Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
The fire was set to the bridge when she called HR and said "I don't consider the job offer officially rescinded until it comes from HR, not the hiring manager". It's that disrespect for the HM that would likely torpedo chances in the future. The HM, while calling with a really lame reason for rescinding the offer, at least had the decency to do so personally - as opposed to farming this out to some HR lackey.

I'm sure if you were in the HM position, and someone responded back by questioning your authority to make this type of decision, you'd write that person off for future opportunities. After all, if they're going to question your ability and authority to make staffing decisions, what else are they going to disrespect if you did in fact hire them?
Oh, for heaven sakes. What a bunch of nonsense. That train had left the station by the time he wrote the email. If the HM was so touchy about his authority being questioned, be glad you didn't get the darn job.

More likely, neither the HM or anyone else even noticed.

Most HR depts. are so overwhelmed with paperwork for new hires, and going through applications for potential one, and dealing with employee problems, and one thing and another, my guess is you have just slipped through the cracks.

I'd too would be curious if it was the personality test or just what.

Alas, unless this is probably all the information you are going to get from these folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 PM

You said there were 5 other conditions, including the background check. Is there any way you can run a background check and whatever the other 4 were to see if perhaps there something here.

We were confident that we had an excellent credit report. We always paid our bills, no credit card debt, zip. Then we went to buy something and our credit card report came back with us owing a bunch of money. It took a while to get it straightened out. But we had no hint that any of that was on our credit report.

Could be you were turned down over some misinformation on a background check, credit report, or ??

Old 05-08-2014, 06:58 PM

79 posts, read 183,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
You said there were 5 other conditions, including the background check. Is there any way you can run a background check and whatever the other 4 were to see if perhaps there something here.

We were confident that we had an excellent credit report. We always paid our bills, no credit card debt, zip. Then we went to buy something and our credit card report came back with us owing a bunch of money. It took a while to get it straightened out. But we had no hint that any of that was on our credit report.

Could be you were turned down over some misinformation on a background check, credit report, or ??
There's no confusion about whether something came up negatively on any kind of contingency, unless it was the background check, but it couldn't have been. As I look for another job, all employers for this kind of position will run a background check, and I know it won't be the reason I will be turned down. I don't know how else to put that. The 5 things were all things thay aren't debatable (for lack of a better way of saying it). They were:
1. Pass the background check (mine should be favorable)
2. Degree/credit hours verification (I have a B.A./177 credits)
3. Appropriately licensed (I am)
4. Possess a specific item required for said license (got it... couldn't have gotten the license without it)
5. Have a specific degree OR have passed specific exams (I have/did both. Both were also required for the license anyway).

This is why I think their excuse is BS and they just found someone local and simply changed their mind, and didn't want to tell me the truth. I'll never really know, but that's neither here nor there. Just really bad luck for me, I guess.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:26 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,854,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Oh, for heaven sakes. What a bunch of nonsense. That train had left the station by the time he wrote the email. If the HM was so touchy about his authority being questioned, be glad you didn't get the darn job.

More likely, neither the HM or anyone else even noticed.

Most HR depts. are so overwhelmed with paperwork for new hires, and going through applications for potential one, and dealing with employee problems, and one thing and another, my guess is you have just slipped through the cracks.

I'd too would be curious if it was the personality test or just what.

Alas, unless this is probably all the information you are going to get from these folks.
You need to actually read the thread to get the context. When the OP was looking to see if there were additional opportunities, as this company has additional positions available. I told her not to bother, since she's likely burnt that bridge.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
You need to actually read the thread to get the context. When the OP was looking to see if there were additional opportunities, as this company has additional positions available. I told her not to bother, since she's likely burnt that bridge.
I actually did read the thread. I think the comment about how the OP ruined any chance of getting another position by asking a question is off the mark. HR departments are busy. Once it is decided they are no longer pursuing a candidate, they lose all motivation for devoting any time to that person.

Whether they hired a local person, there were unacceptable answers on the personality assessment, the background check got mixed up with a serial killer's.... whatever, they are done and are moving on.

Now its possible there is a mean-spirited, vindictive HR person who will blacklist the OP for asking a question or making a comment they consider inappropriate. There are snarky, vindictive, mean-spirited people scattered among us. Even on C-D. amazingly enough

Old 05-09-2014, 05:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
HR is just a facilitator. Ultimate hire/fire decision is with the HM.
If you still think you have a job offer, go ahead and show up on the start date.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
HR is just a facilitator. Ultimate hire/fire decision is with the HM.
If you still think you have a job offer, go ahead and show up on the start date.
Yes, I understand this. If HR facilitates, why didn't they facilitate the notification?
It's pretty obvious I don't have the job. I'd be stupid to move across the country without having signed my contract, show up on my start date, and expect to get paid.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:53 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
Quote:
Yes, I understand this. If HR facilitates, why didn't they facilitate the notification?
It's pretty obvious I don't have the job. I'd be stupid to move across the country without having signed my contract, show up on my start date, and expect to get paid.
You were rejected by higher authority in this case than the HR department, and that person sent you the notice. The HM sent you a notice that your offer was rescinded. The HR department was notified you were not to be hired, and they were no longer involved with you. The HM is the one that is in charge of new hires. The HR department are just paper pushers in this situation, and they don't make decisions.

You are saying over and over, the HR department should have been the one to notify you. You were notified, by someone higher up the food chain than the HR department. There was no reason for the HR department to notify you, as you had been notified by the HM and that as far as HR was concerned was final, and they were no longer in the picture.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:15 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineyJainey View Post
If it's pretty obvious you don't have a job then I don't understand your "concern" on who has the "authority" to rescind your offer. Do you need the official rejection email or letter from HR and HR only for some purpose?

Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You were rejected by higher authority in this case than the HR department, and that person sent you the notice...

...There was no reason for the HR department to notify you, as you had been notified by the HM and that as far as HR was concerned was final, and they were no longer in the picture.
I guess the reason I'm bothered is that the hiring manager specifically told me twice that if I have any questions to contact so-and-so in HR, then provided me with the phone numbers and email addresses of two people in HR. So even though, from what I now understand, HR isn't required to be the one to notify me, I do feel they should contact me with a reply to my message to them. He also said, "Unfortunately, HR has rescinded the offer," meaning he had nothing to do with the decision. (Again, I can only assume what he is telling me is the truth.) So, I contacted HR with a question (for the purpose of this discussion, what my question was is irrelevant) like he told me I could, heard nothing back after over a week, contacted the HM again to inquire about how else to possibly get a hold of them, etc. I mean now, I've given up and am not going to pursue getting in touch with HR. But I've come to the conclusion that, based on this experience, I think all parties involved are being unprofessional. And that's just life, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
If it's pretty obvious you don't have a job then I don't understand your "concern" on who has the "authority" to rescind your offer. Do you need the official rejection email or letter from HR and HR only for some purpose?
Originally when I asked my question here on CD, I was really just wondering who in the hiring process is supposed to rescind an offer, whether an offer is considered rescinded if it didn't come from HR. It just seemed like they were being jerks about it and I was curious if they were "breaking the rules" as much as my naïve outlook led me to believe they were. That's all. And at this point, it's a discussion, not a means for determining what to do next.
Currently I do not NEED a letter from HR, but I might eventually when I start canceling stuff. I assume I won't though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search