Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:39 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,156,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Oh please, give me a break. To "know the real you" so they can turn around and then go after that person for not being a team player later on Goes to show what bs the interview process is nowadays.

What I dislike about interviews is how my actual skills, professionalism, and personable attitude are dismissed in lieu of questions to gauge how social I am. If I wanted to interview for a job to be social, I could be a babysitter instead.
Not to be too picky, but your personable attitude is part of "the real you" and is part of being social, is it not? However, they should spend more time on actual skills, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 05:40 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,748,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
The question that used to trip me up a little is "What was the worst thing about your last job?" There is no way to really answer that well.

It wasn't challenging enough or fast enough. I'm looking to take on more, to do more.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:42 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,793,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Other than the few interviews where we discussed my skills and abilities every single thing...

I hate how they demand salary history so they can lowball you
Yes! I honestly think this question is one hiring managers should be prohibited from asking. That information should be off-limits, right up there with marital status, religion, political persuasion, sexual orientation, etc. I cannot adequately describe how much I RESENT that question. Not only are they trying to lowball or disqualify candidates, but I want to say to them, "My past salaries are NONE of your damn business!"

Quote:
I hate how they smile and tell you they will inform you of their decision next week and you know they are lying snakes because they never do
Yep, this seems to be the norm. Mind you, I was interviewing yesterday, and the interviewing "panel" (I HATE having a PANEL of people interview me!) informed me that the hiring decision will take a while - possibly 1 to 3 months. While I'm not thrilled (or shocked), I appreciated their honesty and courtesy. Pretty rare, these days.

Quote:
I hate the redundant applications, I hate how noone even reads my resume until after the interview begins
Hate applications! And it's sooo frustrating to spend so much time constantly updating a resume and tailoring it to each position (as per the advice of hiring managers), but it become glaringly obvious that they haven't even looked at the thing. Same goes for cover letters, which we always hear are essential. Does ANYONE read those or even care about them?

All your other points are great, but those ones above jumped out at me.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Oh please, give me a break. To "know the real you" so they can turn around and then go after that person for not being a team player later on Goes to show what bs the interview process is nowadays.

What I dislike about interviews is how my actual skills, professionalism, and personable attitude are dismissed in lieu of questions to gauge how social I am. If I wanted to interview for a job to be social, I could be a babysitter instead.

The skills are easy. Most people coming in can do the job. They wouldn't get to in person interview stage if they can't.

How you fit in is what is often important at this stage. If you're not going to fit in and be part of the team, sorry, not a good fit.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Same goes for cover letters, which we always hear are essential. Does ANYONE read those or even care about them?

Yes, absolutely critical for most positions I've hired for.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It wasn't challenging enough or fast enough. I'm looking to take on more, to do more.
That is a very good answer. Follow up question might be: I appreciate that you want to do more. However, why should we hire someone whose last job was not challenging enough? I have already interviewed another person who previously claimed to work in a challenging, fast paced environment.

Or a more specific follow up: That is great to hear! The person that handles ordering and keeping track of office supplies will be out on a maternity leave ten days from now and I will be very busy then and prefer not to do it if possible. Could you learn that and help us with that while she is out during that time?

Then again, there might not be a follow up. You just never know. The interviewer always has the upper hand.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:52 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,003,970 times
Quote:
The skills are easy. Most people coming in can do the job. They wouldn't get to in person interview stage if they can't.

How you fit in is what is often important at this stage. If you're not going to fit in and be part of the team, sorry, not a good fit.
While there is truth to this, they should be more up front about it. Tell it like it is: is it fast-paced? Is there a lot of overtime? Do the employees socialize together after work or not? Just cut do the point - don't ask questions to try to trick the candidate or "find out the real truth."

Ugh... If these HR people were taking orders at a restaurant, the conversation would go something like this:

HR Waiter: "Good evening, sir. Are you ready to order?"

Guest: "Yes."

HR Waiter: "How do you feel about meat?"

Guest: "Huh? It's fine - I like a good steak."

HR Waiter: *scribbles down some notes with a serious expression.* "Interesting... Tell me, does soup bother you?"

Guest: "What? No - soup is fine."

HR Waiter: *taking more notes* "So, do you prefer soup to meat?"

Guest: "Well, no... they are both fine. Can I place my order now?"

HR Waiter: "We're working on that. So, tell me about a time you had to choose between a soup or a good steak?"

Guest: "Wait - the menu said I could order a soup with my steak."

HR Waiter: "Don't worry about that - your next interview will be with the Director of Steak Management. I'm more interested in your choices of soup currently."

Guest: "This is absurd! I'll take my business elsewhere!"

HR Waiter: *as the Guest leaves* "Thank you very much for your time! We're very impressed with your qualifications. We'll get back to you in 2 weeks to see if we can take your order!"

Summary: Just get to the point, be honest, and stop trying to trick the candidates.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Great point!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
While there is truth to this, they should be more up front about it. Tell it like it is: is it fast-paced? Is there a lot of overtime? Do the employees socialize together after work or not? Just cut do the point - don't ask questions to try to trick the candidate or "find out the real truth."

But you are trying to find the real truth and people fib all the time trying to get a job. If I say, yes, we're very tight knit and we socialize after work a lot pretty much everyone would say "great, that is the environment I'm looking for". You can't be too direct/obvious. This IS a dance, but when both dancers are on the same page the results can be beautiful... if they're dancing a different beat, tripping occurs and its ugly.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Yes! I honestly think this question is one hiring managers should be prohibited from asking. That information should be off-limits, right up there with marital status, religion, political persuasion, sexual orientation, etc. I cannot adequately describe how much I RESENT that question. Not only are they trying to lowball or disqualify candidates, but I want to say to them, "My past salaries are NONE of your damn business!"

Yep, this seems to be the norm. Mind you, I was interviewing yesterday, and the interviewing "panel" (I HATE having a PANEL of people interview me!) informed me that the hiring decision will take a while - possibly 1 to 3 months. While I'm not thrilled (or shocked), I appreciated their honesty and courtesy. Pretty rare, these days.

Hate applications! And it's sooo frustrating to spend so much time constantly updating a resume and tailoring it to each position (as per the advice of hiring managers), but it become glaringly obvious that they haven't even looked at the thing. Same goes for cover letters, which we always hear are essential. Does ANYONE read those or even care about them?

All your other points are great, but those ones above jumped out at me.
They cannot ask you about your political orientation, religion or sexual orientation at all or at any time. They will not likely know your race upon receiving the resume (before they call you for interview).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search