Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 10:56 PM

137 posts, read 199,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
What if you were employed but on a contract that ends in June?

Also, I have to travel that distance for any job interview. I live in the middle of nowhere. So part of my apprehension is that maybe I should "save" my gas money and days off for opportunities where an interview is guaranteed, rather than an interview contingent on a mysterious skills test.
Then yes. If you feel the job would be worth it, should you get hired then I say yes. Especially if you foresee your contract ending in the coming months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 AM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Nope. Years ago I took off a day from work to take a test for another company. The company was closer to my house (about a 10 minute drive)but before I could get an interview I had to take a test that felt like the ACT, including advanced math, history and English. It was for a marketing position and about 50 people were taking the test for various reasons. I didn't get the job and ended up wasting hours taking it. Oddly the company called me again but I turned them down because I am not taking this stupid test again that doesn't even pertain to the job.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:15 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

It does seem odd that a company wouldn't have some type of online skills test available.
One good reason for not having an online skills test is there is no way to ensure the applicant is the person who completes the skills test. Say, for example, you want to test someone's Excel skill. They could have a friend or family member do the assessment for them.

OP, my advice is... if it's a job you're interested in, do it. Since it sounds like you're going to have to take a day off work and drive several hours for any interview, might as well do this one and start trying to line something up when your current contract ends.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:24 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
If you're interested, then there's no harm in going.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:38 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Nope. Years ago I took off a day from work to take a test for another company. The company was closer to my house (about a 10 minute drive)but before I could get an interview I had to take a test that felt like the ACT, including advanced math, history and English. It was for a marketing position and about 50 people were taking the test for various reasons. I didn't get the job and ended up wasting hours taking it. Oddly the company called me again but I turned them down because I am not taking this stupid test again that doesn't even pertain to the job.
I would agree with this. If it is say like a food-handlers test or insurance test, it is one thing however if it is English excerpts and History questions that have no barring to the test, it is another case of HR psycho-babble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
One good reason for not having an online skills test is there is no way to ensure the applicant is the person who completes the skills test. Say, for example, you want to test someone's Excel skill. They could have a friend or family member do the assessment for them.
So what's the difference between doing that and using a resume from a resume writing company? I can get the online skills but if it takes three hours to an, an hour or so for the test and three hours back, why can't they try and find a better option for the test, especially when the job is not anywhere near the testing facility.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM

40 posts, read 182,395 times
Would it be worth it for me? Yes I would do it if I was seriously interested in the company.
If you aren't fully interested in the job then don't go.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:52 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
If you really want the job it may be worth it. But with the cost of gas these days, it definitely should be a job you want, as that is a bit of an investment for a skills test.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:08 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I would agree with this. If it is say like a food-handlers test or insurance test, it is one thing however if it is English excerpts and History questions that have no barring to the test, it is another case of HR psycho-babble.

So what's the difference between doing that and using a resume from a resume writing company? I can get the online skills but if it takes three hours to an, an hour or so for the test and three hours back, why can't they try and find a better option for the test, especially when the job is not anywhere near the testing facility.
Well, first of all, a resume isn't a test. It's a document where you make certain statements and claims about your skills and experience. Most people lie on them, to some degree. Testing is a way to verify you really can type 100 wpm/do certain functions in Excel/program in a specific language/do 10 pullups/whatever is relevant to the job.

Since I don't know the specifics about this particular skills test nor what type of job the OP is applying for, I can't really shed any light on the specifics about why the testing center is located where it is. If it's a government job, though, there may be some sort of government restrictions or rules about the location.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:26 PM

260 posts, read 605,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Slo View Post
Would it be worth it for me? Yes I would do it if I was seriously interested in the company.
Even if you were seriously interested in the opportunity and/or company, wouldn't you have to factor in an estimate of your chance of actually getting hired?

For instance, if they're bringing in 50 people to take a skills test and only bringing in the top 5 test scorers to interview, then my best estimate is that I have a 5/50=1/10 chance of even getting an interview. Having to ask for a day off work, plus spending $50 for gas, for only a 1 in 10 chance of getting an interview, would not be worth it for me, personally.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Oh, brilliant, and obvious once you said it. So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
Even if you were seriously interested in the opportunity and/or company, wouldn't you have to factor in an estimate of your chance of actually getting hired?
I know what your chances are if you don't go. zippo.

Defeatist people irritate me.

Good luck to you in finding the job opportunity with the odds you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search