Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 AM

609 posts, read 807,925 times

Advertisements

I think it means "we love you and want to hire you but we have these darn other interviews that we have to get through first."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 12:51 AM

149 posts, read 310,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
I think it means "we love you and want to hire you but we have these darn other interviews that we have to get through first."
we can say same thing to people we don't like too, refusing in polite way..

for example, if i don't have interest to make friend with someone who trys to make friend with me, i would say " i will become your friend, but not now, before that i have to know more about you, we have to talk 2 more years to know each other better " ( no chance to talk during the said two years )

Old 05-05-2014, 01:04 AM

149 posts, read 310,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Not a bad sign. I got a call for a 2nd interview after the man said he was interviewing other folks. I think it really depends on how your interview went. I know I failed miserably in one interview and the guy said: "...uh, right now I'm going to interview more people."
the bottomline is, same wording , may or may not be negative sign.

we can identify whether it's bad sign or not by circumstances, such as performance during interview, whether the interviewer looked sincere while saying that...

Old 05-05-2014, 02:47 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Companies will have the interviewer tell you exactly what you were told. They are not to tell you that you are the one, or they don't want you. They are to be very neutral. There are usually more than one person to make the final decision.
They are not to give you any idea of what they themselves feel. You will or will not get the job, but when you leave after the interview you are not supposed to have any idea which it is.

I know of a young women flown from Phoenix to Silicon Valley for an interview. She was told the same thing you were. She was hired 2 days later after they could put together an employment package they felt would get her. She learned later from a woman that became a close friend from the HR department. When she was shown out, the HM danced not walked into her office waving her application saying, I have found her, I have found her.
Where you stand now, is exactly where you are to be till they make a final decision.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:02 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I always told interviewees that I had more candidates to interview, because I did. The underlying message was only, "don't expect a decision until the selected candidates had all been interviewed." No hidden agenda.
^^This.

How to react? "Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you."

Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 AM

174 posts, read 283,001 times
It's encouraging that most people here believe it's not a bad sign at all. I always took the statement "we will be interviewing more people" as a negative, maybe because I have not gotten a job offer yet.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:31 AM

670 posts, read 1,043,725 times
Default More Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
After a job interview is finished, if the interviewer wraps up with such wordings like " we have to interview more people " " lots of applications "

is it usually a bad sign of the interview ?
Absolutely not! Employers usually interview several people for a position. When they say that, they are just letting you know that you will not be hearing back tomorrow. That gives you time, though, to write the employer a nice note and thank them for their time, explain why you are even more excited about the position since speaking with them, point out how your background can help the company meet their goals, and add anything that you may have forgotten to bring to their attention during the initial interview.

Many people do not write these thank you notes anymore. I've met a couple unemployed young people who commented that that is just "sucking up." Well, guess what? Not writing a thank you note is laziness...and writing one may well show the employer that you are willing to go the extra mile if they hire you. In fact, if you were interviewed by a more mature person, the thank you note is expected.

Best of luck job hunting!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:55 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Companies will have the interviewer tell you exactly what you were told. They are not to tell you that you are the one, or they don't want you. They are to be very neutral. There are usually more than one person to make the final decision.
They are not to give you any idea of what they themselves feel. You will or will not get the job, but when you leave after the interview you are not supposed to have any idea which it is.

I know of a young women flown from Phoenix to Silicon Valley for an interview. She was told the same thing you were. She was hired 2 days later after they could put together an employment package they felt would get her. She learned later from a woman that became a close friend from the HR department. When she was shown out, the HM danced not walked into her office waving her application saying, I have found her, I have found her.
Where you stand now, is exactly where you are to be till they make a final decision.
When I left my last job, my employer wanted me to help interview folks for my replacement and also a couple other management jobs that they had opened (I left under very good circumstances and still talk with many in my former group quite a bit).

I sat in phone interviews and in person interviews with a small panel (me and one other person) and often times we said these things to people at the end or conclusion-- whether you were the right candidate or not. It is just a way of closing the interview.

If I were more interested in you (they ended up hiring my top pick), I volunteered information about next steps and even gave folks a little more hint as to who they were going to speak to next (usually if we brought you in you talked with about 4-6 people). I noticed my peers would also be more affirmative and say things like it was great meeting you, etc.

If we didn't like you it is as if we ALL said the same thing-- something along the lines of good luck in the process, good luck in your search, blah blah blah. I had a peer who actually had said, "probably won't get a chance to see you again but good luck in your search/interviewing" it was awkward. (the candidate said something like "oh I hope you see me again!"-- then weird laughter by everyone). I had just walked into their close to do my own session and ended mine with well good luck in the process blah blah blah.

I can say after doing all of the phone and in person interviews I was amazed that in a seasoned professional job (Sr level project manager of large enterprise technology projects) people would have done 0 look into the company, 0 effort in trying to have spent any time in trying to answer why are you interested in working here, a few blatantly lied (don't ever try to make it sound like you have a professional cert and then continue the charade when it can be easily looked up by anyone for verification, just pay for the cert and take the test), and just in overall be very poor interviewers. I had wrongfully assumed folks at that level had a little more---experience in being solid interviewers? My big takeaway was like-- wow, no wonder why my call back for phone interviews tends to be very high and my physical interviews to offers tends to be very high as well. Practice, practice and know how to talk to people and about yourself-- preparation goes a VERY long way.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:20 AM

346 posts, read 550,415 times
In my experience, when they say "Thanks for coming in, we have other interviews in the upcoming week(s). You'll be hearing from us!" is almost guaranteed that I won't hear back from them

The times that I actually received an offer, the companies moved really, really fast because they know that I am out there interviewing other places. Even if they have other candidates lined up for interviews, they will give hints that I'm "the one". I've confirmed this topic by talking to people in HR over casual lunch, etc. Once they find the person is the best fit, then subsequent candidates will be going through the "motion" in that they get an interview but it will be a horse and pony show only. I really wish that HR would be upfront though as I've also been on that end (being the token interviewee) and know that I never had a chance when i walked through the doors.

Not saying that this is 100% of the case because as others has mentioned they've gotten a job offer. Again, it's been my experience though that if I make a good impression, I'd hear back right away often that same afternoon.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:29 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
I think it's bad sign

Why did you ask others opinions if you already made up your mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search