Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:47 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
Here's a Las Vegas classic: "How long have been in Las Vegas?"

What offing difference does it matter how long I have been here? Is there a time limit before I'm supposed to get a job. And are you offering to pay my rent with this position?

i was told by an HR person who works in the city that companies are using the question to indicate whether or not you'd remain in the area. Not certain how that would work if the person lied to you…but anyway…
If that's the reason they ask that question, it's a stupid one. Let's assume the applicant answered the question truthfully. He/she moved to LV three days ago. That doesn't indicate how long they will stay in the future. LV has a lot of transplants, and people always need a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
When I interviewed, the lady literally had a book in her hand, reading me questions: tell me about a time when you disagreed with a co-worker and how you both made up, tell me about a time when you did something nice for someone. Ugh..
If the job was a high profile career booster I would endure these types of interviews (and I would have no doubt the high profile jobs aren't like this). Often times for a lateral move or a slight step up I would just walk away. These are turn offs for sure, especially if this is a manager that is asking you these questions. If it's HR that's one thing, but a manager shouldn't be asking such nonsense.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:37 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post

Basically - state a weakness, and what you're doing to improve it.

Neutral answer:
  • I'm a perfectionist. Too cliche, too "Interview Book"ish. I'm not thrilled about this answer, but I'll take it.
If the interviewers are bent on asking the same cliched questions for the last 25 years, they are going to get cliched answers. I would be a lot more impressed with interviewers if they did not all ask the same textbook questions and then expect different creative answers. They have to know that people will give rehearsed answers. As you yourself indicated, answers that are stupidly honest are, in fact stupid. It's a dumb question

The Worst Interview Question (and How to Answer It) - Priscilla Claman - Harvard Business Review

Old 03-29-2014, 10:01 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
I never understood these questions:

"What is your weakness"? Everyone has a weakness-no one is perfect; as an interviewer you should know which weaknesses will be a deal killer for the position and test for those with case interview questions. Ditto for the strength question. Simply asking such cliché questions is a sign of laziness. Furthermore, not everyone agrees on what is a weakness and what is not. A deliberate decision maker can be either a strength or a weakness depending on circumstances.

Questions along the lines: "what is your dream job"? or "where do you see yourself in five years"? are even sillier than the one(s) above it. As an interviewer I only care whether or not you're a fit for this particular position and not something down the line.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:23 AM

856 posts, read 1,051,495 times
Exclamation Hey, K...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobseekerkat5 View Post
Well hello!!! lol You get around I see. You make good points as always. And very good article too!!! I always answer this question when asked it and am much more comfortable with than I was in the past. Just threw me seeing it on an online app.

Great to see you, be well

Kat,

Seeing these types of questions on the app instead of being F2F is an advantage since you can take your time to 'fill in the blanks' with something you pulled from a book about 'dumb interview questions'.

And, even better, there is no one checking your body language while you are trying to keep a straight face...

See you, Kat.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:57 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
What is a good answer for weaknesses?
Something like "Delegating tasks." You tend to try to do everything on your own. However, you are working on delegating tasks to your other team members.

Or not enough employee recognition. But you are working on creating an employee recognition program.

OR working too many hours. You get wrapped up in your job, and you tend to stay after hours. But you are working on a better quality of life.

Always end a weakness with a positive

Old 03-29-2014, 12:03 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Something like "Delegating tasks." You tend to try to do everything on your own. However, you are working on delegating tasks to your other team members.

Or not enough employee recognition. But you are working on creating an employee recognition program.

OR working too many hours. You get wrapped up in your job, and you tend to stay after hours. But you are working on a better quality of life.

Exactly why questions like that are stupid. All they do is help people who come up with fake answers that sound good.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:44 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post

Thank you....so funny, I have used all of those.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:42 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,682,080 times
"Why is there such a large gap in your employment history from your last job up until now?"

"Umm because I was, and still am, unemployed?"

Old 03-29-2014, 05:11 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
The key to the weakness question is to figure out a weakness the employer would see as a positive. For example:

"I am a little obsessive compulsive about completing tasks, and frequently stayed late to finish things I had started that day at my last job."

"I frequently prioritize work over family or social needs, I probably need to work on that, but I generally find work more personally rewarding."

"I always seem to spend about as much money as I earn, so I am typically looking to move up, but then I spend more..., it frustrates me sometimes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search