Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:28 PM

92 posts, read 117,897 times

Advertisements

I'm 25, dropped out of college, I don't really have much job prospects, I've been unemployed for 6 months, my only job when i was 23 - A Shoe Salesman/Retail Management position that only paid $7.25.(And i decided to quit because there was no room for advancement, other than taking out trash of other people, cutting up Fed-Ex boxes and just standing around like a mindless ape)

I've been trying relentless for any entry level jobs, security, I.T, retail, customer service, with no avail, and now there's a position that i luckily found in a newspaper, and I interviewed for.

It's a Motel Job in Long Island (and i live in Queens New York), basically, a one and a half hour commute from car. I never discussed the pay with the Boss, but i did refer him mention that it would be $8 starting and probably $10 after one month.

He said he needed someone committed to work for him long term. It's going to be a night shift night, it's very slow at night so I'll most likely be sitting down, and attending customers, making phone calls and organizing any necessary paper-work.

And the boss was always changing his mood-swings every now and then he was saying stuff like "you have no hotel experience so be thankful I'm giving you an opportunity because i like your personality" Then he was saying other stuff about how he has many other candidates lined up(but I highly doubt they were as good as me, cause i feel like I'm a perfect fit for this job) and the accomodation of other people (house keeper and another afternoon guy) living in a separate house, and they don't pay anything, but he was asking me for $100 a week.

That's why i had a weird gut instinct and i checked out of the room of where i was staying the past couple of days on my training. I wrote a note to the boss stating that i want $11.50 per hour and free accomodation, and i packed my stuff and got outta there.

I'm basically relocating my whole life(From Queens) to Long Island, and I'm going to be staying in a moderate size house, but quite a small room. And the work is going to be 7 days a week, sometimes even 10 hours a day.

Even if he accepts the $11.50 offer that i wrote him, you guys still think I should do it? Or wait until something else comes up in my near my area Because I think the Hospitality Industry is something in which - once i get experience - it could lead me somewhere, but the bad part about it is that my social life will suffer tremendously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 06:37 PM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times
Don't do it.

It will 99% most likely not lead anywhere.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Don't do it.

It will 99% most likely not lead anywhere.

The problem is, which other job is going to pay me $9 and up? I tried countless amount of times on craigslist, indeed, careerbuilder, Simplyhired(ok, maybe i didn't give it my all) but i still sent mass applications.

And the only type of job offers that i attract are either commision based(selling Verizon Fios On the streets) or for Fortune 500 companies(which is also a dead end) Either that or it's going to most likely be a standing all day or warehouse position (since i mentioned I only have experience in sales, retail and a little bit of dispatching/catering/internet cafe work in the past)

Maybe I have to sacrifice my social life, and save as much as i can for 1-2 years, until i get something better? Because right now, I just don't see myself getting anything at the current time being, and I'm honestly trying my best.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Take it if he'll make the deal. A bird in the hand after a long period of unemployment and not a single offer coming your way ...

Old 03-25-2014, 07:05 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Levenfifty and no rent? Sign me up!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Levenfifty and no rent? Sign me up!
was $11.50 too much asking price?

What's the least that i should accept it, if i get a call back? $10? $10.50? $11?

You have to realize, I'm basically giving up my whole summer, my whole social life, all my life that i know in my neighborhood.

I'm going to be giving up and relocating everything in order to work at this motel. Even if it's not a physically active job, and it's mostly chilled, I'm giving up a-lot for it.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:08 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Take the offer and grow from it. You can still learn interpersonal skills (soft skills) while working there. If I were you though I would start thinking a military career potentially. The starting salaries are low, but they pay for your housing and food.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i would be so grateful for the job and take it and have.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:15 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaUZE_BOSS View Post

What's the least that i should accept it, if i get a call back? $10? $10.50? $11?

You have to realize, I'm basically giving up my whole summer, my whole social life, all my life that i know in my neighborhood.

I'm going to be giving up and relocating everything in order to work at this motel. Even if it's not a physically active job, and it's mostly chilled, I'm giving up a-lot for it.
The decision on how much to accept (if you're offered) is subjective. You know what you need to live on.

As far as "giving up my whole summer, my whole social life, all my life that i know in my neighborhood", people make many, many sacrifices to keep a roof over their head, so that moaning doesn't touch my heart at all. You do what you have to do and knuckle down to it. People relocate a heck of a lot further than from Queens to Long Island for a job opportunity!

PS: If you have a lot of downtime at the job, start using it to take some online courses!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:19 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaUZE_BOSS View Post

That is why it is called "work" and not "vacation." You are 25, unemployed, no resume, no apparent skills and no job prospects, yet you are willing to turn down a full time plus job and a room because it is easier to maintain an active social life if you are unemployed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search