Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:15 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,797,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I do not think so. The OP is lucky that he got a job. There are a lot of people out here that have been unemployed for over 9 months. What should those folks do?

I think it is despicable that people on this thread seem to be more concerned about the OP's retirement fund than his well being.
The 6-9 months is rule of thumb. Keep more if you think you'll be unemployed even longer.
But then you should be building a CD ladder.

Despicable?
Taking money out of his 401K unnecessarily costs the OP money. That is why some people are talking about it.

It is apparent from the OP's response poo-poo'ing Jack Bogle, that the OP is knucklehead when it comes to money. Most Americans are. They buy stocks when stocks are high and sell when they are low.
Low financial IQ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 01:17 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,797,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsquallhart View Post
The discussion seems to be more about how you feel your way of life or your advice is superior. That's fine. I did what was right for me at the time in my life. There's not a one size fits all when it comes to retirement.
You cost yourself money. What you did is like setting matches to pile of cash.

The advice is superior.
Ignore it at your peril.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,024,408 times
I don't consider that a low ball offer. I think you took a huge risk quitting without another job lined up. You are lucky to get the offer you did. It sounds like you don't have a mortgage, so it shouldn't be too hard to adjust your lifestyle to fit your salary. With no income the past few months, it should have already been adjusted.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:24 PM

51 posts, read 82,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
The unique skill set might allow them to start you at the upper end of their budget range, but not beyond the budget rate.
Yes. And I was offered below it.

Hence low ball. I never wanted to go beyond it.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,024,408 times
I went back to work after staying home with my kids for a few years and moving to a new state. I have a BS a professional registration and 10 Years of experience. I got an entry level position in my field and went squarely back to where I was right out of college.I was paid the same as someone with no registration and no experience. Why? Because about 75 people applied for the same position. They don't have to pay me more so they don't. I took what I could get.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
You cost yourself money. What you did is like setting matches to pile of cash.

The advice is superior.
Ignore it at your peril.
Peace of mind, physical and mental well being. These mean nothing? The bottom line is cash?

If I'm speaking to someone who only values money, or sees it as a #1 priority, then we're speaking different languages. I'm not going to change your mind, and I dont want to. So that's the last I'll speak on it. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:27 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,001,096 times
To me, a lowball offer is not just an offer on the low end of the range.
A lowball offer = unreasonably low.
IMO, this is not a lowball offer ... a low offer, perhaps, but not lowball.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:29 PM

Anyway, I've been focused on responding too a lot of weird nit picky stuff. I think I've said enough on all that. I really appreciate all the responses. I did accept the job offer and I'm going to keep on looking for something that will land me a better offer. As I've said from the beginning, my frustration is more with the fact that I feel . . (i know) I was a below market offer . . . and I know why they did this. It's the principle that makes me feel bad, not static numbers.

Obviously, it was a reality check, and we all need them from time to time.

It would be nice if any future responses are about the job market, getting back into the work force, low offers, etc. My 401k and retirement has almost nothing to do with being low balled on an offer. So , it's not even up for discussion on my end anymore. I did what I had to survive, whether you agree with the way I did it or not.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:34 PM

826 posts, read 1,888,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsquallhart View Post
Quick backstory . . . (quick as possible).

I am a CT Technologist and have been for 10 years. 2 years previous experience in X-Ray so a total of 12 years experience. My last job in CT I was paid 35 dollars an hour. The last job I had was in a higher tier field of imaging, and it paid 43 dollars.

All of this said . . . I left my job of 5 years because of terrible working conditions. I had a manager who was the most vicious I've had in my career. Psychologically I could not handle working for her anymore. It was quite honestly ruining my life. We had 4 people leave in one year under this manager (in a very small department), and she is currently in 3 lawsuits with 3 former employees, two of which were brought against her and one which she brought against a former employee to try to get his unemployment benefits taken away. I'm only stating these facts so you know that it was NOT a normal or healthy working environment.

So I made the decision to leave. No job. No backup plan. I just had to go. I cashed out half of my retirement, and I already had 20,000 in the bank anyway. My friend agreed to let me stay with him for a while, and I started actively looking for work about 4 months ago.

In those 4 months I've had 5 interviews and no job offers. I think I have applied for about 75 jobs overall I would say. THere's not a lot of work in my field at the moment.

I was finally offered a position with a hospital, but their initial offer was 32 dollars an hour. This is 3 dollars less than I was making 7 years ago. Not only that . . . it's WITHOUT benefits. So that makes it WAYYYY less than I was making 7 years ago. I wrote a very nice letter responding with a counter offer, and I asked for more money because of my experience level, my previous payment history, and because it was an unbenefitted position that I would hope to see that in my salary.

Their response?

"We have to take our other employees into consideration, and you are being paid in line with them. We cannot offer you anymore than 32 an hour. We do not pay premiums for non benefit employees. We need to know by tomorrow."

So why am I writing this little mini blog here?

Well. I'm unemployed. I HAVE to take this job. And to be honest . . . it's not the MONEY that's bothering me. It's my ego. 110% my own inflated ego. I feel like such an idiot that I wrote a letter for a counter offer. They must think I am stupid for even THINKING I could ask for more when I haven't been working for over 6 months in this job market.

The other issue for me is . . . I kind of resent them. I feel like they are low balling me just because they can, and I dont think they're investing in a good employee. I feel like I'm starting out on the wrong foot with a chip on my shoulder.

So what's going to happen is I'm going to take this job . . . keep applying . . . and then I'll find another job with better pay. And that's that. Is this the new job market? Do employers understand that this doesn't work? The fact that I'm getting paid 11 dollars less than I was 6 months ago . . . and 3 dollars less than I did 7 years ago in the same exact field with no benefits is just . . . coming as a complete shock.

So now . . . I have to write my acceptance . . .and I dont even know how to say it. I just feel like such a worthless addition to the work force. Like my existence means nothing and I am just a number to put in a box.

I'm sure there's a lot of people here who cannot find work. I should be jumping for joy that I found a job . . . but its very bittersweet.

Any responses you have . . any personal stories . . . and any idea for how to swallow my pride and tell them I accept this offer . . . without looking like a complete fool for trying to get what I thought was a "fair" wage are appreciated. Heck, go ahead and lambaste me for being unappreciative that I've been offered a job and I'm crying like a baby. Just feel like I need to talk to someone about it, and this is the only place I can think of.

I understand what you are going through. I really do.
If the economy was better, I'd say, Don't accept this job. Because it doesn't look good to negotiate/counter offer and get nothing in return. Even if they give you the job, at the back of their mind, they may be thinking you won't stay long. Then too, you will start off a new job with resentment in your heart that you are not earning what you deserve.
I've had that experience before. It did not work out.

But in this economy, I'd say, Take it and see what happens.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:56 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,444,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
The 6-9 months is rule of thumb. Keep more if you think you'll be unemployed even longer.
But then you should be building a CD ladder.

Despicable?
Taking money out of his 401K unnecessarily costs the OP money. That is why some people are talking about it.

It is apparent from the OP's response poo-poo'ing Jack Bogle, that the OP is knucklehead when it comes to money. Most Americans are. They buy stocks when stocks are high and sell when they are low.
Low financial IQ.
You do not get it. Hopefully you will live long enough to spend your millions. Stress kills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search