Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2014, 11:16 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,163 times

Advertisements

Anybody else get tons of emails and phone calls from "fake" jobs? I keep getting emails and phone calls from "companies", and once I did some research found them to be pyramid schemes, etc. They send you emails asking for interviews, and then keep badgering you? Lots of them seem to pose as "insurance companies", etc. Based on others comments, some are nothing more than door to door sales with no pay except for commissions.

Is there an easier way to weed these out? I'm tired of having to do Google searches for every email I get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 01:30 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,412 times
These "jobs" are always going to be around. The internet makes it a lot easier to scam people, so you need to be careful about where you're looking.

Number 1 rule: Do NOT trust craigslist!

I use local listings from the paper and indeed. If anyone tells me about a company, I look into them and I also use LinkedIn.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:48 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,051 times
Oh yeah, and you will get a lot of them on craigslist, where the scammers are swarming. They want your marketing information, your phone number so they can telemarket you, and some want to steal your identity. Then too there is the ever-present and endlessly varied fake check scam.

Often there is no job at all, and no matter how carefully you unclick the solicitation boxes they will still call you to sell you courses in whatever, claiming you requested their call.

I've found this on all the job boards, and not just on craigslist, so they are not missing any opportunities anywhere. What puzzles me is why they think someone who is out of work and looking for a job can afford their crap.

After a while on craigslist you learn the signs that a job is not really a job, and can spot the scammers. It just takes time and experience. Another good thing to do is look for the threads on craigslist like " RE: Hiring now all shifts, great opportunity!"
These are posted by those who learned the hard where not to apply or work. When I was looking for jobs I would search on those first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search