Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:21 PM

7 posts, read 7,860 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

So I'm in a tight bind. I have been interning at this engineering company for a year now and I'm about to graduate in May. I have been interviewing for full time positions for when I graduate with different companies, at first just for the experience because I was dead set on staying with the company I'm currently interning with after I graduate , but then I received and enticing offer from a bigger and global company. My current company has maybe 6 offices so it is smaller. Well it turns out a couple of days later I received an offer from my internship company. I really thought about it for a while but I ended up accepting the offer from the global company. Now all I need to do is basically decline the offer from the current company I am working with but at the same time ask permission to keep interning until I graduate. What do I do??!!! I am really stuck because I don't want to look bad every day from now until my last day in front of all my coworkers and especially the managers. How do I do it!!! I need to let the owner know tomorrow. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 11:25 PM

I work tomorrow by the way so I need to do it during my shift :O

Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 PM

Come on people

Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Simply tell them while you appreciate the opportunities you have been given, that you have decided, at this time, it was in your best interest to pursue employment at a global organization. I would bet this is not the first time they lost someone this way, and smaller corps do recognize they cannot swim with bigger fish, and win often.

Last edited by bobtn; 03-30-2014 at 11:52 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 11:50 PM

I've been reading on ways to do it and I've came up with writing a letter. Since I'm going to be working while I decline their job offer, should I still write the letter? Or just go into his office and tell him. I mean I do want to keep working there until I graduate which is a month from now. I want to try to make this transition as smoothly as possible.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Tell him in person.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:01 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
this is not as big of a deal as you are making it out to be. It's normal and you will eventually get used to it. This is not like dating, where you are rejecting one boy for another and still hanging onto the old boy lol.

You have an internship with one company -- accepting a new job should not alter the terms of your current internship. Most companies don't expect interns to stay, yet they still hire them...usually it works out well for them (cheap labor perhaps).

I would go into the office and say ...you know, this was an incredibly hard decision. I really love working here. Since I received your offer, I got another one -- I was pretty surprised. After a lot of hard thought and discussion, I've chosen to go with the global company, because it is more in line with my professional goals.

But I really appreciate all I have learned here and I want to continue to contribute, I don't need to start the new job until (whenever) and Id love to stay on here until then...

something of that nature...

Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 AM

Yeah I'm still learning lol. It's just that this is something so different for me and I want to make sure I don't burn any bridges. This was really great help and very detailed. I appreciate it!

Old 03-31-2014, 12:13 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah888 View Post
Yeah I'm still learning lol. It's just that this is something so different for me and I want to make sure I don't burn any bridges. This was really great help and very detailed. I appreciate it!
good luck.

I know the feeling, you definitely want to leave doors open. Offer to document any processes you may have been handling, or where your projects have been left off in order to help a new person.

Let them know that you hope you are making the right decision, and you can't predict the future -- you think this is the best first step but it was hard to choose and that maybe someday you will work together again once you gain more experience in the field, but that now you want to see what it might be like to work with a global company.

I guess it depends how close you are with your bosses/managers. But I was in a similar situation once and we talked at length about it. Anyone who is a professional will encourage you to make the best professional decision for you!

Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
good luck.

I know the feeling, you definitely want to leave doors open. Offer to document any processes you may have been handling, or where your projects have been left off in order to help a new person.

Let them know that you hope you are making the right decision, and you can't predict the future -- you think this is the best first step but it was hard to choose and that maybe someday you will work together again once you gain more experience in the field, but that now you want to see what it might be like to work with a global company.

I guess it depends how close you are with your bosses/managers. But I was in a similar situation once and we talked at length about it. Anyone who is a professional will encourage you to make the best professional decision for you!
Your advice is really helpful. I don't know why I am stressing so much about it but again this is different for me because it is going to be my first full time job. Learning is always best when you have advice. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search