Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 AM

26 posts, read 46,521 times

Advertisements

I work in the technology sector in NY (Web, not programming), and never really had trouble getting interviewed. Based on personal experience, I get offered the job within the week of initial contact, two weeks tops.

If you're in tech, do you find my interview/hiring process experience similar to yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 09:28 AM

38 posts, read 116,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopetite View Post
I work in the technology sector in NY (Web, not programming), and never really had trouble getting interviewed. Based on personal experience, I get offered the job within the week of initial contact, two weeks tops.

If you're in tech, do you find my interview/hiring process experience similar to yours?
The job market in NYC is ridiculous good for IT at the moment.

I am a Software Engineer in NYC, I usually get offers in 1-3 weeks from initial contact, the larger the company the longer it takes. I tend to get an offer for nearly every job I interview for. All of the competent engineers I know experience the same.

I believe this is due to high demand and bad supply.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:30 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
I've never gotten/taken a job that went more than 2 hours after the interview.

IT folks generally when they see someone they want.. Pull the trigger. If there's not an HR department involved.

I certainly think my experience is unusual, even in the IT field.. But, it's my experience.

This past job, I made it a couple of miles down the road when they asked me to turn around and start immediately. The only reason they let me walk out the door without an offer was to check references.

There have been a couple that have called back after a week or two with an offer (Charter Communications being one) that I've declined.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:08 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
My current job, a little more than 3 weeks lapsed between my interview & the verbal offer. They had a pretty good idea they wanted to hire me, but I was the 2nd interview and they had a few more candidates they wanted to interview. Then, once the last one was interviewed, they had to deal with the logistics of scheduling the 14 interviewers/hiring committee to sit down and come to agreement.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:09 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
I'm a computer engineer in Seattle where demand is high, but generally supply is also pretty good. I think the longest between interview and offer was a day. The fastest was a guy that called and wanted me to start Monday. He didn't ask me a single interview question, which didn't seem that odd since I had worked there before in a different team. I figured he must have talked to my old boss since it was obvious from my resume what projects I had worked on, and I knew my old boss would give me a glowing recommendation. However when I got there and he was showing me around, he was completely taken aback at the number of people who greeted me and welcomed me back. He had no idea I'd worked there before! I was completely taken aback at his approach to hiring, but he somehow hit the jackpot. I had the exact skillset he needed and was up and running before most new people could've figured out their email. Turns out that's just how he was - lucky. The guy could fall into a sewer and find a bag of money. I've never worked for anyone else remotely like him, but to this day he was my favorite boss. Not sure if that actually qualifies as an 'interview'.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 AM

26 posts, read 46,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mharroun View Post
The job market in NYC is ridiculous good for IT at the moment.

I am a Software Engineer in NYC, I usually get offers in 1-3 weeks from initial contact, the larger the company the longer it takes. I tend to get an offer for nearly every job I interview for. All of the competent engineers I know experience the same.

I believe this is due to high demand and bad supply.
This is exactly how it is for me. If three weeks goes by without contact, I've forgotten about the interview. One week without contact, I know they didn't like me. If there's no HR involved, it's almost instant.

@Labonte18 - Me too, if they ask too much questions that's not IT related, let's say 60% concerns "how did you handle the most difficult task you encountered", I know I'm not going to work there. But if they approach me with a question like "I hate that I can't find the problem with this meta tag issue, is this a bug, what do you think?", it doesn't bother me it takes 2 hours to interview.

@Wry_Martini - That's pretty nice of them to interview others, as per my experience, they just cut everyone off once they find "the one" or even "he seems good". How do you say they had "pretty good idea" they wanted to hire you? Did they seem happy with your skills or your fit into the company culture?

@Kayela - I think that most IT managers don't bother with recommendations, the once with actual IT skills/background anyway. Most important is skillset... That and you don't sound like a jerk during the interview.

I am trying to keep this thread updated for the benefit of tech people who are new to the industry, as all of you know, Technology hiring is very different than most hiring processes, as most of us have have very diverse skillsets.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:35 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Here in Silicon Valley, it takes between a few days to a few weeks. Some companies do multiple interviews (3-4 interviews) before a decision is made.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 PM

390 posts, read 824,345 times
I do mostly backend web programming, and in my experience, I've never gone a week without contact.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
I've been hired on the spot and I've had a multiple-month process. More typically is 1-2 weeks; if you don't hear by then it's probably not happening.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:12 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
3 weeks to 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search