Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:57 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,065 times

Advertisements

I tried to do a search on this, but didn't find anything initially on this subject.

I'm going to be applying for a job in Chicago suburbs from here in Las Vegas. I know how hard it is to find a job IN STATE let a lone out of state.

I have great resources to make a great resume and cover letter, but how do I make them trust me even though I might not be in person? I know a friend believes phone interviews happen all the time. I have never had an phone interview. Any one else have experience on phone interviews and how frequent that happens?

Any advice for me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2007, 04:30 PM

630 posts, read 2,226,583 times
deegers - Do you know anyone in the Chicago area that you can put on your resume as a reference. I lived in CA and applied for a job in MA, I had co-worker that asked a friend of hers in MA if I could put him on my resume, which he agreed to after seeing my resume and talking with me. Anyways, I had two phone interviews and received a job offer, after negotiations I recently moved to MA. I also had phone interviews with other companies in MA and in CA. So yes I would say phone interviews are common. If you get the phone interview and/or in person interview, they are going to ask you why you want to move to Chicago. So have a solid answer in place, especially if you have no family or ties to the area.

Best of Luck to you !!

Old 12-03-2007, 04:34 PM

oh, there's ties there since I was born and raised in the area. So, no worries there. I want to move back home.

Glad to hear more about phone interviews. I am not familiar with that as much. I have several I can put as references so that's just fine. Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't have remembered the references part.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:18 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,092 times
phone interviews seem to be the norm these days (the first step in the interview process) so that they can weed alot of people out (save time from bringing people in to the office who arent really the best fit).

Old 12-04-2007, 09:14 AM

it makes sense to me, but I haven't seen it in my own interviewing career thus far. Hopefully you are right.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM

deegers - I also want to state it will depend on what kind of work you do, if they have a lot of individuals that live in the area with the same qualifications and expertise, why should the pay for someone to relocate. Is your field specialized and do you have special qualifications??

Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 PM
tcb

198 posts, read 680,021 times
I have done a ton of phone interviews. That's how I got the job I got now.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicTouch View Post
deegers - I also want to state it will depend on what kind of work you do, if they have a lot of individuals that live in the area with the same qualifications and expertise, why should the pay for someone to relocate. Is your field specialized and do you have special qualifications??
I already don't bank anyone would pay me to relocate. I always thought that' s only heard of for CEOs and the military. I'll be selling everything just get me back to Chicago, though I don't have much to sell. I'm a biologist/administrative position with lots of environmental and consulting background. but, that's not what you are talking about.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:05 PM

deegers - a lot of companies pay for relocations. I was paid to relocate from MA to CA and I'm not an executive or in the Military. I will say that I have an expertise and qualifications for my field of work that are not easily found everywhere. This gives me latitude that a lot of individuals do not have when looking for employment. I'm not in your field but you know if your qualifications, certifications and background are specialized and limited. If this is a fact then you have a leg up, so to speak, against other applicants.

Good Luck to you!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,188 times
I was in the same situation as you. Arizona employers are extremely reluctant to hire out of state ee's. IL has some competition. What saved me was I was able to obtain a physical address in the destination address and stated in my resume - scheduled to move month and year. Sometimes you have to take chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search