Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for an organization based in Houston, Texas. I currently live in Broward county, FL. So, this job would require me relocating, which I am open to....... if it is indeed worth it.

I am currently employed at a university in south Florida and make a little over $50k/year. Not dazzling, I know, but it keeps a roof over my head and the bills paid.

Anyway, I have interviewed with this employer and the interview seems to have gone well, the lady after the interview requested "3 currenet references" and 2 writing samples. . . current references she made clear means references from my current place of employment.....

Ummmm, well..the problem with that is my current employer doesn't know I'm looking for work and while I can produce 3 references, I first want to make sure the compensation would be such that it is worth it to uproot my life here in FL and move.... And to be honest, I wouldn't wanna relocate for anything less than $10k. Meaning, I'd wanna make like $62-$65k/ year. Otherwise it wouldn't seem worth it to me if they offered me like $53k or $55k....that couple extra thousand wouldn't be worth it to me.

So here in lies my dilema. Do I email her and just be honest and tell her "look, I can give u the 3 references, but I need to know what the compensation will be.....aka... what would I be getting paid? Because if it not quite a bit more than I do not want to relocate and it won't seem worth it..." I dont wanna move all the way to Texas for an extra $3k or $4k....

Why is salary not posted on these job listings anymore? And why is it not talked about? Whats the big deal? it almost seems taboo to bring up pay on the interview and its like .... wtf? I need to know the pay. That's why im working, cuz I need to be paid. I'm not working for the fun of it.

Do u suggest I email the lady who interviewed me and just be honest with her that before I provide her with references I would like to know what the pay is? I mean, this is kind of a big move for me in the event I accept the position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 09:12 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Yes, I think, before you go any farther in this process that you should know what the pay range is. If they won't disclose, refuse to go any farther in the process. In my mind requesting current coworkers info for references is a sign the recruiter is fishing for leads first and foremost.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Yes, I think, before you go any farther in this process that you should know what the pay range is. If they won't disclose, refuse to go any farther in the process. In my mind requesting current coworkers info for references is a sign the recruiter is fishing for leads first and foremost.
What does that mean "fishing for leads?"..... the recruiter who interviewed me would actually be my supervisor if offered a job. So shes not a recruiter per se, but the "director of the department"....

So u think I should email her and ask what the salary range is first? Do u think that will hurt my chances of getting the job?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Yes, you need to email her with your concern. A professionally written and worded inquiry that lets her know that you do not want your current employer contacted unless the salary range for the position exceeds your minimum to relocate.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:26 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
An offer from 50k/yr to 55k/yr is a 10% raise, are you sure that's not worth it (to me it is, after 3 years that's a 15k difference)? You have to think of it in terms of %. 62k from 50k is 24%, anything in that range is a huge increase in salary, and most likely a pipe dream, especially if they already know what you make.

As for you handing over those requested documents, DO IT. Simply have 3 letters of recommendation for employment, it doesn't need to be from your CURRENT employer, and I most certainly wouldn't be crass enough to ask for that from them. If you have any published papers/articles/thesis or even poster presentations use those as professional writing examples. You may be able to also use some from your previous employer (if it's not against company policy). Good luck.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
An offer from 50k/yr to 55k/yr is a 10% raise, are you sure that's not worth it (to me it is, after 3 years that's a 15k difference)? You have to think of it in terms of %. 62k from 50k is 24%, anything in that range is a huge increase in salary, and most likely a pipe dream, especially if they already know what you make.

As for you handing over those requested documents, DO IT. Simply have 3 letters of recommendation for employment, it doesn't need to be from your CURRENT employer, and I most certainly wouldn't be crass enough to ask for that from them. If you have any published papers/articles/thesis or even poster presentations use those as professional writing examples. You may be able to also use some from your previous employer (if it's not against company policy). Good luck.
But, im not gonna get a $5k pay raise every year. So that $15k over three years doesn't even apply to me. I mean, if that was the offer: a $5k/year raise would def make me make the move knowing it would eventually turn into $15k/year.

Again, for me to move for a $5k raise wouldn't seem worth it.
The expense of moving alone would eat that $5k raise in a heart beat. Not to mention I dont know anyone in Texas. A $5k raise would not really even provide a quality of life boost really. I mean.... i dont know. I'm willing to relocate, but just not for a measley $5k... To me. That does not seem worth it.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:44 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
But, im not gonna get a $5k pay raise every year. So that $15k over three years doesn't even apply to me. I mean, if that was the offer: a $5k/year raise would def make me make the move knowing it would eventually turn into $15k/year.

