Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:11 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
If a company does not get back to you after 5-7 days, should I assume they simply aren't interested?
One application I've sent in they contacted me the next day for an interview. Other times it takes two or three weeks before they get around to contacting me. There's no industry standard. I submitted my application for a job at QVC, and I got a rejection letter the next day, I never got a negative response so quickly from a company. I guess I rather have a negative response then never getting any response at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkierog View Post
After my last job search I got several calls 6+ months after applying or sending in resumes. It was ridiculous.

I remember going to an "interview" for a meter reader at an utility company, 20 of people sat around a long conference table, they told us what the job entailed and we took a test. Almost a year later they contacted me and wanted to know if I was still interested in the position. Like I have nothing better to do then sit by the phone in case they call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 04:27 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkierog View Post
After my last job search I got several calls 6+ months after applying or sending in resumes. It was ridiculous.
It is. The job search thing now is so frustrating. Employers make potential candidates jump through so many hoops. My husband applied for a job a few years ago. 6 MONTHS after he applied he received a rejection letter. Thank goodness he wasn't pinning his hopes on that job! The most frustrating thing, IMO, is not getting any salary information, especially for positions that require lots of experience and/or specialized technical skills. Why shouldn't the candidate know if it's worth it to bother applying in the first place? Money shouldn't be such a huge secret.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
OP there is no set time frame. It will vary from immediate automatic responses, to generic 'we've received your application', to nothing at all. Be prepared for the latter to happen most frequently, despite your tailored CVs and cover letters, and periodic correspondence to determine if anyone has actually read your application.

Welcome to the 'real world'.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,416 times
I applied for a job once that I interviewed for and did not get. I really wanted the position. A year later I was having a very frustrating day at the office. I came home to a voice message for me to call the place I applied to a year earlier. They said that they had not offered me the position back then because they were not yet ready to implement some of the ideas that I had...but they were now. I went to talk to them the next day and was offered the position.

Sometimes an employer will comment, "We will keep your resume on file." I always thought, "Yea, sure." I guess some of them actually do.

Best of luck job hunting!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:29 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,693 times
Assume they're not interested and keep looking. Your job now is to get a job.

Your university should have an office that will work with you for job placement. Recruiters, former Alumni, etc. will contact that office and request applicants. USE THAT RESOURCE AS FULLY AS POSSIBLE!!!! Don't wait. Call them, make an appointment and go down there as soon as you can!!! I cannot emphasize this enough! You paid for this service as part of your college fees.

Also, NETWORK with fellow graduates. Find out where they got work or are looking. Talk to your professors and see if they have any suggestions. Look at what your professors may have published--they may have done research for companies.

Do NOT slack off for a moment. Stop surfing the web and applying for random jobs online. Setup an account on LinkedIn, stating your ACCOMPLISHMENTS, not just a laundry-list of this or that.

Right now, you are a SALESPERSON and the product you are selling is YOU and how YOU can immediately and directly improve the BOTTOM LINE for a company or organization.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:41 AM

356 posts, read 1,269,224 times
You need to contact them. After I submit an application I find out who is in charge and contact them, introduce myself, let them know i dropped off my application and thank them for their time and that i look forward to (hopefully)hearing from them.

I have looked for a job 3 times in my life and 3 times I got every job I applied for (except 1 where i screwed up) and then i choose what was the best fit for me. Employees like someone to stand out and be eager

Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 AM

335 posts, read 801,151 times
Four years ago, I got callbacks from my applications within a week. This last time I was unemployed (from Dec '13 to March '14), nobody contacted me inside of two weeks. The longest response time was almost three months. These were all government contracting companies in Northern VA, btw. They tend to move at a glacial pace. But from what I have seen lately, almost all sectors are taking their sweet time contacting applicants. Employers have the upper hand, so why not? Frustrating, but all you can do is keep applying.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:26 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
well I have had them wait 4+ months . I had one call me and I told them I had already taken a job and they asked me how I could do that when they left numerous msgs about how interested they were in having me come to work there ? I replied back with the fact that I never received any msgs from them and the girl came back and asked me if I was so and so and this is my phone number correct ? No they had the wrong name but the right phone number it seems some one in the company mixed up the names and phone numbers I knew right then and there I did not want to work for such a stupid and mismanaged company .

Old 04-23-2014, 01:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belladee View Post
You need to contact them. After I submit an application I find out who is in charge and contact them, introduce myself, let them know i dropped off my application and thank them for their time and that i look forward to (hopefully)hearing from them.

I have looked for a job 3 times in my life and 3 times I got every job I applied for (except 1 where i screwed up) and then i choose what was the best fit for me. Employees like someone to stand out and be eager
The bulk of jobs are don't call us, we'll call you so calling may work and put you over the bar or may in fact leave you high and dry with the company. All depends if the hr or hiring manager appreciates the initiative or thinks you are being annoying. It is high risk, high reward.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:49 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,693,340 times
Thanks for all the helpful responses everyone. The 6 month response is pretty frightening. I hope I'll be able to find a job within that time frame...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search