U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 11:04 AM

603 posts, read 786,718 times

Advertisements

I just got a job doing security overnight, but I have knee problems so it's very hard for me to stand for 7 hours. After my first night, I had throbbing pains in both of my knees, and called my supervisor to see if I could be switched to another building where I would be able to sit. The shift if 8 hours but with breaks and a meal period, it goes to just over 7 hours.

I have no problem doing patrol, but we spend most of our time just standing in the lobby literally doing nothing. The company does not allow the guards to sit down or else they will be fired. Is that right?

I was also told by the other guards I was with that the building we were in has the highest turnover rate because the guards don't like not being able to sit, so they always request a transfer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 11:35 AM

31,868 posts, read 73,036,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
I just got a job doing security overnight, but I have knee problems...
How close to the top of the application you signed did the form ask about physical limitations?

Old 03-17-2014, 11:41 AM

When I did orientation, I put down on the form given that I had knee problems. The lady there told me that none of the posts allow you to sit down, even though I found out otherwise from the guards themselves. I figured working for just a couple nights or even one night would be better than not working at all.

The thing is, the place where I was originally going to be sent allows guards to sit. The place where they asked me to go the same day is one of only 4 places where you can't sit.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:53 AM

18,668 posts, read 18,571,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikefirefall View Post
When I did orientation, I put down on the form given that I had knee problems. The lady there told me that none of the posts allow you to sit down, even though I found out otherwise from the guards themselves. I figured working for just a couple nights or even one night would be better than not working at all.

The thing is, the place where I was originally going to be sent allows guards to sit. The place where they asked me to go the same day is one of only 4 places where you can't sit.
Try a new line of work.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Try a new line of work.

I wish I qualified for other types of jobs. Degree in psychology but basically no work experience.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:22 PM

6,032 posts, read 8,444,768 times
Why are you giving up on work? Sales? Anything is better than standing around guarding stuff.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:44 PM

7,478 posts, read 6,457,937 times
Heavens, I had crud like that... Uh, you're not allowed to sit on the job. Okay, does that in any way affect my performance? No... than why have that rule? I mean, I *know* why - it's a mix of control over the worker and probably some BS notion that "sitting workers are less alert" or some drek, which implies that people standing on their feet all day are somehow more alert and better ready to respond to crisis than those who have NOT been already been worn out thanks to prohibitions on sitting. Right...

Other jobs have that idiocy as well. Many places prohibit people from cashiers to pharmacy workers from sitting while on the job even if it has zero impact on their ability to do the job. And, yes, it's bad for your health to be standing all day, especially as you get up there in years. But we need to keep the workers under our control at all times during the day... sales might be affected by 0.000001% if somebody sees a person - gasp! - sitting on the job! Ugh.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,058 posts, read 65,592,187 times
Whether requiring guards to stand is "right" or not, they can certainly require it if they want to. Seems to me that almost all the retail workers I see are standing the whole time. Restaurant workers stand the whole shift, from wait staff to cooks to dishwashers. What did the job requirement say when you applied? Something like "must be physically able to stand for 8 hours a day"? if so, you agreed to it by accepting the job. If not mentioned, you might have a disability claim, but will have to still look for some other kind of work eventually. With your degree in psychology you have a decent general education for many office jobs, but would have to start at the bottom and try to work up to something better. I have the same degree plus graduate work (but no Master) and am a mid-level manager in utilities at a public agency. I started years ago as a relief clerk.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:13 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,402,691 times
The security company should have had you sign a statement that says you are able to perform all of the duties of the job, which includes standing for entire shifts. Even though sites vary, you don't always have control over which site you're going to initially be sent to or moved to later on. They'll put you where they need you.

I wouldn't say sales is better than a job with some job security. People are let go from sales jobs all the time for not meeting quotas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search