Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2014, 07:24 AM

13 posts, read 96,234 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've received word from a reliable source that I should be receiving an invite to meet HR face-to-face to present a job offer soon... I've also been advised of what they're likely to offer me, what I should negotiate for, and that HR itself (without hiring manager) has the ability to negotiate with me during this time.

This is great news!!! However, I'm extremely new to negotiating. In fact, although I've been in the work force for about four years now over two jobs, I've never really negotiated -- just stated what I was expecting and was given it (or more).

That being said, I'm completely open to any tips or insight on how I can negotiate the best deal while still coming off grateful and respectful.

I anticipate being given a decent initial offer (~$70K). I would still take the position at this rate, but would really like to see 75... I plan to express this based on my background, market, skillset, job responsibilities, etc.

Additionally, work-life balance is extremely important to me. Is it asking too much to want to negotiate vacation time as well? That is, assuming the initial vacation time is on the lower end... I'd like to see 4 weeks vacation from the start as that's what I had when I left my last job.

However, I'd hate to overstep my bounds and not sound appreciative. That's the trouble I have with negotiation -- I'm afraid of offending others. Most companies I know of have strict vacation accrual policies and would not be flexible, so is it even worth asking?

Thanks again in advance!

Last edited by dorfhuntard; 02-21-2014 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search