Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:42 AM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Staying 2-4 years might be perfectly normal. However, when interviewing, companies are usually hoping to hire for the long haul. They want the candidate that will want to stay at the company for many many years into the future. At the same time, the employer doesn't want to commit to keeping the employee that long. It's kind of one sided, because they want the candidate to stay for the long haul, but they employer wants to be able to layoff/fire the employee whenever it best suits the employer.

Not really fair or realistic because it's a one sided "commitment" that really is not a commitment.So you go along with the plan and say that you want a long career there, if asked. In reality, you never know how long you will stay. But saying this in a interview is the wrong answer. Maybe in reality you will stay 2 years or 10 years or 25 years at that company. But you role play in the interview that your plan is to grown your career there. And in truth, sometimes you do.
I completely disagree with this. I've been in the professional world for 30 years, and done my share of interviewing and hiring. I have never worked for a company where the thought process was to hire someone with no intent of long-term employment. Ever. Being able to "fire/layoff" is a given, with poor performance. That's a no-brainer, and just part of life!! But it is certainly not a factor at hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:43 AM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Your downfall is you told them you are interested in working for them for a few years, no employer wants to invest into someone for only a few years. Albeit, the offer did have mistakes as well, but ones that could have been overlooked if the company's mission and work load are impressive.

Exactly.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I completely disagree with this. I've been in the professional world for 30 years, and done my share of interviewing and hiring. I have never worked for a company where the thought process was to hire someone with no intent of long-term employment. Ever. Being able to "fire/layoff" is a given, with poor performance. That's a no-brainer, and just part of life!! But it is certainly not a factor at hiring.
It depends on the Industry. In high paying, high stress industries such as Investment Banking, Management Consulting, Private Equity, Venture Capital-outlook is much shorter.

Old 04-02-2014, 10:47 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
There is nothing wrong with rethinking if you wish to work for a company at any time, no matter how it inconveniences them. It is actually a good thing, as the employer should be the employee's best option at all times, and if they fail to be, at any point, it is time for a new job. Employment at will is a two way street, Thank God.

There is also no reason an applicant should mention it, at any time.

That was the critical mistake the OP made.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:45 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
I recently interviewed with a few companies. They all ask if I'm talking to other companies and I answer yes.
I received an offer from one company. The pay was a little lower than I expected but benefits were good and I liked the area where I would need to relocate to. The offer came in on a Wednesday afternoon and they requested an answer on Friday. I asked a few questions about the relocation side of things (I thought that part of the offer was low) and asked for an additional week to consider housing cost estimates from realtors. My request was declined and the offer rescinded over the weekend.

I was disappointed, but thought it strange they only gave me 48 hours to accept. I can understand if they said no to my request for extra money for the relocation but I didn't think a week to consider was excessive at all. I figure it was for the best.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:13 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I recently interviewed with a few companies. They all ask if I'm talking to other companies and I answer yes.
I received an offer from one company. The pay was a little lower than I expected but benefits were good and I liked the area where I would need to relocate to. The offer came in on a Wednesday afternoon and they requested an answer on Friday. I asked a few questions about the relocation side of things (I thought that part of the offer was low) and asked for an additional week to consider housing cost estimates from realtors. My request was declined and the offer rescinded over the weekend.

I was disappointed, but thought it strange they only gave me 48 hours to accept. I can understand if they said no to my request for extra money for the relocation but I didn't think a week to consider was excessive at all. I figure it was for the best.
If they told you they needed an answer by Friday, you should have taken them
seriously. They meant that they needed an answer by Friday. You blew their due date and maybe they thought you don't take due dates seriously.

You could have said "yes" and then changed your mind later but then you would have been in the drivers' seat. Next time don't be so wishy washy. Commit next time. COMMIT!

Why did you need 1 week to consider housing cost estimates from Realtors? This could be evaluated in 1 hour on the internet.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:31 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If they told you they needed an answer by Friday, you should have taken them
seriously. They meant that they needed an answer by Friday. You blew their due date and maybe they thought you don't take due dates seriously.

You could have said "yes" and then changed your mind later but then you would have been in the drivers' seat. Next time don't be so wishy washy. Commit next time. COMMIT!

Why did you need 1 week to consider housing cost estimates from Realtors? This could be evaluated in 1 hour on the internet.
My extension request was on time. But to my surprise, the relocation package was below expectations for the industry and my past experiences. Tough to negotiate extras after you accept the offer. You don't commit until you have an offer you can live with.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:34 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I sure have though many companies that do this rely on temp agencies to provide a constant stream of suckers to exploit. Sadly very common in my profession especially with larger corporations.

Old 05-25-2014, 11:36 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
My extension request was on time. But to my surprise, the relocation package was below expectations for the industry and my past experiences. Tough to negotiate extras after you accept the offer. You don't commit until you have an offer you can live with.
At the same time, not answering by a deadline should have left you anticipating a retraction of the offer.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:09 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Too bad you didn't attempt to negotiate extras by the Friday deadline. They might have given you some extras. Instead, you tried to extend the Friday deadline that they already gave you. Why did you think it would take 1 week to get comparisons about cost of living. Why didn't you do that (get cost of living comparisons )between Wed and Friday? For that matter, why didn't you do this BEFORE the offer came in, since you already had an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search