Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:29 AM

736 posts, read 1,695,488 times

Advertisements

This is what a recruiter told my boyfriend after he went to interview for a job out of state. He went to the interview last week, the company he interviewed with was doing interviews all last week, and he got in touch with the recruiter on Monday and she told him this on the phone. So apparently this company told the recruiter this information, and she relayed it to my boyfriend. They are still doing interviews this week.

What exactly does this mean? Are they going to hire him or not? What is the point of a company saying something like that to someone after an interview but not hiring him or her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 07:41 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Don't get your hopes up. While it could be a good sign, they might tell this to everyone.

I've heard them all over the years: "We're very impressed with your experience," "You'd be a great fit for the job," "This time, we're going to hire some one for the position, and you'd be a great fit!" and so on. And I didn't get a single one of those jobs. Like it or not, companies lie to applicants all the time and feel that it is acceptable to yank their chains and feed them false hopes.

So, while the statement may be true, it means nothing unless there is a job offer.

Good luck.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:46 AM

Well it was through the recruiter, the company didn't tell him directly.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:18 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,522 times
I had an interview not too long ago where the woman told me before I left, "Well, you'll probably get a call from me this week!"- and her meaning (according to the conversation we had immediately prior to her saying this) was, "The job is yours".

Of course, I never heard from them again- LOL

Old 03-19-2014, 08:23 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
It means they're still in consideration but want to meet/interview more people. Simple. It's not a rejection, but they're not 100% sold, or some people in the company aren't.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Don't get your hopes up. While it could be a good sign, they might tell this to everyone.
Yeah, but "you're the only interview candidate who wasn't rejected" doesn't sound like something they'd tell everyone.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
If they are still interviewing people then there is the possibility that they will interview someone else and not reject them. All it may mean is that he may still be in the running but they job isn't his until they extend an offer

Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
I wasted a month of my time talking to a recruiter in January... Phone interviews and what not with the company owner. He wanted to fly me out for a face to face interview and told me he would make the arrangements and contact me in a couple weeks...

... and I got an email from the recruiter saying he changed his mind and wanted me to pay for it. Apparently the $300 flight was too expensive...

I passed.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:50 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
"You're the only interview candidate who wasn't rejected."

Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement to me. Sort alike "you sucked the least".

Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
So the company didn't actually say anything.....

Quote:
Yeah, but "you're the only interview candidate who wasn't rejected" doesn't sound like something they'd tell everyone.
Please...don't be naïve...recruiters will say anything if it helps them to capture a fee at some point.

Recruiting is sort of like being a car salesman: it is a numbers game. Anything you can say to the buyer which keeps them interested is the name of the game.

How are you going to verify "someone that you don't know says you are the only candidate which they didn't reject"?

You can't. It is a meaningless comment.

"The company has decided to hire you and would like to speak with you Thursday afternoon at 3 p.m. in the office of Mr. Smith at 100 Park Avenue....."

That has some meaning.

Depending on whether it came directly from the recruiter, or the hiring company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search