Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 AM

398 posts, read 746,586 times

Advertisements

What others said-
1. Apply for any jobs possible. Retail, restaurants, etc. Since most don't require much experience.

2. Apply through a temp agency

3. You can fabricate exp on your resume.. just be smart about it lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 11:23 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
There are plenty of jobs that don't require much experience or education but the starting pay isn't high. It's a start though. Starbucks for example pays better than minimum wage and provides health insurance and other benefits but also people can move up into management. They provide tuition assistance if someone wants to move up into higher management.

Or stores -- you can start at the lowest rung and work your way up in many stores.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:51 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
It sounds like you need references. In your resume, always put "references available upon request" at the bottom (unless you have to put them in the job application documents). By stating that references are available upon request, it means that you have references and that they have to contact you to get more information.

Next, you need references. I have taught post-secondary. I have had students that request references. Sometimes, I don't have a clue who the student is, other times I remember them well. I always do the best I can to provide a reference because part of the job of an educator is to assist and prepare someone for the work force. I ask questions in email to find out more about the student, their career goals, what they perceive as their strengths and how they would like me to present those strengths to a potential employer. It is always possible for an instructor to identify strengths such as: polite and prompt, asks many questions to ensure that there is clarity about assigned task, or often assisted other students to solve problems ... there's always something good that can be said, even if GPA is not great. Don't mention your GPA ... just mention that you were in the top 50%-ile, or top 75%-ile (if asked).

Contact every instructor that you had at the community college. Tell them that you are having difficulties securing work and that you would really appreciate a reference. Some will refuse. I had one student that asked former instructors for references. He told me that he was unable to contact any of his other instructors (I suspect that they simply ignored the request). Anyway, I provided a reference and spoke to his potential employer. Six months later, he was sacked and he asked for another reference. I understand that this sort of thing happens, and I again provided a reference. As far as I know, he still has that position. As thanks, one day he left a box of chocolates at the front desk for me ... a kind gesture, and not a common one.

Get the names of three people that either taught you, or who know you (friends, family friends ... anyone that can testify to your good character), and push them to provide a reference. If you're under 25, even a high school teacher can provide a reference. Without references, in some ways, you're hooped.

Next, write a unique cover letter for each job. Research the company before sending the resume. Specify how you see your career goals aligned with their needs. Include a statement about your 3-5 year career goals ... for example ... you are looking for mentorship in leadership, or you're looking to specialize in specific skills (such as mastering a certain software).

Resume ... start with education, then computer skills, and then former jobs ... under each job, list job title, and job tasks. I had one student that was a car detailer before he went back to school. That was on his resume as he applied for an engineering position. I was so impressed with how he described his job tasks. He didn't say that he cleaned up other people's dirty cars, instead he described it as something where he took great pride in the simplest tasks. It revealed a very good character. The words you choose define you, so carefully choose verbs that communicate who you are. After former jobs, then list general skills you have like: work well independently, enjoy teamwork ... almost mimic the skills listed in the job description, but make them your own - to describe who you are. Add volunteer positions, or sports participation (if any) at the end of your resume ... it demonstrates that you have a good work/life balance.

If you get the interview, approach it from a position of strength. I know that's difficult when you're desperate, but you have to get your head into a space where you say ... hey, I'm looking at three different jobs at this time and I'm considering whether the position you have meets my needs. Bargaining from a position of strength will more likely get you the position. For example, I was asked do some contract work one day. I said sure, but I want $70/hour. The work is normally done for $35/hour. They were shocked. I said to take it or leave it. The next day, they took it. I think that part of their thinking was that if I was that cocky, I must be good.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:37 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,940 times
I am so sorry you feel so afraid. The hardest part is making yourself take a job, any job. But once you're in and among other people, you're outside your "self" and have the opportunity to take your mind off things and even laugh a bit.

It sounds like your anxiety is skyrocketing, so doing something mundane (dishwashing at restaurants, stocking shelves in a grocery store, applying at child care centers, sweeping up or shampooing in hair salons, working in the freezer section at grocery stores or all-night pharmacies/stores, etc.) will lessen your stress levels tremendously because you will be earning money AND occupying your mind and body while also talking/being with others.

Most employers understand and have seen people in your position for the last five years or so, and this is nothing to be ashamed about. Just get out and get moving in a direction away from your fear and away from the past, high school, should have, could have, etc. That's over; retrain your focus in a straight-ahead position.

I'm glad you posted here because that alone shows you are proactive; you have a distinct intention on finding a job. You're likely much more confident than you realize! Good luck!

Old 03-22-2014, 05:31 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beggar View Post

I had 3 interviews, but I failed them all.
You don't "fail" an interview (unless you do or say something really outrageous).
Instead, you were just one of the ones who didn't get the job.

