Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:40 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Okay, but why would a company tell that to a recruiter?

The company could have meant any number of different things and the recruiter misunderstood/can't read in between the lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 11:50 AM

856 posts, read 1,052,510 times
Exclamation Only Candidate Who....

Quote:
Okay, but why would a company tell that to a recruiter?

Hello, Divina...

1. I had said she is new at her job and you let me know she has a 'senior' title....

What I ought to have said is that to most of us in this business, anyone who has less than three to five years experience is considered 'new' in our business since it takes a few years to truly know how to be effective as a recruiter.

Unfortunately, there are those with plenty of years experience who may not be as professional nor ethical as others in our business.

As you can see from the nature of the comments from most of the others here.

Having said this....

2. First, you don't actually 'know' what the company told her. She may have made this up so as to -as I said yesterday- hold your BF's attention so he does not apply elsewhere and/or register with any other employment agencies.

So, as I said, she may have made this up to 'control' the candidate....a common theme in our business.

3. It may be that the company contact and the recruiter have a chummy relationship and the HR contact at the company said what she did out of a sense of confidentiality-sharing.

What was said was premature, whether it was said by the employer or made up by the recruiter.

It is always best to say something that actually relates to what happened.

In other words, unless you have left something out, the recruiter did not say what the company actually thought of your BF.

No comment was -apparently- said about his suitability, how he was perceived, what the company thought were his strengths or weaknesses as they apply to the job.

There are too many variables here to sweat this until the recruiter says more.

I can go on and on about all the possibilities but as I said to you, you will be doing yourself a favor if you were to just let this process take shape on its own and just wait for what comes next from the recruiter.

I will tell you that no matter what happens -good or bad- you may never get a full and complete picture of what is going on.

So wait this out, see what comes next and don't work so hard at this since frankly, this process is out of your hands.

Even if what she said has merit, anything can happen that can change everything.

All that has to happen is for another candidate be presented by her* or another recruiter and bam! the table suddenly looks different.

Your best tact is to continue, in the meantime, to look for jobs according to your parameters.

That way you are staying busy with positive and effective energy that may result in what you two want.

In other words, always have as many irons in the fire as possible.

* Yes, that's right- it is the recruiter's job to always present a minimum of three candidates for any Job Order, as it is called.

Now, you can see she may be balancing two or more candidates for the same job, telling each whatever comes to mind that will further her interest.

Which is getting someone hired for that job so she gets her fee/commission.

All you can do is have your BF do his best on the interviews, have as perfect a resume as is possible and always continue to be looking for more jobs to apply to.

You can control your half of the board but you can't control the other half so work your side and just wait this out and see where it goes.

All while continuing to search for and apply to more jobs advertised.

Paul...

Old 03-20-2014, 11:59 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
Hello, Divina...

1. I had said she is new at her job and you let me know she has a 'senior' title....

What I ought to have said is that to most of us in this business, anyone who has less than three to five years experience is considered 'new' in our business since it takes a few years to truly know how to be effective as a recruiter.

Unfortunately, there are those with plenty of years experience who may not be as professional nor ethical as others in our business.

As you can see from the nature of the comments from most of the others here.

Having said this....

2. First, you don't actually 'know' what the company told her. She may have made this up so as to -as I said yesterday- hold your BF's attention so he does not apply elsewhere and/or register with any other employment agencies.

So, as I said, she may have made this up to 'control' the candidate....a common theme in our business.

3. It may be that the company contact and the recruiter have a chummy relationship and the HR contact at the company said what she did out of a sense of confidentiality-sharing.

What was said was premature, whether it was said by the employer or made up by the recruiter.

It is always best to say something that actually relates to what happened.

In other words, unless you have left something out, the recruiter did not say what the company actually thought of your BF.

No comment was -apparently- said about his suitability, how he was perceived, what the company thought were his strengths or weaknesses as they apply to the job.

There are too many variables here to sweat this until the recruiter says more.

I can go on and on about all the possibilities but as I said to you, you will be doing yourself a favor if you were to just let this process take shape on its own and just wait for what comes next from the recruiter.

I will tell you that no matter what happens -good or bad- you may never get a full and complete picture of what is going on.

So wait this out, see what comes next and don't work so hard at this since frankly, this process is out of your hands.

Even if what she said has merit, anything can happen that can change everything.

All that has to happen is for another candidate be presented by her* or another recruiter and bam! the table suddenly looks different.

Your best tact is to continue, in the meantime, to look for jobs according to your parameters.

That way you are staying busy with positive and effective energy that may result in what you two want.

In other words, always have as many irons in the fire as possible.

* Yes, that's right- it is the recruiter's job to always present a minimum of three candidates for any Job Order, as it is called.

Now, you can see she may be balancing two or more candidates for the same job, telling each whatever comes to mind that will further her interest.

Which is getting someone hired for that job so she gets her fee/commission.

All you can do is have your BF do his best on the interviews, have as perfect a resume as is possible and always continue to be looking for more jobs to apply to.

You can control your half of the board but you can't control the other half so work your side and just wait this out and see where it goes.

All while continuing to search for and apply to more jobs advertised.

Paul...

Paul has given an excellent response. He "Digs It"

Old 03-20-2014, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 5,792 times
Doesn't sound great. But either way, you'll know soon enough!

Old 03-20-2014, 02:02 PM

Exclamation Recruiters....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Paul has given an excellent response. He "Digs It"

THANKS, BIG D!!

You guys are a tough crowd so thanks, it is appreciated.

Paul..

Old 03-20-2014, 04:47 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,488 times
The thing is, we are moving out of our apartment at the end of March, so I guess it would kind of help to know if this job is going to happen or not.

He is supposed to get reimbursed for the gas mileage and hotel during the trip to the interview, he filled out the expense report and sent it to the staffing company where the recruiter works, but he hasn't been paid yet. He tried to get in touch with the recruiter about that today, but got no answer.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:27 PM

Exclamation Recruiters

Quote:
The thing is, we are moving out of our apartment at the end of March, so I guess it would kind of help to know if this job is going to happen or not.

He is supposed to get reimbursed for the gas mileage and hotel during the trip to the interview, he filled out the expense report and sent it to the staffing company where the recruiter works, but he hasn't been paid yet. He tried to get in touch with the recruiter about that today, but got no answer.

Divina...

They won't process the reimbursement until the job is filled; whether it is by them or otherwise.

You might have your BF ask the recruiter if the company is still seeing candidates.

If he is clever.....when the recruiter says 'yes', then suggest he smoothly then ask 'how many of them are yours' and with a little luck she might spill.

He might also ask how many more 'weeks' the interview process will take and see if that triggers her into saying anything that could be a clue as to how much longer the process is expected to go on.

I understand your angst but it is not to his benefit to act anxiously with her.

Let us know how it goes.....

Paul...........

Old 03-20-2014, 05:29 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It means they're still in consideration but want to meet/interview more people. Simple. It's not a rejection, but they're not 100% sold, or some people in the company aren't.
This, they all do not agree with him as the right fit, but they are keeping him in the running. If they are still interviewing candidates the chances of him being hired are with time. The longer the time goes without him hearing back is probably a good sign. If they contact him right away they probably found someone else.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
The longer the time goes without him hearing back is probably a good sign.
Really, why?

Old 03-20-2014, 07:23 PM

I'll be honest, I don't want to move to Salem, Ohio, which is where the job is located. My BF doesn't want to move there either, but we've run out of money and can't be picky anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search