Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:25 PM

9 posts, read 45,329 times

Advertisements

I'll make it straight and simple....

I've had interviews over the last 2 weeks with 2 different companies.....

Company A - Is with a large company, but the pay is mediocre, it is not in field, and I don't have much passion for it. However, the job would still pay more than what I earn now, and would overall be better.

Company B - Is almost my dream job, pay is great, benefits is great, etc... etc.... I want this job.

I finish 2nd round interviews with both the other week.

Company A has made a offer today. Of course I will think about it, and it will be a backup.

I have not heard back from Company B. The interview was Monday of last week, and though they said they would try to make a decision by that Friday (last friday, 1 week ago from today), they couldn't guarantee it.

2 things to know about company B......1) They told me I was a top 3 candidate 2) regardless if hired or not, they would let all the finalist know.

So, here I am now, about 2 weeks since my last interview with company B. What I'm looking for, is a script or help on what to say to company B? I want to send a email to the person I interviewed with, and ask something along the lines of...."What is my current status blah blah, I have received another offer blah blah, However I would strongly perfer to be with Company B blah blah" but i'm afraid of sounding desperate.

Usually I have no problem with sending emails like that, but today it feels like i'm working through a fog.

Anyways, please help me come up with something to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 01:02 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
I would call rather than email. Scripts are terrible IMO, be yourself - don't be robotic. Be sincere and tell them what you are thinking. That's all you can do with them.

In the meantime, if it comes down to crunchtime and you must, I would probably accept the offer from Company A and then if COmpany B extends an offer I may go for it (being as nice as I can to company A).

Best of luck.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:03 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
A bird in the hand...

What you say is Yes to offer one, and worry about company "B" if that comes to fruition.

As a hiring manager, if you called me and said "I have another offer" and I was undecided, I'd take the person who didn't try to extort me before even being an employee.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,311,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
A bird in the hand...

What you say is Yes to offer one, and worry about company "B" if that comes to fruition.

As a hiring manager, if you called me and said "I have another offer" and I was undecided, I'd take the person who didn't try to extort me before even being an employee.
Well, on the other hand, if you're moving at a glacial pace and the person is genuinely interested in working for you, I wouldn't exactly call it extortion. I know people that would take less money if they felt company B was a better prospect.

Simply saying you're enthusiastic about a position and asking about a decision time frame is not a big deal, IMHO.

Pitting you against Company B in a bidding war would probably be extortion. Simply wanting job offers at the same time in order to make an informed decision without burning a bridge isn't.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:57 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
Personally I'd be straightforward with company B, and tell them you have a job offer and you're wondering how soon they'll make a decision, because B is your dream job.

BUT the downside of doing that is that they may reject while they may have offered you the job 3 weeks from now. In that case, you would have been better off taking the job at A and just waiting to hear back from B.

On the other hand, you do have a job already, so you can afford to not take the first job... espcially since it's not in your field.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:58 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Speaking of some one that has been in the corporate world, and acted as a HM regularly and talking to others in the same position, let me tell you how it works.

Telling Company A you are wanting to wait to give them an answer, as you are hoping for a better job, will get your application sent to the bottom of the pile. They know you are working, and looking for a better job. And not being able to give them an answer because you are hoping for a better job with another company. They would not be interested in you from that point on, as it is an indication you will hop to another company soon if you can get a better offer.

It shows they cannot count on you, and you are the one that will be looking for a better offer all time and your application goes to the bottom of the pile. It may be rejected, or held back while they are seeing if they can find someone they feel would be reliable and around long enough to spend time on training for the new job with them. Yes everyone hired, always needs some training to fit them into the job regardless of how much experience they have. Every company does things, a little different.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Speaking of some one that has been in the corporate world, and acted as a HM regularly and talking to others in the same position, let me tell you how it works.

Telling Company A you are wanting to wait to give them an answer, as you are hoping for a better job, will get your application sent to the bottom of the pile. They know you are working, and looking for a better job. And not being able to give them an answer because you are hoping for a better job with another company. They would not be interested in you from that point on, as it is an indication you will hop to another company soon if you can get a better offer.

It shows they cannot count on you, and you are the one that will be looking for a better offer all time and your application goes to the bottom of the pile. It may be rejected, or held back while they are seeing if they can find someone they feel would be reliable and around long enough to spend time on training for the new job with them. Yes everyone hired, always needs some training to fit them into the job regardless of how much experience they have. Every company does things, a little different.
OP already has an offer from Company A.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Take the offer from Job A and tell them you need a start date that is at least xx weeks away.

Contact Job B and ask for a status update. Don't overcomplicate the matter. Just reiterate how much you appreciate them taking time to interview you. Ask if they can provide a status update.

If you hear back from Job B before time has elapsed on the start date on Job A, just contact Job A and tell them the situation has changed and you are no longer able to accept their offer.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:20 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,311,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

You missed the point, OP already has a job offer from A and presumably has interviewed/far enough into the hiring process with B.

The OP does not want to burn a bridge with either A or B, but wants to make an informed decision.

I don't see any drawback from asking B when they will make an offer, and whether it could be expedited at all, as long as it is tastefully and professionally done.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM

9 posts, read 45,329 times
Update:

Thank you everyone for the advice. I appreciate all of it.

I went ahead and sent a very simple and brief email inquiring about a decision timeline. I received a response back a few hours later. Unfortunately, I did not get the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search