Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 02:39 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
Ok, then it wasn't you who called me an incompetent blah blah blah in my board. God, that's annoying. Whoever it is, if you want to call me an idiot, say so in public. Stop leaving rep comments. It's annoying.
Anybody who gives you a rep comment for the purpose of lambasting you is an idiot themselves. Rep points are POSITIVE, not negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 02:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,866,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The job hunting support group and our leader had quite an interesting discussion about the whole LinkedIn and picture requirement issue. Here is what we decided:

It is extremely unfair that employers would basically require that people participate in a private business (LinkedIn) to be considered an viable job hunter.

LinkedIn may have some advantages but it requires (if you want to be a viable job searcher in my field) a private citizen to tell the world your entire job history. I don't want everyone to have access to my picture and job history!

While it is easy for the 20-40 year old posters on this board to say that age and appearance discrimination is a fact of life, they are not living it like I am. Yes, it is possible to hide your age somewhat on your resume and hope you will get a fair hearing once they have to talk to you after calling you in for an interview. While they may be shocked when they find out you are old once they meet you in the lobby, maybe you can get them to forget your age if you come across well in your interview. With the picture on LinkedIn thing they can eliminate anyone they don't like their look, age, appearance, or color and these folks will never get a chance to impress.

What a sad state of affairs!
You can change your settings so that only your 1st and 2nd degree contacts can see certain to any details about you. As others have suggested, get an updated head shot and get minor photoshop work done to make you look acceptable.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:50 PM

90 posts, read 123,256 times
Old people are just about disposable in today's economy.

It's a complete disgrace and makes me ashamed of our society.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:58 AM

26,144 posts, read 19,699,288 times
Lightbulb *

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl
Any recruiter who says you must have a linked-in page is simply trying to mine you for other leads to benefit themselves.
Or they are trying to find out if the person values important things like privacy! (If they did,they would not have a linkedin account)

Perhaps thats one way to determine the type of person they are..

Old 02-27-2014, 05:30 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,096,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
in my industry (high tech), companies and people very much use linkedin. Recruiters and HR people who are trying to hire people use this site a lot to reach out to potential candidates.

I get literally at least 3 or 4 people a week reaching out to me in this manner.
Yes i get tons of calls and email too 5 or 6 a day... So many that my answering message instructs recruiters NOT to leave a message.

But here is my point. You don't NEED a linked in presence if you have a resume posted on a popular job board or two. If you want to search for jobs or have them search for you DICE is the right place, Linked-in is not.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:45 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,785,164 times
If you type LinkedIn Consultant in Google all kinds of people are there to help you look good on that site and help you with your picture, etc.

What a strange world we live in!

Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,168,663 times
Being retired you have all the time in the world to get in shape and put effort into eating better. Treat it like a job.

Then you won't be down on your appearance.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,577,929 times
Putting a photo of yourself up like that is an invitation to more discrimination!

I have a resume, and their job is to employ qualified people for the JOB, and not for fashion runways!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:46 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,971,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respondent View Post
Old people are just about disposable in today's economy.

It's a complete disgrace and makes me ashamed of our society.
The only old people who are disposable are those who are crabby, whiny, and refuse to stay in good shape and act young and vibrant. There is no reason to have an old spirit. Or even an old body.

And I reject the notion that you should be entitled to respect simply because you are older. Being old is not a value, it just means you have spent time on the planet. Respect comes from who you are, how you act, and what you do.

Being old and being wise are NOT the same thing. There are many older people who are wise, there are also many older people who are as dumb as sticks. Same as young people really. The respect goes to those who earn it, not those who beg for it, and certainly not to those who demand it simply because they've "been around".

Old 02-27-2014, 09:21 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,066,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The only old people who are disposable are those who are crabby, whiny, and refuse to stay in good shape and act young and vibrant. There is no reason to have an old spirit. Or even an old body.

And I reject the notion that you should be entitled to respect simply because you are older. Being old is not a value, it just means you have spent time on the planet. Respect comes from who you are, how you act, and what you do.

Being old and being wise are NOT the same thing. There are many older people who are wise, there are also many older people who are as dumb as sticks. Same as young people really. The respect goes to those who earn it, not those who beg for it, and certainly not to those who demand it simply because they've "been around".
I think what the poster you quoted meant was that if you are older, you are disposable in a society where "youth, vibrancy, good looks" is King. Which is pretty much what we, as a society, are. I kind of doubt that all older people who go in for interviews are "crabby, whiny, refuse to stay in good shape and act young and vibrant". The interesting part about that, is those who "stay in good shape and act young and vibrant" are laughed at behind their backs (by the 20-somethings) for being OLD and trying to "stay in good shape and act young and vibrant"- staying in shape is one thing- acting young and vibrant when you are not in your 20s, well...it looks like what it is: desperation to fit in, to be "one of the guys/gals". Worse to me than those who "beg for respect" (?)

Respect these days seems to go more to people who are able to claw their way to the top, regardless of the (sometimes older) bodies that they have to climb over in order to get there (example: that little worm who "created" Facebook-with the "bodies" being the Winklevoss twins, who he out-and-out stole the idea from--or how about Bill Gates, and the whole "windows" business? Apple, anyone??). Respect should go to those who have experience and a good (work) track record, who are...well, respectable. And you know what? People canNOT buy character. You either have it, or you don't. And flame me all you want, it seems to be missing from a lot of people in society these days.

I don't know how old or young you are, and I don't really care. But your whole attitude toward the issue is somewhat disrespectful and thoughtless, seriously. Not all older people go in to interviews in a smarmy housedress with frizzy gray hair, squinting eyes, and house slippers. Not all of them demand respect simply because they are older, and like it or not, there are MANY younger generation people who don't have clue one about actual "respect", why one would give it or not give it to another. The situation is this: our economy is basically in the crapper, and older workers need to work just like the younger ones do- the state of the economy dictates it. And older people applying for jobs are discriminated against for one reason, and one reason only: they are older, and not the young 20-something type that most people equate with "go-getters", etc., who have a tendency a lot of times to leave a company in the lurch the minute something better comes along. Why? No loyalty....no true respect. More money. It's all about "Me", thinking.

Your remarks just really irritated me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search