Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 08:40 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
I just don't understand how she can't send a "Thanks but we have nothing at this time type email" rather than hear nothing. My contacts live in another part of the country they won't do the news delivering, that just simply won't happen. Its out of their hands at this point, that's not how this has been set up

I find a few days in with no reply to be strange. Total strangers can get a generic email and I have nothing, no acknowledgment
Total strangers followed established procedures and deserve responses. You tried to do an end run and deserve no response.

I agree that I am a bit of a stickler for things, but your process and multiple contacts added work to HR. This indicates that you are likely to be a troublesome employee. If I were the HR director I would discard your résumé and not think twice about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 09:16 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
getting frustrated by the job search process is a waste of emotion because it's out of your control. Your job is to remain creative and constantly looking for other opportunities that will get you closer to employment.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:46 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,898,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Total strangers followed established procedures and deserve responses. You tried to do an end run and deserve no response.

I agree that I am a bit of a stickler for things, but your process and multiple contacts added work to HR. This indicates that you are likely to be a troublesome employee. If I were the HR director I would discard your résumé and not think twice about it.

Thats ridiculous.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:47 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
^

I bet you have hard time finding jobs.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:07 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Thats ridiculous.
No, the ridiculous thing is expecting me to give you an advantage in the hiring because my wife's friend's kid needs a job and bypasses the hiring system I set up in order to streamline the process.

I hire people who can read, follow rules and are qualified for my open positions.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:03 PM

41 posts, read 53,272 times
Go back to basics
a) Are you even sure they received your resume? Did it reach the right people?
b) Your follow up email - are you 200% sure it did not land in their junk / spam folder?
c) Is the "contact" on vacation?

All of these an easily be solved with a quick phone-call - starting with your Dad and following the chain - who did your Dad send the resume to? Did your Dad receive an acknowledgement that the resume was received.. did that person forward it? When was it forwarded? Would it be okay to call the person it was forwarded to? and so on... follow the chain to its logical conclusion.

HR people get upwards of 500 to 1000 emails each day - if they need to take the time to respond to each one - they would not be getting any work done.

I think you are a bit too anxious here - two things most professionals would not do:
a) Try to deviate from the chain of contact. If you knew the person well enough to send an email, why involve our Dad at all? Since you made the judgement call to go through your Dad, you have to follow that route till it is a dead end.
b) If you thought that sending a "better" cover letter a few days later also makes you seem jumpy and not adequately prepared. You only get one chance to make the first impression. Don't blow it away.

The economy is coming back and if you are qualified enough, jobs will come your way. People want to deal with "agreeable" people and frankly your interaction here with perfect strangers who are trying to help you is far less than "agreeable". Good luck in your search....

Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
A week is way too short to hear anything back. Don't put your eggs in one basket. Keep looking while you're waiting.

It sounds like you're getting off on the wrong foot already.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philboyj View Post
Go back to basics
a) Are you even sure they received your resume? Did it reach the right people?
b) Your follow up email - are you 200% sure it did not land in their junk / spam folder?
c) Is the "contact" on vacation?

All of these an easily be solved with a quick phone-call - starting with your Dad and following the chain - who did your Dad send the resume to? Did your Dad receive an acknowledgement that the resume was received.. did that person forward it? When was it forwarded? Would it be okay to call the person it was forwarded to? and so on... follow the chain to its logical conclusion.

HR people get upwards of 500 to 1000 emails each day - if they need to take the time to respond to each one - they would not be getting any work done.

I think you are a bit too anxious here - two things most professionals would not do:
a) Try to deviate from the chain of contact. If you knew the person well enough to send an email, why involve our Dad at all? Since you made the judgement call to go through your Dad, you have to follow that route till it is a dead end.
b) If you thought that sending a "better" cover letter a few days later also makes you seem jumpy and not adequately prepared. You only get one chance to make the first impression. Don't blow it away.

The economy is coming back and if you are qualified enough, jobs will come your way. People want to deal with "agreeable" people and frankly your interaction here with perfect strangers who are trying to help you is far less than "agreeable". Good luck in your search....
Yes it was he sent me an email last night, that the resume was sent out and delivered.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
A week is way too short to hear anything back. Don't put your eggs in one basket. Keep looking while you're waiting.

It sounds like you're getting off on the wrong foot already.
Well I hope, in some form I hear something soon.

There's zero negativity here in this situation, I have no idea why some posters think that… maybe it's the way it's worded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search