or not. Or just have "bad attitudes".

Which explains why 4/5 times I order through the drive through window, the order is WRONG.

My best promotion in corporate life came from ONE meeting. A director there pulled me aside, asked me to go work for him and bumped me about 4 salary "grades" and from a first level nobody to a middle manager with TONS of exposure, responsibility and opportunities - including direct reporting to the business unit president for 6 months sitting right in an office next to his. And managing a $5 billion dollar P&L.

I'll never forget it, I made $88,000 that year - 1987. I was thrilled.

ALL thanks to the other idiots at the meeting that made me look even more fabulous LOL.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:31 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,581,441 times
Quote:
Yeah thats a pretty effed up comment. Im a firm believer in working for the amount of pay received. If theyre gonna pay 9 an hour, do 9 an hour worth of work.
I can't think of a better way to ensure that someone will never make more than $9 an hour than to show up every day determined to do no more than $9 an hour's worth of work. When I was a department manager, I almost always knew within a few days which new employees I was going to someday promote into higher positions and which ones would never move past their entry-level positions. The ones who came in with an "I'm not gonna do anything more than I absolutely have to do" attitude were the ones who sat around bitching to each other in the break room about how screwed up the company was when the hard-chargers with years less seniority were promoted over them into supervisory positions. They just never figured it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search