Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 AM

402 posts, read 745,887 times

Advertisements

I don't want to oversimplify it, but you can look at these tests as disqualifiers or you can look at them as differentiators. If you can manage to make even that little shift in your thinking, you'll probably be more successful. Attitude goes a long way wrt personality. If you are happy applying for a job that requires you to go out of your natural personality everyday to wear a smile for customers, why is it a huge stretch to step out of that box and take a test with the same mindset?

Alternatively, you can keep a negative posture and closed mind about it and scream that it's not fair. The choice is yours, and you own the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I really don't see how a personality test could tell you more about someone than simply sitting down and talking to them. Plus a lot of people lie anyway and choose the answers they think make them sound the best. I applied for a job at a chain restaurant once after moving to a new city and got disqualified based on their personality test without even talking to anyone. I worked in a restaurant for 7 years through the end of high school and college, so I was pretty stunned!

Old 03-19-2014, 01:56 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I really don't see how a personality test could tell you more about someone than simply sitting down and talking to them. Plus a lot of people lie anyway and choose the answers they think make them sound the best. I applied for a job at a chain restaurant once after moving to a new city and got disqualified based on their personality test without even talking to anyone. I worked in a restaurant for 7 years through the end of high school and college, so I was pretty stunned!
Good point. I was thinking about this, but didn't write it earlier in my reply. You get an interview and the hiring manager can ask you about half a dozen questions and you get to see the person react or tone if it is by phone. I would think you could get more out of that than some "personality test."

Old 03-19-2014, 02:14 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You know what happens to the tomato with the soft spot? It never gets purchased. You know why? Because shoppers squeeze the tomatoes they buy to make sure they are firm... even though a tomato with a soft spot will make just as good chili. Should buyers be allowed to squeeze tomatoes? It seems to exclude healthy potential ingredients from low-level dishes.

The reality is, it's the employers money. Let them spend it however they want. If they don't want to hire me.... it's their loss.
But, I'm not making chili today. I want my tomatoes sliced or quartered for either a sandwich or ensalada Caprese and don't feel like biting into a mushy tomato.

So, I guess in essence, it could depend on how the employer plans to utilize this prospective employee's talents? Maybe there's multiple vacancy positions?

Still, for me, I've had neither the color or personality (Myers-Briggs?) as a pre-requisite for a job I directly applied. Typing speed/skill test, yes. Mandatory drug testing - yes.

Now in high school I believe the guidance counselors may have used that Myers-Briggs or something similar to help figure out what vocation you were interested/best suited. I'm not at all familiar with the "color personality" test.
I don't know about the rest of the readers on this thread, but I don't always feel the same way week to week. I've taken similar quizzes in books/magazines different times and my answers are not always consistent.
Unless someone takes all results and then averages the replies, how can they know for sure that is the way the person is?

Last edited by cat1116; 03-19-2014 at 02:42 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 03:53 PM

198 posts, read 273,925 times
I took some silly personality test once where you ended up being a blue, green, yellow, or red (I believe). The idea was to make you aware of your own personality and how you could interact with people with a different personality...and supposedly for management to be aware of how best to work with the employees also. The HR person was one of the doctor's wife.

She only wanted to hire people with matching personalities. Apparently that had been going on for about five years, and they had high employee turnover. She almost drove the staff nuts with this color-coded silliness. Finally, a new office was opening down the street, and three of us essential employees got hired to work there. We let all the doctors know that we were leaving because of the one doctor's wife and this color-coded nonsense.

It ended up with the doctor's wife being fired (or...deciding to spend more time at home with the children). LOL! One of the employees stayed, but the other two of us left anyway.

Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
But, I'm not making chili today. I want my tomatoes sliced or quartered for either a sandwich or ensalada Caprese and don't feel like biting into a mushy tomato.

So, I guess in essence, it could depend on how the employer plans to utilize this prospective employee's talents? Maybe there's multiple vacancy positions?

Still, for me, I've had neither the color or personality (Myers-Briggs?) as a pre-requisite for a job I directly applied. Typing speed/skill test, yes. Mandatory drug testing - yes.

Now in high school I believe the guidance counselors may have used that Myers-Briggs or something similar to help figure out what vocation you were interested/best suited. I'm not at all familiar with the "color personality" test.
I don't know about the rest of the readers on this thread, but I don't always feel the same way week to week. I've taken similar quizzes in books/magazines different times and my answers are not always consistent.
Unless someone takes all results and then averages the replies, how can they know for sure that is the way the person is?
True Colors and Myers-Briggs are PERSONALITY tests. They describe work styles and helps team development from communication. I don't mind them and it normally comes up the same for me no matter what I am a leader no matter what personality test I take (though not exactly type A.) These are different than the traditional employer "skills assessments" where it is strongly agree, agree, somewhat agree, indifferent, somewhat disagree, disagree and strongly disagree or yes/no questions.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:35 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Hahahaha, LOL, this whole thread makes it clear to me why it is that so many people on this board have trouble getting the jobs that they think they deserve. Hey whiners, here's a tip from an employer: quit thinking about yourself and think about what it is that the employer - that's the entity the cuts your paycheck - is trying to do. And how you can help them do it.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
And this thread makes it so clear to me why companies are constantly complaining about having trouble finding good help making good hires. They rely on quackery like those idiots a few years back who believed drinking their own urine would slow the aging process. I'm glad I keep my money out of the stock markets rather than investing in organizations run by buffoons.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
yes if most losers have stinky personalities do lousy in school, have criminal records, run up big fat debts, dont pay them, yes the employer should know.
employers discriminate against losers. they want to hire winners to play on their team.
now the big question is--- if you are minority and some minority have bad traits but certainly not all, did the employer discriminate??. did he test for minority or for negative characteristics? which is it?
the government has already forced business to make bad loans, they have already forced business to make bad leases, and bad contracts, now will they force business to make bad hires?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,032,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
And this thread makes it so clear to me why companies are constantly complaining about having trouble finding good help making good hires. They rely on quackery like those idiots a few years back who believed drinking their own urine would slow the aging process. I'm glad I keep my money out of the stock markets rather than investing in organizations run by buffoons.
How'd that work out for you? The last couple years in the market have been pretty good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search