Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 05:11 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times

Advertisements

Yes, always wear a suit to an interview. Make sure that you have good shoes. Charcoal grey is a safe colour ... tie blue ... nice quality cotton shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 08:09 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,587 times
This is probably a bit off topic and in the wrong forum, but men have such better choices for professional attire than women. The fabric for men's suits come in more sophisticated colors and patterns and seemingly better quality.

Anyways I think there's a lot of options for you, just practice wearing a suit like it's a natural everyday garment, and you won't feel uncomfortable when you get used to it.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
This is probably a bit off topic and in the wrong forum, but men have such better choices for professional attire than women. The fabric for men's suits come in more sophisticated colors and patterns and seemingly better quality.
You just haven't went to the right place yet. I have my suits custom made and they are expensive but well worth it. I can choose the fabric, the style, color etc...

Old 04-10-2014, 08:28 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You just haven't went to the right place yet. I have my suits custom made and they are expensive but well worth it. I can choose the fabric, the style, color etc...
How much do you pay for a suit?

Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
When I interview for positions at my law office, the way the applicant dresses is very important to me. Everyone of us meets clients and people who could potentially be clients. I want anyone who works for me to look their best.

If an applicant came in with blue jeans and a casual shirt, I would be most reluctant to hire them. I suppose the exception would be if they could demonstrate their skills very superior to all other applicants. If that were the case, I might hire them after a long heart-to-heart chat about the importance of appearance.

I expect men to come dressed for an interview in either a suit or at least pants and a sports coat (with tie). I don't expect charcoal black or gray, but the general appearance should be sharp. Any woman applicant better wear a skirt or dress to her interview with a conservative blouse. All applicants better have dress shoes that are either new or shined.

Appearance does count for something in this world and more so with some positions than others.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:35 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
I think it really depends and you are right, wearing a suit and tie can be a negative. For example I recently interviewed for a PM job at Microsoft and was told NOT to wear a suit, tie optional. best solution is if you are working through an independent recruiter who can offer guidance. That's not always possible, so you just have to use your best judgment considering position, company culture and even time of year. I'd say as a rule of thumb, one step better than your expected day-today dress.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:38 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Any woman applicant better wear a skirt or dress to her interview with a conservative blouse. All applicants better have dress shoes that are either new or shined.
I'm not working in a legal environment or a woman, but that seems kind of sexist. Lots of women wear suits with pants.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:58 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan123 View Post
It's hard when you don't own one the day before lol..I've never had a real good interview before so I guess I got to go buy one.
So, how did the interview go? ;-)

Old 04-10-2014, 10:23 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True. And if someone is very uncomfortable in a suit, the latter might be better.

Region matters a lot, some parts of the country are quite informal.
So you get comfortable in the suit.

Wear it around the house for a couple of hours a day or so before, look at yourself in the mirror.

If the weather is hot, you run the A/C in the car and you put the suit jacket on when you enter the lobby of the building.

To use your logic, the OP should wear shorts if they're not comfortable in long pants.

You're there to impress the employer, not just do what makes you feel "comfortable".

Old 04-10-2014, 10:26 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
I think it really depends and you are right, wearing a suit and tie can be a negative. For example I recently interviewed for a PM job at Microsoft and was told NOT to wear a suit, tie optional. best solution is if you are working through an independent recruiter who can offer guidance. That's not always possible, so you just have to use your best judgment considering position, company culture and even time of year. I'd say as a rule of thumb, one step better than your expected day-today dress.

That is completely different and doesn't apply here. You were told NOT to wear a suit, so if you had it would show you don't follow orders well.

You wear a suit to a corporate interview.

I have to laugh at the posters who suggest calling the company to see what you should wear. If that information got back to the wrong person it could blow the interview.

What's next? Can you tell me the best route to get to your office...LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search