Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 03:41 PM

484 posts, read 2,210,467 times

Advertisements

Okay so this might be lengthy, but I really need solid advice.
My first job out of college I am currently making $13/hr.
No benefits whatsoever. People keep telling me I am underpaid and I feel like it is time to move.

I have been getting lots of requests for phone interviews/in person interviews, and I have been coming up with a bunch of excuses to get time off work to attend them.
Last one had me attend 3 in a 1-2 week period...

Although I did not get the job, I got called in recently to interview at an investment firm I really want to work for.
I told them possibly Friday this week, but then they ask to meet me this Wednesday.....

Just today however when I showed my employer a jury duty notice letter, she told me to file extreme financial hardship. I think she is pissed or something that lately I've been taking a lot of time off work....who knows. Either ways, I plan to be asking for time off on Wednesday and a whole week later in May to prepare for the CFA exam.

I really feel like it would benefit me in the short term if I quit my current job. I can't keep coming up with excuses to get time off to go to interviews. I feel like any moment now, the office manager is going to blow up on my face for each request...hence why I am so hesitant on confirming with prospective employer the Wednesday interview.

If you were in this situation:an extremely underpaid position, dream company interview, personal time to study for something that will magnify one's future....is it time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 03:45 PM

573 posts, read 970,838 times
No, don't quit. HR people automatically assume if you are not working, you must not be worth hiring. Stick it out

Old 04-28-2014, 03:53 PM

289 posts, read 504,661 times
Don't leave your current job until you have a new one. You are more valuable in the eyes of potential employers if you are currently employed.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:54 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
How are you going to support yourself? You need to either quit or be more selective about how many apps you send out because it sounds like you are going to get yourself fired for excessive absenteeism. If you stay, you need to give it a rest for awhile. How long have you been there?

Old 04-28-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
How are you going to support yourself? You need to either quit or be more selective about how many apps you send out because it sounds like you are going to get yourself fired for excessive absenteeism. If you stay, you need to give it a rest for awhile. How long have you been there?
Been there for 8+ months, never used to take time off last year.
I have enough saved up to last myself a year with no job...

It is a job I really want and a firm I really want to work for.
However I feel like my manager is gonna throw a huge fit the next time I ask her for time off....
If she says no, do I quit on the spot?(so that I can have a chance at a firm I would like to work for?)

Old 04-28-2014, 04:04 PM

Again I realize I can request the perspective employer to change the date/time, but I feel like if I were to ask this request...I can lose my one chance.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post

Agree, OP only you know your financial situation. Do you have student loans? Do you live with your parents or are you on your own?

And if a company can't understand and be a little flexible in regards to an interview time than that is something to think about. Do you want to work there?

As this poster said, you need to be more selective when interviewing. There are companies who would view you asking to schedule an interview outside of your work hours as an asset to have in an employee.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Agree, OP only you know your financial situation. Do you have student loans? Do you live with your parents or are you on your own?

And if a company can't understand and be a little flexible in regards to an interview time than that is something to think about. Do you want to work there?

As this poster said, you need to be more selective when interviewing. There are companies who would view you asking to schedule an interview outside of your work hours as an asset to have in an employee.
No loans and I currently live with my mother. But both my mom and I feel like it is time to part ways come June.
I have been saving up most of my paycheck for this reason...so that when time comes, it won't be such a hassle.
And even before this situation, I always thought come June it may be a time to look for a different job in a different city.

I just don't know if the time is now....but I feel like this is one chance I may lose.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:33 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
No

Old 04-28-2014, 05:19 PM

11 posts, read 24,653 times
Don't step off the dock until you've got your foot on the boat. Or the other way around. I don't know the saying, but it seems counterintuitive to quit a job for the chance at a job. There are many without jobs at all. Nobody likes this economy, and your friends do not have to live with your decision.

On another note, if you're not happy or getting what you believe you are worth, keep working on leaving for sure. Quitting prematurely just may not be that wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search