Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 04:52 PM

268 posts, read 643,099 times

Advertisements

I worked a job for almost half of a year and got fired because of "performance" even though I did everything I was asked of and got complimented for it often, which is why I think it was because someone did not like me or they needed to boot me out due to costs.

Anyways when applying for new jobs all kinds of applications ask "were you fired or asked to resign?"

How do I answer this question? I would like to select "No" and write My team downsized. But I claimed unemployment and I am worried that a background check or reference check will reveal that they "fired" me.

Who has been through this before, have you ever simply put "No" when you actually were fired?

I don't know how to deal with this one. but simply saying oh yes I was fired and checking the box will be detrimental..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 04:59 PM

Or can I check "yes" to being fired and write "downsized"? Does that count?

Old 04-28-2014, 05:34 PM

11 posts, read 24,580 times
Hi,

Two things: one is that several short-term jobs do not look great on a resume. The second is that you are in pretty good shape and have potential to spin this situation BECAUSE of the length of employment. From your post, I am going to assume you did not have any major problems that specifically led to termination such as a blow out fight with a coworker or insubordination. That's fantastic. So, in this economy, they cut costs and logically the new guy is the first to go. They cut you at a really advantageous time for them because you were not yet eligible for unemployment until six months of working there. (It does not say your location, so I cannot say that for sure. Is it 6+ months where you live?) Companies know how to work it, and the company you are seeking will understand that was likely what happened, too. I would avoid putting that you were terminated and stick to the "laid off" route no matter what. It sounds to me like you were laid off and are a good worker.

Also, maybe you were not terminated. A member on indeed.com posted: "The first thing to do is to check on what legally happened as opposed to what actually happened. Employers often "lay off" employees rather than "firing" them to protect against wrongful termination suits. If that is what happened to you, you can state that you were laid off and legally be correct."

The point is that there is potential to both be honest and to spin it a bit in your favor. You may already be in a better position than you realize. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:57 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,336,680 times
That question is a dummy question. If you ever say you were fired or check that box that says you were you will immediately be rejected.

Fortunately very few companies will reveal you were terminated. You should say you were laid off. Though it would be a good idea to hire a service of have a friend/family member posing as a reference checker call and find out what they will say.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:09 PM

I was a drone in this position and mr. nice guy bend over backwards to do anything for my boss, which is what I believe got me fired. I think they wanted an independent person not someone who keeps asking their boss to do this or that but no one told me anything like that, its just a vibe.

I had 2 years of steady employment prior and just about a year of current employment after this unfortunate event in my life.

how do I check what legally happened?

I did claim unemployment and landed a new job before i could even get my first check so I never received any money.

So I can check "NO" to the box and then write "I left because my team restructured completely and my position was no longer needed on the team"

Old 04-28-2014, 06:30 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,990,554 times
I would just put no and when asked why you left just say "laid off" or "project ended" or something. Depends on your industry.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:32 PM

One more thing I got a severance package too it was not much at all but they told me there was no hard feelings and my team felt like I deserved it. Finally they shook my hand and walked me to the exit door (I was not allowed to go back to my desk).

If you were going to terminate/fire someone for reasonable cause (performance, insubordination, stealing, violence or harassment) would you tell them "no hard feelings and give them free money for a little bit? I definitely think them saying performance was a complete lie.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,336,680 times
In the final analysis it really doesn't matter if it was poor performance, the boss decided he didn't like you anymore, or you wore a tie didn't match your suit, the job ended and you need to focus on getting a new one.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:49 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,330,423 times
THey will only ask if you are eligible for rehire. Hope they say yes, but never check the fired box.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:32 PM

11 posts, read 24,580 times
A severance package and no hard feelings? I think you can safely say you were not terminated and trust that they won't say so when your potential employer calls for a reference. Because of the potential for lawsuits, most former employers are hesitant to offer more information than dates of employment and eligibility for rehire. They have nothing to gain from risking a lawsuit for badmouthing someone who is not part of their business anymore.

Additionally, your work record shows you can hold a job for more than a few months. It sounds like you're good on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search