Again, for me to move for a $5k raise wouldn't seem worth it.
The expense of moving alone would eat that $5k raise in a heart beat. Not to mention I dont know anyone in Texas. A $5k raise would not really even provide a quality of life boost really. I mean.... i dont know. I'm willing to relocate, but just not for a measley $5k... To me. That does not seem worth it.
Ask for a relocation package. If you get a standard raise (and most universities have pay freezes on that) I'm sure you will be matched at the new employer. For me, my minimum is a 10% increase in pay and relocation, if they can do that I will gladly accept. I'm moving to Houston in 2 weeks, I know two people that I haven't spoken with in a few years that live there, so I virtually do not know anyone. My new employer is paying relo and giving me a 15% raise, and 10 times better bennies; I'm all over it.

5k more per yr is not measley, but if you think so do what you please. Good luck.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Ask for a relocation package. If you get a standard raise (and most universities have pay freezes on that) I'm sure you will be matched at the new employer. For me, my minimum is a 10% increase in pay and relocation, if they can do that I will gladly accept. I'm moving to Houston in 2 weeks, I know two people that I haven't spoken with in a few years that live there, so I virtually do not know anyone. My new employer is paying relo and giving me a 15% raise, and 10 times better bennies; I'm all over it.

5k more per yr is not measley, but if you think so do what you please. Good luck.
I'm intrigued by Houston, which is my im posting this question. I would NOT mind moving to Houston. It seems like a lot of economic opportunity there. But I have to be practical here and weigh the benfits of moving for $5k or..... something more?

I just wanna know what the pay-range is for this position. Is it being too forward to simply ask that? like whats the big secret? thats my thinking.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:20 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,812 times
Quote:
I'm intrigued by Houston, which is my im posting this question. I would NOT mind moving to Houston. It seems like a lot of economic opportunity there. But I have to be practical here and weigh the benfits of moving for $5k or..... something more?

I just wanna know what the pay-range is for this position. Is it being too forward to simply ask that? like whats the big secret? thats my thinking.
Knowing your "number" is important. Stick to it.

You really should have asked about this in one of the interviews.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:36 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
I interviewed for an organization based in Houston, Texas. I currently live in Broward county, FL. So, this job would require me relocating, which I am open to....... if it is indeed worth it.

I am currently employed at a university in south Florida and make a little over $50k/year. Not dazzling, I know, but it keeps a roof over my head and the bills paid.

Anyway, I have interviewed with this employer and the interview seems to have gone well, the lady after the interview requested "3 currenet references" and 2 writing samples. . . current references she made clear means references from my current place of employment.....

Ummmm, well..the problem with that is my current employer doesn't know I'm looking for work and while I can produce 3 references, I first want to make sure the compensation would be such that it is worth it to uproot my life here in FL and move.... And to be honest, I wouldn't wanna relocate for anything less than $10k. Meaning, I'd wanna make like $62-$65k/ year. Otherwise it wouldn't seem worth it to me if they offered me like $53k or $55k....that couple extra thousand wouldn't be worth it to me.

So here in lies my dilema. Do I email her and just be honest and tell her "look, I can give u the 3 references, but I need to know what the compensation will be.....aka... what would I be getting paid? Because if it not quite a bit more than I do not want to relocate and it won't seem worth it..." I dont wanna move all the way to Texas for an extra $3k or $4k....

Why is salary not posted on these job listings anymore? And why is it not talked about? Whats the big deal? it almost seems taboo to bring up pay on the interview and its like .... wtf? I need to know the pay. That's why im working, cuz I need to be paid. I'm not working for the fun of it.

Do u suggest I email the lady who interviewed me and just be honest with her that before I provide her with references I would like to know what the pay is? I mean, this is kind of a big move for me in the event I accept the position.
Don't give references for people at your current job. Tell them you can give references for a previous jobs or else tell them forget it. If you give them references at your current job and they find out and they find out you are interviewing are up the river without a paddle... You already have a job. When they say jump you don't need to ask how high. And I'm agreement with regards to the move. 5k isn't enough to make a move. There is inherent risk in moving jobs, and you don't want to move too much so you need to make sure you accomplish what you want when you make move. Whether money, career advancement moving whatever. If all your getting is 5k forget it, if you have some other priorities that new job fullfills, fine but it doesn't sound like it does.

Last edited by jdm2008; 04-20-2014 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search