Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:46 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Apples to oranges not being selected after an interview is one thing, agreeing to work a temp job probably at a rather low rate without benefits with the understanding that if you do a good job you will be hired only to get tossed back to the streets is another.

Yeah, the temping is better. You get a change to prove yourself and earn a paycheck in the meantime. I'll take that every day.

If you're tossed back, the chances are you really didn't impress them. As a temp, I've either always gotten an offer, or when I left the made a counter offer to try to get me to stay. It's an audition, and you better shine or they'll be "thank you for your help" and "turn in your ID card before 5"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 12:59 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,200,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am unemployed View Post
I was told by friends who have worked with employment agencies that if I would show up, and I hate them or they hate me and one or both us determine it is not working out, then I will never work for that employment agency again.
And do you think it will be different if you were to "interview" with the employer and turn down this job offer? Think of it from the agency's perspective. You went to them asking them to find you a job, they did, and now you decline it. Why would they waste further time finding you another one? They will conclude that either you aren't that serious or too picky.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:01 PM

3,484 posts, read 6,506,894 times
Quote:
I am on unemployment insurance benefits now and if I accept the temp to hire job sight unseen and it is just terrible, I can't just quit and expect to go back on unemployment benefits.
Remember something. If you take the temp job, you are an employee of the temp agency, not the client company. Different rules apply! Or you could just sit back and continue drawing your unemployment until it runs out. It is your call, after all.

At this point it would be all-too-easy for me to think that you're only looking for us to AGREE with you rather than providing suggestions and assistance. I'd really rather not think that.

So can you help me out here? What is is that you want/need/expect from us?

-- Nighteyes

Last edited by Nighteyes; 04-25-2014 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-25-2014, 01:05 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,863,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
it is i'm retired now.

Welcome back!
+1

Old 04-25-2014, 01:15 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,448 times
You know you can just take the job and continue looking, nobody is pointing a gun to your head. Who knows, you may go to a place and love it? And if you don't like it, go somewhere else, but don't blacklist yourself from the agency!

The job I have now I got through a temp, yes I did interview but basically started the next Monday (I interviewed on a Friday).

After 3 months I got hired on full time and I love my job so much I haven't even thought about returning to my former field, it pays pretty well, great benefits, love my coworkers, etc.

I'd rather go check out a place and have a paycheck and if it's not working ask for another assignment, but usually temp agencies do try to place you in a good position.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:23 PM

398 posts, read 746,035 times
wow, I've gone through agencies myself and there were ALWAYS an interview.. no matter if it was a 2 weeks project or 6 month contract O_O

Old 04-25-2014, 01:29 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,419,126 times
Nowadays especially at the big corps arround here it doesn't matter how good you are because the upper management is saying don't hire anyone but do X, Y and Z and ok you can get some contractors. Also a lot of companies get addicted to not paying benefits, giving paid time off, career development, being able to fire with one phone call, and on accounting sheets temps are a business expense not head count. It is not just is the temp good it is he/she irreplaceable enough to hire or can I just keep stringing temps along and replace them easily when they quit or I let them loose.

Temp to hire is often temp being motivated by a carrot on a stick.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,505,813 times
Take the job. That is a fairly normal process. Some companies simply don't want to be in the HR business and if they have a good staffing company, they will accept that the staffing company is sending them the right person for the job.

You mentioned that you have had the same job for 20 years. You have been out of the employment market for a long time. it is what it is...

Old 04-25-2014, 03:54 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Quote:
So what everyone is saying is that there is no personal side to the hiring process, just an evaluation of technical skills???
I think what I'm hearing is that the temp agency has a high customer satisfaction score with the employer, and has built a rep for predicting well over the course of years. We're all there to get the job done. If you are a professional, you will get the job done regardless of how you "feel" about the environment or your co-workers. The employer is counting on the temp agency to screen for professionalism (or whatever), and evidently it has worked over the years. It is not all about you.

I agree with the consensus - take the job fast before it goes to somebody else who is more with the times. In this case, you might be wise to examine the basis for your hesitancy. If you went into an actual interview with these question marks, it would show. Give it a rest and take the job. Fast.

Best wishes.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:13 PM

174 posts, read 282,972 times
I agree with [SIZE=5]jane_sm1th73[/SIZE] . Re: personal side, keep in mind that the company can dismiss you any time. So if the personal side is not working out, they can just let you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search