Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 03:44 PM

951 posts, read 1,139,924 times

Advertisements

When it comes to asking your references for their approval to use them as your reference, how often do you do it? Just once and that's good enough or every time you are required to provide it to the prospective new employer? I'm embarrassed that I have to ask my references so many times now but unfortunate circumstances have led me to look for another job.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 PM

269 posts, read 370,921 times
I ask them every time I am job searching so they have warning that they may get a call. I was in the same boat - I have now had two short term jobs and so had to get my references ready again after a short time. There was only one reference that i felt embarrassed to ask again, I didn't want to bother him again so soon and so I didn't use him, I just contacted some other people, plus my other references that I did use before but I knew wouldn't mind.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:01 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,339 times
Better you be embarrased then the potential employer be "surprised" by something the reference said.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
one of my references actually bailed on me when she found out I needed her mailing address so that HR could mail her the reference form

I thought it was a bit much too because I thought that companies only called or emailed for a reference not send something in the mail to be completed and mailed back. I felt that was a bit much

Old 03-06-2014, 11:10 AM

51 posts, read 83,238 times
Whenever I am actively looking for a job, the first thing I do is call or email all of my references and touch base with them to let them know. Right now I've told them "I'm looking all the time" so they know they'll prob be called fairly often for a long time coming.

I'm lucky I got some good ones who have stood by me for many years. Keep in touch with you references often, even if its just a quick email to say hi . . . something on Facebook . . . quick phone call. It can be hard to get new ones and good ones. Good luck .

Old 03-06-2014, 02:09 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsquallhart View Post
Whenever I am actively looking for a job, the first thing I do is call or email all of my references and touch base with them to let them know. Right now I've told them "I'm looking all the time" so they know they'll prob be called fairly often for a long time coming.

I'm lucky I got some good ones who have stood by me for many years. Keep in touch with you references often, even if its just a quick email to say hi . . . something on Facebook . . . quick phone call. It can be hard to get new ones and good ones. Good luck .

I will make sure I do that

Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM

821 posts, read 1,099,891 times
I ask whenever I need to look. I've been chummy to several fellow employees and bosses who go along with my embellishments or who go along with my length of stay I make up in order to not include some jobs on my resume and fill in gaps.

As I always say: modern job scene is warfare and all is fair in love and war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search