Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 03:50 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times

Advertisements

Without knowing the industry you're in or the sort of position you're applying for... no, don't bring your annual review/evaluation.

It's possible the eval might be considered company confidential - there well could be references in there that shouldn't be disclosed externally (i.e., project code names, details that would provide internal information to external folks).

I know I'd view it as a red flag if I was interviewing someone and they handed me their annual review. I'd wonder if they would be able to respect confidentiality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 05:13 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Without knowing the industry you're in or the sort of position you're applying for... no, don't bring your annual review/evaluation.

It's possible the eval might be considered company confidential - there well could be references in there that shouldn't be disclosed externally (i.e., project code names, details that would provide internal information to external folks).

I know I'd view it as a red flag if I was interviewing someone and they handed me their annual review. I'd wonder if they would be able to respect confidentiality.
This is a good point I would not have thought of. Confidentiality from previous companies. It is best to keep those for your own record, of course. I would never think of bringing evaluations to an interview, that is what your references are for.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:27 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post

It won't let me rep you again, but I never thought of this either, and it is a solid/good point.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:45 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I think water is ok. I usually have some, but I'm also usually offered.

If it is a first interview, they'll likely do the same group with every candidate, don't look into it more than that.

I wouldn't show my performance evals, most people get great ones. If they ask, sure, but to offer them? I don't know, doesn't make sense to me.

If it is an 24/7 position with on call requirements, that should be in the job description, I would think, but maybe not... Not sure what to say there. I ask about hours/work day, but often not first interview myself. If you don't want the job if it has an on call requirement, then maybe you should get that out of the way.
I agree with everything Timberline said, listen to,that advice. And you don't have to, nor should you, mention why you brought water (I think someone else said to tell them why).

Aside for that, if you have evals from a previous job, how could this be your first interview? And, a group interview for a DBA? That's odd...and while talking about odd, a DBA I would think wold have some hefty experience, maybe you do but your questions make it sound as if yo have little experience. But hey, those are all just little curiosities. Listen to Timberline.

Wait, by "group interview"' you probably meant you'll be meeting with a group, rather than a bunch of people interviewing at the same time. Ok, got that one.

Best of luck.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracijo1967 View Post
I am still trying to figure out your rating system, but if I understand correctly, "2" would be average, "3" above, and "4" is stellar. If that is the case, I think you most definitely should bring it to your interview and talk it up. No employer expects someone who is a perfect "4" in all categories; I would be absolutely THRILLED to hire someone who is a "4" in even one category (and to be honest, a "2" in all others would be wonderful as well).
Sometimes an excellent review can work against you. I received a great review once and took it to an interview. The interviewer (who proudly said she was known as "The Terminator") basically accused me of forging the review as she found it too good. I explained that not only did I NOT forge it, I did not want to work for "The Terminator".

They had me come in the back way for the interview. When I asked why, they said they were about to fire someone and didn't want him to know they were interviewing people for his job. I couldn't wait to get out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search