Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Would you rather have a) nuts and bolts college professor or b) head in the clouds surrealist speaking his/her mind to you in a lecture hall twice a week?

It's OK to think outside the box but trying to convince students there are no barriers is something else.
Spoken as someone who has never experienced world class instruction and world class critical thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Makes sense.. The Powers that be in corporate america are frightened turtles when it comes to IVY league superstar genius grads that could replace them at their position at a whim.

Just being a college graduate with a bachelor's make the associates degree or or high school graduate management teams in their positions paranoid as all hell.

Management doesn't want folks more educated, knowledgeable etc. than they are. Its competition. ROFLMAO

My boss can't even make a freakin pie chart or line graph on Microsoft Excel or create a simple table.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:19 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I'll be the first to acknowledge that my thinking is likely in error. But there is a huge perception that the rich are the ones who largely attend the Ivies, and most people equate 'rich kids' with 'not really understanding the value of hard work'.
There is a higher proportion of students from upper middle class and wealthy backgrounds than many schools, yes, but it is not correct that the rich are the ones who attend Ivy League schools. Students come from the full range of the socioeconomic spectrum.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You don't think you have to work hard to get into an Ivy League school?

Some of you have really weird, scary thinking.
I actually interpreted that as the idea that "rich kids" may not know the value of hard work outside of academics. Say a upper-class girl and a working-class boy both graduated from the same high school with honors. While the former may have been afforded the time to focus on her studies and maybe take piano lessons and volunteer while the latter had a part-time job after school and during the summer. The girl gets into <insert Ivy League school here> and tuition is not a problem. The working-class kid may have applied to the same or similar Ivy League school but instead chooses to go to State U. because it's cheaper.

Let's assume that they each graduated again with honors from their respective schools and happen to be competing for the same job. The idea that a hiring manager might favor the young man from State U. over the young man from the Ivy League school would be a fascinating phenomenon.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:23 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Spoken as someone who has never experienced world class instruction and world class critical thinking.
Spoken as someone that actually thinks that critical thinking is that meaningful.

Anyone can prop up the idea of going to higher education to "think critically" that's a cop out. That's like telling a kid to "Just say no".

Critical thinking means what now. Finding something that failed and fixing it.

You need to read some DeBono. Try thinking creatively and laterally as to design things so that one does NOT have to think critically of them later on

And again as I mentioned before Ivy league professors often times don't just teach there. Why should they? The AAUP would be in an uproar if they slapped non competitive agreements on professors.

Does a Ivy league professor *REALLY* need the institution?

In higher ed who really performs the research? the professor the institution?

In higher ed who really publishes and does all the legwork? the professor or the institution?

I'm sorry but the vast majority of professors if they work there are largely working there probably out of tenure but if you can have the students you want and go directly then what exactly is the point then?

Old 04-03-2014, 07:56 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Spoken as someone that actually thinks that critical thinking is that meaningful.

Quote:

In higher ed who really performs the research? the professor the institution?

In higher ed who really publishes and does all the legwork? the professor or the institution?
Well, I worked at one... and the answer to both is the Professor, and where there is institutional support it is because the Professor (not the institution) wrote the grant to get the money to pay for the research support.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:26 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times
Quote:

Anyone can prop up the idea of going to higher education to "think critically" that's a cop out. That's like telling a kid to "Just say no".

Critical thinking means what now. Finding something that failed and fixing it.

You need to read some DeBono. Try thinking creatively and laterally as to design things so that one does NOT have to think critically of them later on
Umm. About that there critical thinking? I do not think it means what you think it means.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Ivy league is overrated. They don't always have the best programs of study.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but the vast majority of professors if they work there are largely working there probably out of tenure but if you can have the students you want and go directly then what exactly is the point then?
I would hope so! Why would you want to study under an nontenured professor?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:39 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
I wouldn't be surprised by some reverse discrimination against the top schools. Some Ivy Leaguers and top tech grads have a reputation for diva behavior. Many students are accepted to those schools because of legacies more than their actual academic performance. And others have been coddled from nursery school by image-obsessed parents to get into the Ivies. I have a hard time believing a recruiter wouldn't be wary of that. Employers want you to be grateful for your job. They don't want you to expect to be made an executive or partner in a couple of years because Dad and Mom demand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search