Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:36 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times

Advertisements

I've grown very frustrated with recruiters. They almost never lead to job interviews, and they just usually waste my time so they can brag about how many resumes they forwarded to the employer. I just had once call me about a job I applied to that is far away. We had a phone interview and then he asked me for my references. I hesitantly gave them to him, and he reassured him that I would be sent for an in person interview if they checked out.

Of course he also wants a Skype interview, and already called my references. I'm kind of ticked off. My references are busy and are probably assuming I was getting a job offer, but now I have to do a skype interview and then maybe get an in person interview. If I don't get an in-person interview, I am going to be furious that he bothered my references. If I could do it over again, I would probably tell him thanks but no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:57 PM

40 posts, read 182,418 times
I'm really starting to loathe temp recruiters. I had a temp place call my references before I had even left their parking lot. The sad thing is they didn't have a job at the moment, I also had to do all of the phone calls, setting up interviews for a particular company - only for the company to cancel the job. Then I had another company schedule me 3 different times.
Yet unfortunately I still keep checking their job boards as well because I need to work. This is another thing I will not miss once I find a job.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
You're complaining that the recruiter did his/her job? This is a new one. If you don't want a job, or it's too far away, then don't do the interviews. Why would you complain that a recruiter calls your references when YOU gave them to him/her? Look, I do sympathize because I might be on the job market soon. To complain that the recruiter bothered your references just doesn't make any sense.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:07 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
It is improper to call references until right before an offer. Most real professionals understand this as one cannot have their references pestered everytime one talks to a recruiter or applies for a job or supervisors would be on the phone all day talking to reference checkers instead of working.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 PM

360 posts, read 812,058 times
Many recruiters are “pre-qualifying†their candidates these days before they present them. While this is apparently commonplace in Europe, it’s lame here in the US. When a recruiters tells me this, I tell them that I only want my references contacted AFTER I have been made a job offer. That usually ends the conversation.

OP, going forward, unless you are desperate for work, simply state to recruiters that you’ll supply references AFTER you are interviewed. The ones who have a problem with this probably don’t have a job for you anyway.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
You're complaining that the recruiter did his/her job? This is a new one. If you don't want a job, or it's too far away, then don't do the interviews. Why would you complain that a recruiter calls your references when YOU gave them to him/her? Look, I do sympathize because I might be on the job market soon. To complain that the recruiter bothered your references just doesn't make any sense.
It was WHEN they were called that was improper. Read my post. And then read the two responses posted after yours. I get called by head hunters every other week. If they were calling my references before even an interview every week I would no longer have any references.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Because the purpose of references is to be contacted right before a job offer not before a interview

Old 04-17-2014, 12:16 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
It was WHEN they were called that was improper. Read my post. And then read the two responses posted after yours. I get called by head hunters every other week. If they were calling my references before even an interview every week I would no longer have any references.
Don't provide them with the references until after the interview(s) if the employer is ready to move forward.
I never give my reference contact info until after the employer asks for it. It has never been an issue.

Most of the time, I dealt with internal recruiters. But my current job was through a third party headhunter, he tried to get my reference contact info before my last round of interviews. I wouldn't provide it to him, instead I emailed the reference contact info directly to my now manager, after I contacted my references to give them the heads up.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:45 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Don't provide them with the references until after the interview(s) if the employer is ready to move forward.
I never give my reference contact info until after the employer asks for it. It has never been an issue.
Today employers for the better quality jobs, don't want to waste their time on applicants that are not already screened to find it they are the employee they are looking for. There are so many applications, they want to eliminate those that they would not consider hiring. It costs money and time, to hold interviews, etc. By lower echelon people checking out references, history, credit reports when needed, etc., it means the HM is only be talking to pre-qualified people.

Their time is too valuable to waste it on applicants that after checking them out, that they would eliminate. There are too many good applicants available, to waste their time and money on unqualified applicants. That is why they use recruiters to find qualified people to consider. They run an ad, and get 500 applicants. This ties up their people and themselves trying to sort them out. Let a recruiter send them fully qualified and checked out applicants, and they only have to use a limited amount of time and resources to do the hiring.

Refuse to give references in advance, then forget getting the job. If I was back hiring in the corporate world, that is exactly what I would be doing.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:46 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,314 times
Sorry, my experience is recent and it differs. These were well paying tech lead positions at some of the top companies in the world. They were the ones contacting me, I was/am employed, not really looking. I do admit I have gone through the process either out of curiosity or for the free trips.

Never was asked for references before interviews. And when I was at the big tech companies, we didn't ask for reference unless we were ready to make an offer. We actually contacted references ourselves, not through the recruiter since we were interested in the candidates technical background.

And as some one who acted as reference for others, I would seriously question a company's recruiting process if they needbto waste my time just to screen people to bring in for interviews. And it would **** me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search