Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 07:53 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,512,449 times

Advertisements

If you want the job, then you have to comply. If you don't feel comfortable with their level of intrusiveness, then pass on the job and move on. I personally feel they're looking to pull up way too much. Driving record is seriously none of their business unless your job specifically involves driving duties. People who are drivers for a living with CDLs, I agree it's important to check that. Credit checks have been banned in 10 states, and New York is on its way to being no. 11. Credit should be checked when duties require handling money. But it's an employers' market so unless some concrete laws are enacted against credit checks, nothing you can do. You really want the job? Comply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 10:13 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,449,233 times
I do not see what the big deal is unless you have something to hide. It is their job to do background checks.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,819,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah7 View Post
C'mon guys!

am I in the minority of people who believe that people should have some privacy? Where is the limit?

I totally understand that employer doesn't want to hire criminals - thus for that reason there are criminal history checks which I am totally okay with. The next and last thing is SSN check to see if you're eligible for working in the States and if the SSN is valid. Anything beyond that should be your privacy....

Ain't no employer's business your Facebook account, credit score, not even driving history if you are not going to drive company's cars. And I don't even like idea of digging in my employment history because I did separate with some employers on not very good terms and I don't like them to be in touch and I don't want my former employer to know I am getting this job.
If you feel that way then feel free to try to place limits on the person you are asking to employ you. They may fee free to not hire you. Both parties to this transaction have rights. While you have the right to refuse to comply, any company hiring you has a right to refuse to hire you. Only you can decide whether it is worth it.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:59 AM

23,312 posts, read 23,696,635 times
I have had background checks on my last two jobs (but not my current one). They provided me a copy and this is what was checked:

1/ Employment history. Company, dates, position held and reason for leaving.
2/ Felony conviction history.
3/ Driving record check (accidents, etc).
4/ Education history (degree verification).
5/ Previous residence address history
6/ Credit history.

When I authorized the background check, I signed a statement indicating that my offer was contingent based upon a successful background check. These companies are not government or financial related companies, but private companies.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:02 AM

105 posts, read 170,981 times
The "background check authorization form" is listing out all the possible checks (criminal, driving, employment, education, ...). The HR told me, verbally, that they are not checking all of those. Looks like they have the form very general for all possible positions in the company.

In that case, I wonder what will happen if I add a sentence next to my signature with something like:
"The scope of the background check shall be limited to criminal, driving, ssn verification"

Old 04-13-2014, 11:05 AM

105 posts, read 170,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I have had background checks on my last two jobs (but not my current one). They provided me a copy and this is what was checked:
Damn, whose business is where you lived years ago??

Old 04-13-2014, 11:08 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,749,708 times
Um....you have to consider that not all employers have the same locations and demographics.

Where I work we all pretty much drive in. However, we also go to conferences and training programs. We have vehicles for business use rather than taking our own vehicles (SUV's and sedans). So of course they want a good driving record as no one wants to be stuck driving all the time. It isn't a matter of driving ALL the time but you'd be amazed how many do not have the ability to drive simply because they live in a city.

Credit? Well transaction to do anything generally require a check because frankly criminal activity can be a a precursor to other activity.

Unless it violates a protected class then they can make a judgement.

Here's what they can and cannot do.

They CAN

Not hire smokers
Not hire people that are overweight
Not hire people with a criminal background
Not hire people with bad credit
Not hire people without xyz degree
Not hire people without xyz experience
Not hire drug users

They CANNOT

Discriminate over gender
Discriminate over age (I believe this is over the age of 45 but depends on the state)
Discriminate over religion
Discriminate over race
some states with sexual preference

At the same point for contractors they still have to abide by many of these if they want to do business with government agencies.

We have some debates like this in Mass all the time with CORI reform. Some criminals manage to have their records sealed and that makes it a hard argument if to hire someone or not. If they cannot find work they'll be on the system or worse yet re-offend but at the same point who would hire them if they knew?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,818,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Contrary to popular belief, most places aren't going around checking candidate's Facebook accounts. Some do but most don't. No one is checking driving history if driving is not a part of the job. Although driving history is related to criminal checks. Credit checks are not always done is not as invasive as you think. The company generally returns a single sentence response like "favorable credit history." The employer is not going over your full credit report.

Job history is important. How else will they know if you lied about your experience. Most times they will use a SERVICE like The Work Number to verify employment. They aren't necessarily calling every single last job you've had. Even if they did call, it's not like your former boss or coworkers are the points of contact. One HR person will just verify that you did indeed work there.

Sounds like you are being paranoid and/or trying to hide something and are trying to make it into a privacy issue.

Have you mowed your grass outside of your house? Guess what? Your address, your car and license plate, and your face have been made public to anyone who walks or drives by. How's that for a privacy issue.
And it seems like most people would be smart enough to have a Facebook account without their real name attached to it in 2014.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:02 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,818,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post

1/ Employment history. Company, dates, position held and reason for leaving.
2/ Felony conviction history.
3/ Driving record check (accidents, etc).
4/ Education history (degree verification).
6/ Credit history.

When I authorized the background check, I signed a statement indicating that my offer was contingent based upon a successful background check. These companies are not government or financial related companies, but private companies.

I wish I received a copy of my background check so I can know why I was hired. I like to know the reason good things happen too not just the bad stuff lol

Old 04-13-2014, 12:02 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,679,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah7 View Post
Have you ever attempted to refuse or limit an employment background check on you?

I have learned that the third party company running these background check is not accredited member of NAPBS nor Better Business Bureau, which makes me feel uneasy since they are to handle my personal data.

Also, the FCRA consent form is telling me that they can obtain criminal history, driving history, employment history, credit history, SSN verification, general reputation, personal characteristics, mode of living, personal interviews with my neighbors and friends.

I will be entry-level employee. I won't have access to accounting and finances. Am I the only one who believes that this employment background check should be only limited to criminal history and social security number validation?
Its interesting how they can know everything about you but you can't know jack about them. You are more then welcome to refuse the background check but if you refuse it you have to refuse all of it. If you do refuse you won't go any further in the hiring process and they move on to someone who will accept the background.

I would also look at it like this- if you are this difficult to work with now for a simple background check how will you deal with bigger things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search