Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 07:25 PM

13 posts, read 24,649 times

Advertisements

I've received a great offer for a mid-level professional position at a large regional company (not financial/banking).

I've been given a start date, but the offer is contingent on passing the background check. I'm probably just overthinking things, but do I have any reason to worry?

1) The application asked if I have been convicted if any misdemeanors or felonies. I honestly put no. 3 years ago, I received an alcohol-based driving charge, but it is an ordinance violation (ie, traffic ticket), NOT a criminal conviction. However, I'm sure it'll still show up with DMV records.
2) Debt. Lots of debt. Student loans and credit cards, but a solid credit history. Always on-time payments and no defaults.
3) Due to an oversight in my part, the degree type of my bachelors degree is slightly incorrect on my resume. I have a master of science also listed, which is correct. Basically my bachelors is a Bachelor of General Studies under the college of Arts and Sciences. I listed Bachelor of Arts... Whoops. Big deal?

For my previous position, I had to receive a state-granted license which required a background check to the extreme -- think equivalent of secret or higher clearance type of in-depth investigation. They brought up the debt, but it wasn't an issue. I passed without trouble.

Any thoughts? Am I overthinking this? Should I even be concerned? I just really want this opportunity!

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Given what you have said, I don't see any issue. You only have one minor flag (your misrepresentation of your degree)... that is too small to have an impact unless you have multiple other minor flags as well.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I doubt there will be a problem. You might not get a job driving a school bus, but for this job I don't see why they would balk at what they find.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:45 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,638 times
I don't see any issues.

You have a BA. The BA in general studies is still a BA.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM

13 posts, read 24,649 times
Thank you all, your insight will help me tone the anxiety down a bit!

Mrskay -- that's where my confusion was initially. The diploma literally says Bachelor of General Studies, not a Bachelor of Arts in general studies... I discovered this probably a year or so after graduating and it was surprising to me as the degree was under the college of arts and sciences.

Not to go off on a tangent, but it was a last minute switch nearing graduation to ensure I graduated on time -- vs staying another semester to a year to finish my initial degree program. Really did not even look at the actual degree after graduating as I knew I was headed to grad school :/

I hope they don't view the oversight as deceptive...

Old 03-04-2014, 08:27 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
I had to go through a fairly thorough background check last year. It was a sales job that required me to call on financial institutions and to receive financial data. They did not care about my finances, just wanted to make sure that I actually graduated from college, did not have any felonies or DUI's. I even left off a couple of short term jobs that I held and it never came up. But if you really want to make sure, you can find companies online that do employer background checks and invest $40 to do one on yourself to see what pops up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search