Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 12:29 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

I agree with the others, their first pick didn't work out so now they are offering the job to you. If you want the job be gracious and accept it. Don't ask a lot of questions and make them rethink their offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 12:39 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
It could also be that it is the first quarter and they were allocated enough $ for an extra position. That happened where I am now.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:43 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
What's that saying ... don't look a gift horse in the mouth?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:47 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Remember, Maverick was #2, Cougar was #1. Cougar crapped out so now Maverick's getting his dream shot. He's going to Top Gun.

Take the damn job and stop overanalyzing.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:51 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,438,880 times
Awesome news! Congrats!

Old 02-05-2014, 12:52 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
It might be exactly what they said, the budget changed and they did whatever they had to in order to bring you aboard. You were so great that they found some money to add you.

Or, the first choice didn't work out, that happens; maybe he got three job offers in one day.
Or he got arrested, or deported, or drunk. Enjoy your job, sounds like a dynamic situation.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:57 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfd123 View Post
Whats up with this? On the first rejection phone call I asked why and they said my skills were great, I was great but they just "found a better fit." The guy went on to rave about my resume and skills and that he told his colleague from another department about me because he was hiring and looking for someone and that he is already expecting a call from me.

1.5 weeks later I get a phone call from the same guy that rejected me and he mumbles something about "having a new budget in their office" and that they can now, in fact hire me and would like to give me the job.

Whats up with this? Has anyone ever been denied a job and then offered it? Why would they do this? It doesn't make sense, on the first phone call it was a "fit" issue and now it's a "budget" issue?
Yes. It happens. Often you are the 2nd pick and something falls through with the 1st pick.

Moral of the story: Even if you are told you didn't get the job, always be gracious and ask the employer to keep you in mind for future openings.

I was 2nd pick and got a job several months after the interview. 1st pick didn't work out. It happens.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
This is why we don't notify the unsuccessful candidates until after the new person actually shows up the first day. Often a great applicant has several offers pending and may back out after a better one comes along. Coming in 2nd when there may be 100 applicants is no disgrace. You ran into some luck, take advantage of it.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Quote:
Whats up with this? On the first rejection phone call I asked why and they said my skills were great, I was great but they just "found a better fit." The guy went on to rave about my resume and skills and that he told his colleague from another department about me because he was hiring and looking for someone and that he is already expecting a call from me.

1.5 weeks later I get a phone call from the same guy that rejected me and he mumbles something about "having a new budget in their office" and that they can now, in fact hire me and would like to give me the job.

Whats up with this? Has anyone ever been denied a job and then offered it? Why would they do this? It doesn't make sense, on the first phone call it was a "fit" issue and now it's a "budget" issue?
I'm still waiting for the negative things they said in the rejection. If you lose the job because they don't like you, they don't spend time passing your resume around and trying to find a slot for you elsewhere in the firm.

It sounds like they would have hired you if they could justify another spot. Now they can. Why not take them at face value? That could well be how it played out. My wife got a career-defining job that way. If she would have been all "You didn't hire me for Job Y, so $@%# you!", she never would have been given Job X, which turned into Job X+, then Job Y, Job Y++, Job Y^2, etc. over the course of only a few years.

Don't look at it as them settling for second-best, look at it as you being so impressive that they had to dig deep and create an extra position specifically for you, just to make sure they didn't lose your talents.

---
In case you ARE the "pinch-hitter", don't spend a minute thinking about that. I once landed a job where, due to the several week gap between interview and offer, as well as cryptic phone calls with non-offers, "just making sure I was still interested", it was pretty clear that I was the 3rd or 4th backup. (I was a local candidate, and they were trying to reel in better-qualified relos. Problem was, the job didn't pay enough to justify relocating.) Ya know what? Who cares? Once the job is yours, none of that matters. I had the job I wanted, and those other guys were completely forgotten.

Last edited by Big G; 02-05-2014 at 01:29 PM..

Old 02-05-2014, 01:34 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Quote:

Had this happen to me. I wasn't the first choice for the Xerox/contract position until the person they picked lied about their education. I received the offer letter and was informed on when I can get started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search