Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 05:40 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,551 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for jobs. I see so many ads that won't list the salary. I don't bother to reply. Do you reply/apply to job applications that don't list salary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 06:02 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
The only such ads that would be worth applying to are ones directly on a company's website where one could logically figure out what the likely salary would be. The typical badly worded headhunter or recruitment company ad that lacks such info is probably either a scam or just an attempt to grossly underpay desperate workers.

If you're desperate, apply, but don't expect much. It's sad seeing the going rate for jobs these days... nothing like seeing companies pay the same pay today for an experienced engineer in a temp position that I was paid 14 years ago as a junior engineer for a permanent position - and that's not factoring inflation. Nope... same numbers, nevermind 14 years of inflation, the added experience requirements, the fact it's a temp job... and I wonder why the economy is stalling and people can't afford anything anymore... it's a mystery.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:26 PM

238 posts, read 315,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
I've been looking for jobs. I see so many ads that won't list the salary. I don't bother to reply. Do you reply/apply to job applications that don't list salary?
I have actually taken a chance and done this recently. I know not to apply to most jobs that list a salary that is barely above minimum wage, or the vague "DOE" status. But, to give you a personal example, I applied for two jobs in the education sector. One listed the salary, while, not spectacular, was a livable wage, while the second did not list a salary.When I received a call from the recruiter of the second employer, I found out that this job was paying 5K more annually! I go into my second interview tomorrow and hope to get the job.

Don't completely rule out employers who don't list salary; you might be overlooking a potential gold mine.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post
I have actually taken a chance and done this recently. I know not to apply to most jobs that list a salary that is barely above minimum wage, or the vague "DOE" status. But, to give you a personal example, I applied for two jobs in the education sector. One listed the salary, while, not spectacular, was a livable wage, while the second did not list a salary.When I received a call from the recruiter of the second employer, I found out that this job was paying 5K more annually! I go into my second interview tomorrow and hope to get the job.

Don't completely rule out employers who don't list salary; you might be overlooking a potential gold mine.
I second taking a chance. I applied for a job in a state that has a COL lower than where I currently live plus no state income taxes so I was expecting a much lower salary. I was surprised when the recruiter mentioned that the position paid a little more than the salary at my last position so when the COL and taxes are taken into consideration, it is almost a 40% pay increase

Old 02-28-2014, 08:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joliefrijole71 View Post

This is true. Also, what do you have to lose? The more interviews you get, the better you will get at them. The worst thing that happens is you turn down their offer and they learn that the best people will not settle for a loball offer.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:28 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 672,930 times
Of course I apply to these. It's somewhat annoying as a job seeker that salary isn't listed. However, if I didn't apply to ads like this, I would be eliminating at least 99% of full-time openings in my field. Unless it is freelance or posted by a third party recruiter, ads for positions I'm looking for don't list the salary. I try to estimate it the best I can using websites before applying. This may vary by the type of work and your own personal experiences.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:31 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,551 times
It just annoys me to no end. Why not list the salary? There's a lot of unemployed people. Someone is going to take the salary.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:13 PM

28 posts, read 67,241 times
I agree, I almost never see jobs listed with salaries unless it is through a government agency, or it is some type of entry level low paying job for social services. Otherwise, most don't post for social services.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:43 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
I have been working in my field for 18 years (therapy/physical rehab) and I have never once applied to a job that listed salary in the ad. It's always negotiated at interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search