Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 10:15 PM

12 posts, read 13,505 times

Advertisements

I only have about two more months before I face the streets.

I'm literally worried sick over not finding a job. Like, the stress has literally made me throw up recently and barely get any sleep.

A bit about me

-recently received an AA degree, though with low GPA
-currently on the last of my financial aid money that I have left over
-no experience
-no references

I had 3 interviews, but I failed them all. If I could do it again, I'd get a job in high school and I would never have been a lazy slacker, but I can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 10:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Head to the streets now and start finding a job. Why wait?

Old 03-21-2014, 10:59 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Get a TMobile Prepaid cell phone, $100 is 1000 minutes lasting 1 year - that's what I use. Then live in your car, - I have a minivan to live in. Fake an address on a resume and apply for jobs if you have a laptop and free wifi access somewhere.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:03 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Get a TMobile Prepaid cell phone, $100 is 1000 minutes lasting 1 year - that's what I use. Then live in your car, - I have a minivan to live in. Fake an address on a resume and apply for jobs if you have a laptop and free wifi access somewhere.
This. At this point in your life, things are no longer about being ethical - it's about having enough to eat the next day. Be honest first, but if you see an opening you can slither through, lie, fabricate, and do anything you have to do to get a job. Once you get a job, you can then straighten out and get references and other things needed to move forward in the future.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I kind of need a job for driving lessons...

I got a bike, but that's it.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:59 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Buy a tent and good low temp sleeping bag, and find a place where you can live in that and HIDE. Get a good lock for your bike, too. In the Philippines people take baths with a bucket of water and a tabu [small "pail" with a handle].

But I think this is a troll post...

Old 03-22-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Buy a tent and good low temp sleeping bag, and find a place where you can live in that and HIDE. Get a good lock for your bike, too. In the Philippines people take baths with a bucket of water and a tabu [small "pail" with a handle].

But I think this is a troll post...
This isn't a troll post.

In interviews, I try to differentiate myself by saying that I know business is about money and saying that I will do to the best of my ability my part, to make sure money ends up in the hands of the owner. I recognize that unattended and unsatisfied customers cost the business money.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:42 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
Sometimes we need to go down to go up. Start applying in person at any job you can, line cook at a restaurant, Home Depot, etc. Just because you can't land a job applying online doesn't mean all your hope is lost. In the time of need we must provide even if that means working at Taco Bell.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:52 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
What kind of jobs have you applied for? In your situation it would be a good idea to keep all your options open. If you aren't doing so already I would advise you apply to minimum wage jobs too.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:02 AM
mzd

419 posts, read 887,036 times
OP - Small independently-owned restaurants (not the chains) always need dependable people in the back kitchen. I helped 2 friends open their restaurants in the last 6 months, and they have a very hard time finding dishwashers, cook helpers, etc. So if I were you, I'd go to a restaurant, talk to the owner and see if s/he has a job for you. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search