Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 10:05 AM

10 posts, read 15,107 times

Advertisements

Does anyone work for the NJ Governor's office and have an insight into this process?

If not, in your experience, how long does the Governor's Office take in approving a state job offer? I accepted a verbal offer (with a salary) from a State Agency about 4 weeks ago. Just trying to figure a timeline for myself. I have said nothing to my current employer and will not say anything until I have a written offer signed.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 10:58 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,703,214 times
I don't work for NJ, but have for other agencies, and it can take up to a couple of months. They're often batched.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:20 PM

Yeah, that's what I hear. I applied to a position there two years ago and got a rejection letter close to 5 months later, after the vacancy announcement closed, saying they filled the position. I was using that as kind of a timeline.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 PM

1,566 posts, read 3,266,761 times
I went to work for a very different, much smaller state. It took one day shy of four weeks to get the written offer after I'd accepted the verbal "if we, would you" offer.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I went to work for a very different, much smaller state. It took one day shy of four weeks to get the written offer after I'd accepted the verbal "if we, would you" offer.
If you don't mind, what state would that be? My verbal offer was simply "We would like to offer the position of .... and starting salary will be ..."

Old 03-11-2014, 06:21 PM

1,566 posts, read 3,266,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman789 View Post
If you don't mind, what state would that be? My verbal offer was simply "We would like to offer the position of .... and starting salary will be ..."
New Mexico.

It was couched in the "if we, would you" terms because without the paperwork pushed through, it wasn't an official offer. They wanted to make sure I was OK with the salary and that nothing had changed, then they would put the paperwork through to get the actual offer letter. They wanted to make sure they had a done deal. I guess they've lost time in the past with waiting to offer with the official letter, only to learn the applicant had taken another job or was no longer interested for whatever reason.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
New Mexico.

It was couched in the "if we, would you" terms because without the paperwork pushed through, it wasn't an official offer. They wanted to make sure I was OK with the salary and that nothing had changed, then they would put the paperwork through to get the actual offer letter. They wanted to make sure they had a done deal. I guess they've lost time in the past with waiting to offer with the official letter, only to learn the applicant had taken another job or was no longer interested for whatever reason.
Yeah, I guess that was kind of how it went too. They wanted to make sure that I was accepting the offer before submitting the paperwork.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:34 PM

Just an update. I am still waiting for the offer to be approved since January. I had figured maybe they were waiting for the state budget to be approved?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,780 times
I'm curious, are you still waiting to hear back? I am going through a similar situation and I can't seem to get any clear answers as to why this process is taking so long.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:50 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,732,019 times
um...verbal offer? I'd get the contact information for that because there's no such thing as a verbal contract.

Usually the end of the financial year is when books are closed and new ones open. July 1st is often a hiring spree. Having said that though if there are retirements there can be backlogs.

If it is local government check the budget, check minutes of meetings etc. If it is state you might want to check with the department to see what specifically is budgeted. Sometimes what is anticipated does not always pan out but this goes with other things as well. I live in a town where we went with congress numbers instead of governors. We should have waited and we had to raise taxes and cut spending a tad. There are openings now but largely with retirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search