Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 07:28 PM

7 posts, read 10,484 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating in May and I'm ready to start applying for jobs. I'm graduating from a college in the Midwest though and want to relocate. How do I go about this in my cover letter/resume. Will I have to make many trips or can the process be done through skype?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:41 PM

294 posts, read 476,500 times
Depends on the job, but I suspect you'll need to do at least one face-to-face interview at some point. I'm also looking to relocate out-of-state, and one thing HR is concerned about is availability for immediate interviews. This is an issue for anyone, but especially for students I'd think. I'm still trying to figure out how to go about this. Basically, I just stated in my cover letter that I am actively looking to relocate to X area, and will be available for immediate interviews.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
As a new college graduate, you will be eligible for many "new graduate" programs. Most companies expect that new college students will be moving around and relocating. Many will do an initial phone interview. After that, some will do Skype and some will want to meet face to face.

Please tell me you've done a couple of internships and/or have some real world job experience.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:20 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
I just completed my masters degree, and have been applying for jobs out of state. Here's what I did:

1) Next to my address on the cover letter and resume, I put in parentheses "Relocating to X metropolitan area in Month, Year"

2) It's hard to do the whole hiring process remotely-- at some point you'll probably need to go in for a F2F interview (even if it's just so they know you're real). What I did was research flights to find when it was cheapest to fly. From there, I specified in my cover letter that I'll be in town on the following days, and would love to speak in person about the position.

Disclaimer: At least in my field, entry level applicants pay their way for traveling to interviews. Check your University's career fair-- the employer may be there for F2F interviews, too.

Also, make sure they understand that you're serious about moving there. Employers are often leery about job applicants flaking out and not moving. Don't say, "I want to move to LA," say, "I'm relocating to LA this May, and would love to work for your company." If you've been to LA before, bring up non-touristy things about it so they know you're familiar with the city.

The above got me five interviews-- some as far as 800 miles away.

In the next couple of weeks, I'm sure I'll have something.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:06 PM

7 posts, read 10,484 times
Yes I have over four years of real world experience. Thanks everyone for the replies I'll take all the tips into account.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:30 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,442 times
By LA do you mean Louisiana or Los Angeles?

If you mean Los Angeles you may want to brush up on your spanish and change your name to Gonzalez or something mexican sounding.
Also when they ask your race on applications put "Latino". The mexicans have a stranglehold on the jobs in Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search