Go to your local library and check on job interview books. Contact your local United Way and ask for local employment coaches. The location you are in is large enough there should be many free resources for you.

Take all of your negatives and turn them into positives.
You GOT an AA degree! Most entry level positions won't require your GPA to be stellar.

Don't bring your personal baggage into the interview. You are there for a job. They don't want to hear about personal troubles. Let them know you can DO the JOB. List all the things you CAN do and like to do.

Sit up straight. Be positive and upbeat. Smile. Eye contact. I've interviewed many people before (some for engineering positions) and you'd be surprised at the number of people who show poor body language as soon as they get in the door.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:43 PM

260 posts, read 428,137 times
I can sort of relate to this, but at least I have a car and home to go back to, even if I have to share the car with my sister and I still live with my parents. :/ But with the job hunting thing, it hits home hard. I've been out there looking for pt jobs for the past 5 years and ft jobs for the last year. It was especially frustrating when I applied to Tim Horton's in 2012 and didn't get accepted, but my best friend applied a year later and got the job right away. I don't understand because I thought I did everything right. And I have a bachelor's degree, but still unemployed!

I've pretty much given up by now and am now trying to learn to live off the grid. That may be the only option left for some people, and with all the layoffs and bankruptcies of major companies I don't see how it will get any better unless there's a major miracle involved.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:01 PM

360 posts, read 812,058 times
Some thoughts:

1) Try looking at companies which perform lawn care services, janitorial work,security guard work,etc. All of the types f companies have high turnovers and most spend much of their time looking for new employees.

2) Go back to your college and see if they offer job search services. Most do, and they can open doors for you.

3) Try for you CDL. Truck drivers are high demand across the country and while it's not a glamorous job, it does have advantages over homelessness. You can even keep the CDL if/when you find another job.

4) Go to your local state unemployment office and make an appointment to see a job counselor. These people may have tips on finding a job or they may provide leads to finding jobs which aren't advertised in the newspaper or online.

With an AA, you doing far better than 75% of the people searching for work, regardless of your GPA.

Good Luck.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:08 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,271 times
If you have no criminal record, do no drugs (they will test you) can muster up two references (personal will do) and have some patience, you can work for an agency that serves disabled people. They pay is really low, but it will be enough to live off of if you want hours. All these agencies have super high turnover, burnout and always need people. Even in this economy they do not get enough quality applicants to fulfill their needs. You'll be working with some challenging people with behaviors etc, but, it can be rewarding in many ways.

You can also offer to work late and weekend shifts at a fast food place. They always need people.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
If you have no criminal record, do no drugs (they will test you) can muster up two references (personal will do) and have some patience, you can work for an agency that serves disabled people. They pay is really low, but it will be enough to live off of if you want hours. All these agencies have super high turnover, burnout and always need people. Even in this economy they do not get enough quality applicants to fulfill their needs. You'll be working with some challenging people with behaviors etc, but, it can be rewarding in many ways.

You can also offer to work late and weekend shifts at a fast food place. They always need people.
If they always need people then how come I never hear about it? Although when you said "have some patience", I immediately discounted this so it doesn't make any difference really.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:59 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,955,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytinn View Post
I can sort of relate to this, but at least I have a car and home to go back to, even if I have to share the car with my sister and I still live with my parents. :/ But with the job hunting thing, it hits home hard. I've been out there looking for pt jobs for the past 5 years and ft jobs for the last year. It was especially frustrating when I applied to Tim Horton's in 2012 and didn't get accepted, but my best friend applied a year later and got the job right away. I don't understand because I thought I did everything right. And I have a bachelor's degree, but still unemployed!

I've pretty much given up by now and am now trying to learn to live off the grid. That may be the only option left for some people, and with all the layoffs and bankruptcies of major companies I don't see how it will get any better unless there's a major miracle involved.
I suspect that it can get better and that it is possible to have a job, which means living on the grid, and having a chance to remember the enthusiasm of life.

I understand looking for work for years and not being able to find it. That happened to me when I was about 37 years old. When I was about 42, with a five year old child, I looked really hard for a job that somehow matched two university degrees ... but nothing ... not even the print shop. They said that I was too smart and would get bored easily ... refused to give me a job because I would quit soon and waste their time. When I applied to the appropriate position, I was told that recent graduates were the obvious preference. There is only one option.

Only Option

Go Back To School
  • upgrade skills; five years is too long to be away from anything
  • get a 2014 date on anything from a cont ed course to a workshop; try Excel, AutoCAD/Revit, something useful
  • initiate contact with that instructor, keep in contact with that instructor as he/she is a reference
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search