Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 06:45 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times

Advertisements

How often are references still checked these days and how many is the minimum to provide? Because I've only worked for 1 company most of my adult career near 15 years. Can it be peers who you've never worked with? Can it be multiple people from the same company? I figure they're checking character too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 06:53 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Generally when you fill out an app It will ask for three "professional references" and many times under each job you list it will demand the supervisor's name and phone number and check if it is OK to contact them. If you check no other than for a current employer it is a big red flag.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
How often are references still checked these days and how many is the minimum to provide? Because I've only worked for 1 company most of my adult career near 15 years. Can it be peers who you've never worked with? Can it be multiple people from the same company? I figure they're checking character too...
Three is enough. As I mentioned in an earlier post, "I usually listed references as people who were NOT my employers but business people with whom I interacted on both a professional and personal level." If you do volunteer work you can also solicit a reference from whoever you work with/for in that organization.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:40 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
Anyone else get a bunch of people you worked with at one time who are applying to a job at your new company, but they put you on as a referral even though you didn't refer them, nor would you have in the first place?

I've always been honest. Most of the folks who have done that to me were lazy people who complained all of the time and I didn't want that harming my reputation where I work.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:04 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Generally when you fill out an app It will ask for three "professional references" and many times under each job you list it will demand the supervisor's name and phone number and check if it is OK to contact them. If you check no other than for a current employer it is a big red flag.
I have heard about the red flag. But people may say no because the previous supervisor is no longer with the company. In that case, who will the potential employer call?

Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I have heard about the red flag. But people may say no because the previous supervisor is no longer with the company. In that case, who will the potential employer call?
Just say yes. When they call they will find out the person is no longer there and they will be directed to someone at the company who can help. I only ever say no to my current job.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:10 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Just say yes. When they call they will find out the person is no longer there and they will be directed to someone at the company who can help. I only ever say no to my current job.
Or just give them HR's number.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
It was reported this morning on the Today Show that 62 percent of references give bad reviews .............. So I guess people need to make better selections of who they are choosing for a reference
I check references, for tenants, not employment, but part of that involves checking employment.

I would say, that as a rough estimate, 95% of the people who apply with me don't deserve a good reference. So maybe 38% of the people giving references are being nicer than they should be.

The job applicant doesn't get to choose who they give as a reference, except for 2-3 personal references that probably won't even be called. In a job application, you are giving your work history, and you either worked for a company or you didn't. You can't chose to give a better reference.

The way that you get a good reference from a job is to work hard, be pleasant, show up on time, and do your job well. If you are habitually late, hide in the lunch room, play games on the office computer, are rude to your fellow workers, or take sick days to go to ball games, don't expect to get a good reference.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:21 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I check references, for tenants, not employment, but part of that involves checking employment.

I would say, that as a rough estimate, 95% of the people who apply with me don't deserve a good reference. So maybe 38% of the people giving references are being nicer than they should be.

The job applicant doesn't get to choose who they give as a reference, except for 2-3 personal references that probably won't even be called. In a job application, you are giving your work history, and you either worked for a company or you didn't. You can't chose to give a better reference.

The way that you get a good reference from a job is to work hard, be pleasant, show up on time, and do your job well. If you are habitually late, hide in the lunch room, play games on the office computer, are rude to your fellow workers, or take sick days to go to ball games, don't expect to get a good reference.
You make some good points. I do think that good references from former employers are more about whether they like you than how good you did your job. And there has to be accounting for personalities. The outgoing employee who does the office happy hour every week probably will be better liked than the quiet employee who is polite and cordial but keeps to him- or herself. It wouldn't surprise me if the outgoing person's work is so-so, and his computer sees heavy game-playing time, but he gets a good reference.

In short, references are mostly subjective. I know that employers want to avoid that problem employee and that hellish work experience. But background checks, pre-employment drug testing, interviews and even shadow days are useful tools.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:14 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Then 62% of people aren't that bright. Who would ever give out a reference that had even a 1% chance of giving them a bad reference?
You sound sheltered and very unaware of life.

Not too many people give out a reference, unless they're sure the person will say something positive.

I can tell you of some real life instances of people who were let go, thought they were "friends" with certain co-workers, were told they could use them as references and the "friend" either badmouthed them, avoided the interviewer's calls or referred them to HR.

This happens all the time. This is why it's important for everyone to "test" their current list of references to make sure they're on the up and up. Sometimes people who you think are your friends aren't and secretly can't stand you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search