Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 04:30 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Your lack of a proven work history, and work ethics turned her off. She felt you were hiding something. They want you to prove what you had been doing, to find how trustworthy you are.

A cashier handles money, and the stores insurance company bonds the clerks and would not cover you, as everyone would think you were hiding something. Yes stores have insurance to protect the store in case some employee was robbing them blind. The clerks are covered under bond type insurance, to protect the store.

In other words, you were not bondable and could not be a cashier.

There was no need to ask you other questions, as you flunked the first test by being a long time unemployed and not able to give good answers why your were unemployed that long. In other words, they considered you a risk, and following their bonding policy, you were rejected.

Not So Fast, Old Trader

Your prejudice is showing through.

You have this whole thing dialed in but you have totally ignored the fact there are, unfortunately, HR interviewers and managers who cannot read people and who rely on the printed word to give them direction in their decision making.

It easily sounds to me that if the HR person had not been such a crab apple but a real 'Human Capital' person, she might have been able to calculate that Divina would be a good bet.

Your assessment of this scenario completely excludes Divina in this equation just as the HR person did not even care to chat with Divina to check her out and find out who she is.

In other words, all you did was give us what that HR person gave Divina instead of taking who Divina is into account.

Gaps in a resume for a young person......for a grocery store job....and you find fault with that?

Stay out of HR, Old Trader......you would not be a good fit.

Paul

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 04:31 PM

Exclamation Ignore Old Trader, Divina...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3divina View Post
Well she could have found out more about me by asking more questions.

Ignore Old Trader, Divina.

Can't you see he is just like that HR interviewer?

"Go Around"

Old 03-24-2014, 04:45 PM

Exclamation Ignore Advice to Lie, Divina...

Quote:
How do you invent fake references? If the potential employer calls these made-up references to get verification, they're going to find out it's a lie.

Divina!

First, ignore anyone who tells you to lie on a resume/application.

Do not lie on interviews.

Neither are necessary and can backfire on you.

In this case, you simply went about applying for the job -knowing you had liabilities- in the wrong way.

Remember what someone here said?

'....if they want to hire you, they will..'.

And that is a TRUTH.

If instead of going in cold with a crabby HR interviewer you had done what I would have told you had you asked.......you would have made a friend of the Store Director.

You would have impressed that person with your intellect and enthusiasm.

When you bring up that you are interested in working there, you would say you had gaps due to this and that, explaining lightly why you have gaps.

You are a young person, yes?

Anyone in their youth can have gaps.

Some of the same people posting on this thread have gaps.

And as has been said.....this is 'only' a grocery store position....there is low risk, regardless of what was said here about bonding and cash handling.

Next time, as I said elsewhere here, apply smart by finding out who the decision maker is and approaching that person.

In the meantime, work on your resume so it reads well, regardless of gaps.

(I had offered to look at your BF's resume and you have not taken me up on that; maybe you ought to consider letting me look at your resume, at least so I can point out how to make it read better than it does. Pride goeth before the fall, Divina.)

Then have your background dialed in so you can tell your work history from memory with no hesitation.

Anyway, there is always a way around challenges and speed bumps and telling lies and falsifying your resume is not one of them.

I would question the integrity of anyone who tells someone to lie. Where does it stop? When is it okay to lie and not okay to lie?

Give Me a Break.

The bottom line is- people tell others to lie since they have no other thought on how to resolve a challenge.

When someone tells you to lie, go find someone smarter who can help you think up an honest approach to problem solving.

Paul..

Old 03-24-2014, 05:01 PM

Exclamation Cuidado, Divina!

Quote:
I thought if I played up my ability to speak Spanish, that I'd get a job there,

the lady wasn't interested in my Spanish

I thought having studied abroad and learning another language would at least be as valuable as any experience working at a grocery store, but evidently not.

Then again, I didn't explicity say, "I speak fluent Spanish and I've been in this store before and I see you have a lot of Spanish-speaking customers, I will be good for this job because I can talk to these customers in Spanish" I didn't say that because I didn't think I needed to; at the time I thought the lady interviewing me would be able to make that connection without me pointing it out. Now I wish I had pointed it out.
Divina,

Two things, the easy one, first:

No, speaking Spanish does not equate with experience working in a grocery store.

Two different things. One is about knowing grocery store procedures, the other is about speaking Spanish.

Don't confuse the two.

Next, and this is something you need to keep in mind:

Some Hispanic people will react negatively by your addressing them in Spanish. They will feel/think you are suggesting they don't speak English and will be offended.

Yes, unlike Germans and the French, for example, Hispanics generally like it when we 'try out' our Spanish on them; they feel it is respectful of who they are.

But some are edgy and will react in an unexpected manner by taking offense.

I generally find they are in the minority and that most Hispanics will not only like it when you speak Spanish, they will encourage you.

So, I suggest you try what I had to learn the hard way:

Use only one word or similar as an opening.

They will either not react -not a good sign- which is a clue to speak in English or, they will raise their head up quickly, look you over and smile big time.

At which point you can continue your speaking in Spanish and they will of course ask you about this and you can explain you learned your Spanish in 'la escuela' and they will approve and most of the time, as I said, will encourage your correct use of the language.

Just so you know. Like I said, I had to learn this the hard way. I'm saving you an embarrassing moment.

Or an uncomfortable moment when your white bread manager comes over and tells you not to po the customers and stick to English, taking all the fun and utility out of it.

Paul

Old 03-24-2014, 05:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Two things -one they may have given people with gaps in employment chances and have been burned. Two -are you a hispanic, because often that is the real requirement, the Spanish language requirement is just so they don't have to hire nonhispanics.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
OP are you really going to lose sleep from not getting a grocery store job? Come on you already sound like you can do better

Old 03-24-2014, 06:43 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,281 times
I think she was the person in charge of the hiring.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:52 PM

736 posts, read 1,695,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
OP are you really going to lose sleep from not getting a grocery store job?
Yes, that job is a no-brainer and not getting the job just makes me feel like I can't do anything right.

I took one of those long and tedious "assessment tests" online, as part of the application process, then I got called in for an interview, only to screw it up.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:54 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
For a crappy, minimum wage job in a grocery store?

My biggest question is, would you even want to work with a witch like her?????

Old 03-24-2014, 06:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
For a crappy, minimum wage job in a grocery store?

My biggest question is, would you even want to work with a witch like her?????

It's crazy what people have to go through to get a crappy minimum wage job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search