Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
Look into medical transcription.

This is an area of interest, especially because of the digitization of medical records in light of the push for IT in healthcare.
No, sorry, Paul, this is even WORSE for Americans as a job option and harder to get a job in than medical coding since this job too they will not accept beginners in America but will train in India. It is also much lower paid here than it used to be thanks to offshore outsourcing, even though you need considerable skill and an impressive medical vocabulary to do this job. It was outsourced to India way before medical coding was ... plus, they are hard at work on perfecting already existing voice recognition software (similar to the commercially sold "Dragon") to make this job obsolete and only need "editors" (to be paid much less naturally) to replace transcriptionists anyway until even editors are not needed.

Actually, right now, they are using American editors to clean up the transcription done by Indians because the Indians do the transcription so badly. (This is NOT a job for dummies because you need to know and be able to spell very complex medical terms, words, pharmacy drugs, etc.) However, they are paying them a shadow of what they used to pay Americans to do the transcription itself in the first place. This used to be a very good job and home business for women once upon a time until the multinationals cast their eyes upon it for offshore outsourcing purposes. I have seen the SEC reports for those companies that outsource American medical transcription to India. (Note: ANYONE can look up the details of any public company you want to on the internet; they have to file this online.) The bigwigs at the top are literally making out like bandits with lavish perks, million dollar salaries and multi-million dollar bonuses and stock ownership plans. The people who actually do the work? Literally paid fractions of rupees or pennies by the character they type (or "edit") in India or America. Very sad what it has come to for the people who actually work at this.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 03-22-2014 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 01:09 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
No, sorry, Paul, this is even WORSE for Americans as a job option and harder to get a job in than medical coding since this job too they will not accept beginners in America but will train in India. It is also much lower paid here than it used to be thanks to offshore outsourcing, even though you need considerable skill and an impressive medical vocabulary to do this job. It was outsourced to India way before medical coding was ... plus, they are hard at work on perfecting already existing voice recognition software (similar to the commercially sold "Dragon") to make this job obsolete and only need "editors" (to be paid much less naturally) to replace transcriptionists anyway until even editors are not needed.

Actually, right now, they are using American editors to clean up the transcription done by Indians because the Indians do the transcription so badly. (This is NOT a job for dummies because you need to know and be able to spell very complex medical terms, words, pharmacy drugs, etc.) However, they are paying them a shadow of what they used to pay Americans to do the transcription itself in the first place. This used to be a very good job and home business for women once upon a time until the multinationals cast their eyes upon it for offshore outsourcing purposes. I have seen the SEC reports for those companies that outsource American medical transcription to India. (Note: ANYONE can look up the details of any public company you want to on the internet; they have to file this online.) The bigwigs at the top are literally making out like bandits with lavish perks, million dollar salaries and multi-million dollar bonuses and stock ownership plans. The people who actually do the work? Literally paid fractions of rupees or pennies by the character they type (or "edit") in India or America. Very sad what it has come to for the people who actually work at this.
I had read something similar about Medical Transcription, I was going to ask about that.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:23 PM

By the way, why aren't the jobs in Medical Billing outsourced the way jobs in Medical Coding are?

Old 03-23-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
By the way, why aren't the jobs in Medical Billing outsourced the way jobs in Medical Coding are?
You state that like you know it for a FACT, although it is apparent you have not been doing your homework on these matters as you were (still are?) actually going to pay money you don't have on a medical coding course. Why are you assuming medical billing jobs are not being outsourced offshore? Perhaps they are doing it. Perhaps the pay point in America is low enough and it is something that needs to be done with urgency so most of it is staying here. I myself do not know as I have not researched it.

I don't know anything about the details of medical billing. Like I said, I was helping my friend research jobs and she wasn't interested in that. Medical billing is a low paid in office clerical job in America. Working in a doctor's office in general is bad because they are low paid hourly jobs and part time because, ironically, many doctors are too cheap to pay medical insurance benefits. With medical coding you had more options to work for a hospital (great benefits) and then options (with experience) to work at home and preserve your benefits, so that's why she was interested in that rather than medical billing.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 03-23-2014 at 09:45 AM..

Old 03-23-2014, 09:52 AM

Well I've decided to not go the medical coding route.

But one more question, if it's so heavily outsourced, why do community colleges still teach it?

Old 03-23-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Well I've decided to not go the medical coding route.

But one more question, if it's so heavily outsourced, why do community colleges still teach it?
Because they make money teaching it and they don't have to guarantee anyone a job after they graduate. If they had some responsibility for helping their "A" students get work after graduation, I can bet they'd drop this course from their roster ASAP.

Look at the number of law schools charging people an ABSOLUTE FORTUNE. Many of them are total schlock schools. They don't care that their new grads will be stuck with six figure debt and no job as an attorney at the end.

Remember, colleges are BUSINESSES. Businesses are in business to MAKE MONEY.

When will community colleges stop teaching medical coding? When people stop taking classes in it and they cannot make any money on it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search