Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 12:15 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
There's plenty of people in this world that think cheaters always win. I see these people as short lived dreams, only to wake up and find themselves scrubbing toilets at the local dollar tree.
Liars and cheater run the Nation and most businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 12:17 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Liars and cheater run the Nation and most businesses.
Sometimes yes, sometimes you just have very smart people that find loopholes. Can't blame them for finding loopholes in the system and taking advantage. The liars and cheaters I'm referring to are doing it without remorse, just like the ones here. There are no loopholes when it comes to faking anything on your resume, it's blatantly lying for gain.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:35 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
I believe different jobs are a different fit for people in various times in their career.

I mean, all a reference means is that you weren't a total f@ck up at your last job. I have been able to get good references easily from places I've been laid off from.

Let's say you got fired from the past two jobs which were middlin' in terms of how relatively demanding they were. Then you fudge your work history and references and someone from a good company buys it and hires you. You won't be able to keep up and you'll just get fired again.

On the other hand, if you've been fired from your past 2 jobs, and downplay it a bit, a company which is a little bit easier and less formal will give you a chance. And it may be the perfect opportunity to mature and grow.

Once you start lying about who you are and misrepresenting yourself, you'll drown at your new job. Guaranteed.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:41 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,325 times
Quote:
Why would you ever lie?
Is this a trick question?

Old 04-19-2014, 12:44 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,734,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
It can very well be, and some interviewers ask, "would you ever lie for the company?" A good answer is an indirect one, "I would not do anything to hurt the company." If they pressure you for more then explain you would have to hold up to your morals and ethics.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:46 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Not to those who have no reason or desire to lie but certainly to those who have a history of messing up and no moral compass.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Sometimes yes, sometimes you just have very smart people that find loopholes. Can't blame them for finding loopholes in the system and taking advantage. The liars and cheaters I'm referring to are doing it without remorse, just like the ones here. There are no loopholes when it comes to faking anything on your resume, it's blatantly lying for gain.
or not to be treated/stereotyped unfairly or starve. You can't win if you fudge a little for a job you are amoral and if you don't you are lazy useless unemployed.

If I had a gap or an ex-boss slandering me I'd have no choice but to lie.

Besides, most people do not get hired based on merit. They get hired because they know someone, are related to someone, or because the hiring manager thinks they'd be cool to hang out with.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 04-19-2014 at 12:57 PM..

Old 04-19-2014, 01:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Besides, most people do not get hired based on merit. They get hired because they know someone, are related to someone, or because the hiring manager thinks they'd be cool to hang out with.
An opinion you trot out over and over again verbatim. Most people are hired on their merits. Many get a foot in the door because they know someone or are related to someone. I've never known or heard of anyone being hired because "the hiring manager thinks they'd be cool to hang out with".

Old 04-19-2014, 01:42 PM

Have you been to an interview? The minority of almost every interview I've been to focuses on how competent you are, Its all HR "lets hire the cool guy who is a great fit" psychobabble. So I ask why should anyone play by the rules of a rigged and unfair game.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:58 PM

821 posts, read 1,100,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Not to those who have no reason or desire to lie but certainly to those who have a history of messing up and no moral compass.
I was actually encouraged and pressured into falsifying documentation at an old job. Actually my reluctance to lie put me on bad terms. So did I falsify? YES, on hundreds of documents and putting my signature to things which I didn't know bumf--k about and lying to DOH surveyors.

It was that... or see the door!

YES, I lied everyday there for months on end before leaving to maintain an income.

I also lied on interviews by using another excuse and saying that place was "great to work at" because after all, telling the truth and stating, "The place is a corrupt, hostile dungeon with an abusive boss" is tantamount to "talking badly about a previous job".

Lying is necessary for many candidates these days. That, or leaving information out (currently pregnant for example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search